• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bmp
    Lightweight Member
    • Dec 2011

First time getting ripped?

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask you guys about the first time you went on a diet to get that ripped look, like 10% body fat or less.

Although I have been on calorie-restricted diets to lose body fat before, I've never actually gotten "ripped". The lowest body fat I've probably ever been is 12%.

There are a few reasons why...I'm only 20 years old, and I started lifting in high school; I was just never that comfortable restricting my calories during a time in my life when my body was still developing.

Also, I have been on 2 diets in the past, but I noticed that you tend to plateau (went from >20% bf to ~12%, went from ~18% to ~14%). And after the first phase of fat loss, your metabolism slows down and your performance in the gym starts to suffer, this is where I feel you run risk of becoming catabolic and losing muscle.

Last reason being I never saw the point in trying to "cut" when you aren't at least somewhat big in the first place, otherwise you'll end up looking like a skinny twig.

But lately I have been thinking about, for the first time ever, trying to get to <10% body fat. It is a new physical challenge as well as a mental one too.

I am 6 ft ~200 lbs ~15% body fat (this is really a guess I have no clue about the body fat. I'm gonna buy some calipers so I can track it that way).

What I want to hear about is your experiences getting ripped for the first time. What was especially challenging about it? Did it shatter any preconceived notions? What would you have done differently?

Another thing, what time frame should I take to do this? I was thinking 16 weeks.

My plan is first to simply reduce caloric intake and milk that until weight loss stalls, one cheat meal per week to keep leptin levels up. Once I stall with that, carb cycling or keto type diet until I get the look I desire.
  • RageBlanket
    Raw SHW 1526 Total
    • Dec 2011

Sucked so badly I never did it again.

Honestly, I just don't have the diet discipline. I don't have enough quality mass to ever step on a BB stage, so I'll never compete in that area. As an aspiring PL competitor, I don't intend to be that lean either so it's simply not in MY wheelhouse.
    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

• trucelt
      IM Moderator and Intense Muscle Competitor
      • Feb 2006

my first diet was abotu 12 weeks and i went from right around 200lbs down to 167lbs....it was very hard, as i had ZERO cheat meals and no refeeds, skiploads or anything remotely like that. This was the late 90's and i followed a moderate protein, higher carb, low fat diet. It did however, get me shredded inside out and i did 2 contests a week apart and won my class in both.

personally i find lower carb higher fat diets easier to follow....
      '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
      17 AAU Super Total
      '16-AAU Hi
      '15-USPA Metro
      '15-USPA State
      '15-AAU HI
      '14-AAU HI
      '14-USPA Metro
      '14-WABDL Sonny's
      '14-USPA State
      '14-HI Strongman
      '13-USPA
      '13-WABDL Sonny's
      '13-USPA State
      '13-AAU HI
      '11-USPA Metro
      '10-NPC Stingrey
      '09-NPC Islands
      '09-NPC Stingrey
      '09-ABA Islands
      '02-ABA Islands
      '02-ABA IronWorks
      '01-NPC Paradise Cup
      '01-ABA Olympia
      '01-ABA Islands
      '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
      '00-INBF Musclefest
      '98-NGA Ill
      '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

• bmp
        Lightweight Member
        • Dec 2011

167? I'd look emaciated at that bodyweight, I'm 6ft tall

Comment

• bmp
          Lightweight Member
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by RageBlanket
          Sucked so badly I never did it again.

Honestly, I just don't have the diet discipline. I don't have enough quality mass to ever step on a BB stage, so I'll never compete in that area. As an aspiring PL competitor, I don't intend to be that lean either so it's simply not in MY wheelhouse.
          Have you thought about dieting to be more competitive at a lower weight class or for general health reasons?

Comment

• -AJA14-
            Light-heavyweight Member
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by bmp
            Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask you guys about the first time you went on a diet to get that ripped look, like 10% body fat or less.

Although I have been on calorie-restricted diets to lose body fat before, I've never actually gotten "ripped". The lowest body fat I've probably ever been is 12%.

There are a few reasons why...I'm only 20 years old, and I started lifting in high school; I was just never that comfortable restricting my calories during a time in my life when my body was still developing.

Also, I have been on 2 diets in the past, but I noticed that you tend to plateau (went from >20% bf to ~12%, went from ~18% to ~14%). And after the first phase of fat loss, your metabolism slows down and your performance in the gym starts to suffer, this is where I feel you run risk of becoming catabolic and losing muscle.

Last reason being I never saw the point in trying to "cut" when you aren't at least somewhat big in the first place, otherwise you'll end up looking like a skinny twig.

But lately I have been thinking about, for the first time ever, trying to get to <10% body fat. It is a new physical challenge as well as a mental one too.

I am 6 ft ~200 lbs ~15% body fat (this is really a guess I have no clue about the body fat. I'm gonna buy some calipers so I can track it that way).

What I want to hear about is your experiences getting ripped for the first time. What was especially challenging about it? Did it shatter any preconceived notions? What would you have done differently?

Another thing, what time frame should I take to do this? I was thinking 16 weeks.

My plan is first to simply reduce caloric intake and milk that until weight loss stalls, one cheat meal per week to keep leptin levels up. Once I stall with that, carb cycling or keto type diet until I get the look I desire.
            Save your money, and hire a Pro. They get paid for a reason.

I dieted 2 years ago, probably got down to 15%, but I lost a lot of strength.
            I told myself, next time I diet down, I will hire a pro.

Comment

• bmp
              Lightweight Member
              • Dec 2011

A little numbers game...

200 lbs at 15% bodyfat = 170 lbs LBM, 30 lbs fat mass

lose 20 lbs of fat and 5 lbs of muscle

165 lbs LBM, 10 lbs fat mass = 175 lbs at 5-6% body fat

Is it possible in 16 weeks?
              Last edited by bmp; 02-26-2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• bmp
                Lightweight Member
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by -AJA14-
                Save your money, and hire a Pro. They get paid for a reason.

I dieted 2 years ago, probably got down to 15%, but I lost a lot of strength.
                I told myself, next time I diet down, I will hire a pro.
                how much does this type of consultation cost? I am a broke college student

Comment

• cac3071
                  Bantamweight Member
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by bmp
                  167? I'd look emaciated at that bodyweight, I'm 6ft tall
                  most guys think so but to get stage ready you probably need to be about that if you think you are 200lbs @ 15%. At least im my opinion.
                  and yes you will look emaciated unless you are on gear.

Comment

• bmp
                    Lightweight Member
                    • Dec 2011

My goal isn't to be contest ready, I would be happy to get under 8% body fat honestly.

Comment

• cac3071
                      Bantamweight Member
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by bmp
                      My goal isn't to be contest ready, I would be happy to get under 8% body fat honestly.
                      hire skip

Comment

• -AJA14-
                        Light-heavyweight Member
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by bmp
                        how much does this type of consultation cost? I am a broke college student
                        Dont know. Skip would be able to answer you probably in a PM on what he charges though.

Comment

• bmp
                          Lightweight Member
                          • Dec 2011

I am not questioning Skip's ability to get people shredded. He has obviously proven himself many times over with all of his successful clients.

What I am questioning is whether hiring him is worth it to someone in my scenario:

1) Not a competitive athlete/No plans to compete
                          2) Not trying to get stage ready (<5% bodyfat)...Under 10% would satisfy me
                          3) Broke college student (maybe the $ would be better spent on food, or supplements like fish oil, creatine, multi, etc)

I'd be doing a 16 week diet, restrict calories until I'm hitting appropriate weight loss, BCAA's with fasted low intensity cardio, high pro/med fat/low-med carb depending on the day, carb-up once/week

probably lower training volume too.

Comment

• bmp
                            Lightweight Member
                            • Dec 2011

One of the biggest challenges I feel will be the mental aspect...numbers going down in the gym, feeling/looking flat, lower levels of energy, will seem like I'm just becoming a smaller/flabbier version of myself, clothes will be looser, etc...

Comment

• -AJA14-
                              Light-heavyweight Member
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by bmp
                              One of the biggest challenges I feel will be the mental aspect...numbers going down in the gym, feeling/looking flat, lower levels of energy, will seem like I'm just becoming a smaller/flabbier version of myself, clothes will be looser, etc...
                              That is why you hire a Pro, so none of that happens.

Comment

Working...