calf training and size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calf training and size

my calves have always been a decent size so i really have never trained them ever. over the last 5 months or so my biceps have grown nearly an inch and i have started to think about training calves. i hear that they should be ~same size. im at 15.25-15.5 for arms and 16 for calves. this normal enough?

either way im going to do a little bit of calf training. trying to filter out nonsense from goods, i found skips post here

A couple things to remember:

You can train soleus the day after gastroc work but not the other way around. When you do gastroc work, you are still using the soleus muscle but to a lesser degree. Use depends on the exercise that you are doing for the gastroc, also. Point being, your gastrocs can be sore and you can still train soleus by doing seated calf work the following day.

Repetitions for calf work MUST be deliberate from full stretch to full squeeze and controlled. There should be no bouncing or half reps involved. I don't even like to count reps. I prefer to just go until I can't tolerate the pain anymore. Also, I don't rest pause on calf work in the traditional way. Instead of setting the weight down and allowing blood into the muscle for a brief period before continuing, I will hold the weight in the middle position of the range of motion for a brief time and then continue the set. This rest in the middle of the range of motion for some reason allows the burn to disipate slightly so that you can continue the set without setting the weight down.

Direct soleus work is best accomplished simply by doing seated calf raises where your legs are bent at roughly 90 degrees.

Direct gastroc work, of course, is best from things like standing calf raises.

Now, when doing gastroc work with a 90 degree bend AT THE HIPS for exercises like donkey calf raises (where you are bent over), you are going to get a little more involvement from the soleus along with the gastroc here because very few can do this movement without at least a slight bend at the knee. The more you bend at the knee, the more involvement from the soleus muscle.

You will hear some guys talking about different foot placement from toes in, toes out, etc.. I don't like to approach calf work this way. Hit the calves hard as hell for a while with toes pointing in a natural, straight ahead fashion and after you get some damned size, THEN you can see if you have specific lagging areas of the lower leg. If you do, don't focus as much on some contorted foot placement that only someone from the Cirque De Soleil could do but rather focus on where you are pushing from on the ball of your foot. If you push off of the ball of your foot closer to the big toe, you are going to feel the outer part of your calf getting a bit more stress. If you push off of the ball of your foot closer to your smaller toes, you will feel more stress on the meatier, inner head.

I also feel, in MY opinion, that there HAS to be a slight bend to the knee to be able to really hammer the outside, smaller head of the gastroc. If you slightly bend your knees while doing a gastroc exercise and push from closer to your big toe, you should be feeling that outer head working.

It is also my opinion that calves recover extremely quickly so they are one of the very few muscles that can be trained up to even 3 times a week.

Skip
    i was really considering doing the toes in toes out and pressiong on balls of the foot vs pressing from the outside of the foot to target the gast/soleus. what exercises are there that target the gastr and what target the soleus, in order to follow skips plan?

i am prepared for deathly calf cramps all week now, and it is going to suck but its worth it for diamond calves.

Drcrappants - If you are looking to bring up your calves, I think you might find the first post by Dante in this thread quite useful: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthr...ill#post565368

One of the best parts about it is you kill two birds with one stone, A) Torch your calves and B) Get in cardio
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

^^^ I did this and added some nice size to my calves, prob 3/4-1 inch to each over a year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
        Drcrappants - If you are looking to bring up your calves, I think you might find the first post by Dante in this thread quite useful: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthr...ill#post565368

One of the best parts about it is you kill two birds with one stone, A) Torch your calves and B) Get in cardio
        oh god i guess ill have to start doing cardio.

is this in addition to the calf training??

Comment

Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
          oh god i guess ill have to start doing cardio.

is this in addition to the calf training??
          I'm assuming you are referring specifically to the calf training protocol prescribed for DC, yes? But yes, the incline treadmill method is in ADDITION to the stretch-contract DC calf sets.

Ain't that fun now?
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

well that is terrible.

anyone have ideas on separating soleus/gastrocnemius work?

Comment

^^^ similar to the question i was going to ask

that thread by dc, the exercise he describes within, does it work both the soleus and the gastroc....the gastroc....erm, the one thats not the soleus

Comment

If you are training DC, then I would not advise doing anything that does not fit within the scope of DC and to address particular nuances and unique circumstances I would consult with Homonunculus.

Simply looking at the soleus, my understanding is that to fully recruit the soleus your knee needs to be bent at 90 degrees, so if that is in fact true, simply including something like seated calf raises within a DC program would solve your dilemma.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

^^^ kinda what i thought

i'm not doing dc but working with skip and for some inexplicable reason my gym decided to get rid of both the standing and the seated calf raise to add some crappy machines, so i'm having to do both calf exercises on the leg press, but i guess i can do the 15 min treadmill thing and then do some seated on the smith in addition

cheers mate

Comment

so i did the calves with the 5s negatives and 5s holds (should have been 15) and i realized i am a giant pussy. damn this is tough. cant even hold me legs straight without bending at the knee

Comment

Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
                      so i did the calves with the 5s negatives and 5s holds (should have been 15) and i realized i am a giant pussy. damn this is tough. cant even hold me legs straight without bending at the knee
                      Welcome the the big boy show. :bb:

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Tomorrow set the treadmill incline at 15, your speed around 3 mph and take a walk. :-)

Sent from my IdeaTab A2107A-F using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I like the treadmill walk on cardio days. Another good variant of the same principle is to use the step-mill and only let your TOES touch each stair.

Comment

wow turns out my anatomy has been entirely wrong, i always thought the inner part of the calf was the gastrocnemius and the outer "head" was the soleus. apparently the soleus is just a small muscle running along the outside of the calf and the gastrocnemius is BOTH of the 2 heads.

wtf?? i just have a large, solid "inner" gastroc and a small, flabby, uncontractable "outer" gastroc. anyone else have this type of calf?

Comment

For calf's its simple, Just do your sets till the hurt and then keep going!!!
                              "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
                              2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
                              2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
                              2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
                              2002 NPC Western Carolina:
                              2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Working...
                              X