Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barbell Lap Squat Muscle Round (using Ironmind.com supersquat hip belt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbell Lap Squat Muscle Round (using Ironmind.com supersquat hip belt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pCF0WDnFPg

[YOUTUBE]8pCF0WDnFPg[/YOUTUBE]

This is a Barbell Lap Squat using a Super Squats Hip Belt made by Ironmind.com. The carabiners are from a set of Arm slings for doing hanging leg raises - they are large enough to fit around the bar.

Ideally the hip belt (some have done this with a dip belt) is cinched up tight enough to keep the bar very high on the thighs, near the crease of the hip. It's essential to have the bar centered of course. (I hadn't done these in months, so I was a little rusty.)

Also, you only want to use the hands for a smidge of balance, not to help you up, unless needed of course if you reach muscular failure.

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Looks bloody hard work that mate
    nabba north 2010 first timers - 6th place

Comment

Scott, have you ever used that belt squat belt for sissy squats?

And do you have a pad on the bar? Not trying to be weird or anything, but resting a non-padded barbell right across my junk does not have a lot of appeal.
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by hilly View Post
        Looks bloody hard work that mate
        I like them better than BB squats for the thighs. BB squats go right to the glutes and low back for me (but that has advantages, too.)

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
        Scott, have you ever used that belt squat belt for sissy squats?
        No, but I'm pretty sure the leaning back when doing a sissy squat would cause some problems with the junk, whichever way you hooked onto a bar or Post.

And do you have a pad on the bar? Not trying to be weird or anything, but resting a non-padded barbell right across my junk does not have a lot of appeal.
        If you look at the vid. again, you'll see that I mention adding the pad to the bar about the time I reach over and grap the bad and then place it on the bar.

-S
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Someone needs to invent a machine that does this lol
          :preach:

Comment

Originally posted by liftweights View Post
            http://strengthperformance.com/video...ons-belt-squat

-S
            The Book Has Arrived!
            The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post

No, but I'm pretty sure the leaning back when doing a sissy squat would cause some problems with the junk, whichever way you hooked onto a bar or Post.

If you look at the vid. again, you'll see that I mention adding the pad to the bar about the time I reach over and grap the bad and then place it on the bar.

-S
              Cool. Thanks. Now I see it...that's what I get for trying sneak in YouTube videos while at work.
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

They have! We have a machine at UMaine that is similar. You step up on a platform, in the middle is a small hole with a pulley that connects to a rack where you place the weight, you put on the belt and squat. Same thing, but no bar...pretty nice system. We only use it for guys with back issues, but I have used it a few times, but I personally am not comfortable with the belt. I am always concerned the belt will slide off and drop the weight stack.

Comment

Originally posted by Knickerbocker24 View Post
                  They have! We have a machine at UMaine that is similar. You step up on a platform, in the middle is a small hole with a pulley that connects to a rack where you place the weight, you put on the belt and squat. Same thing, but no bar...pretty nice system. We only use it for guys with back issues, but I have used it a few times, but I personally am not comfortable with the belt. I am always concerned the belt will slide off and drop the weight stack.
                  Chris, similar to this: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...p?m=PD&pid=349 ?

Although similar, I would think that the lap squat shifts the load as compared to a belt squat.

Scott, how do the lap squats compare to traditional belt squats?

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Yup, looks really similar.
                    Last edited by ; 02-22-2013, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Wow, until Louie introduced her I thought that was a guy!

Comment

Chris, similar to this: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...p?m=PD&pid=349 ?

Although similar, I would think that the lap squat shifts the load as compared to a belt squat.

Scott, how do the lap squats compare to traditional belt squats?
                        The lap squats are nice b/c you don't have to stand on anything, unlike when doing a normal belt squat. With weight between the legs, you need to be elevated (e.g., with some plates or heavy duty boxex) to have good clearance and to get good depth.

When I've done belt squats with a BB, balancing was the biggest thing, making sure the "daisy chains" were in the right position, etc. I'd much rather use a weight post and squat while standing on platforms or plates, but that's almost impossible to set up at most gyms. Lap squats can be done at pretty much any gym (with a hip squat belt).

As I mentioned, these can be done with a dip belt, but I've personally broke those doing dips with only 4 plates. Those lap squats were done with 405lb (and I've gone to 5 plates for regular straight sets) and I'm not trusting that to a regular old dip belt.

-S
                        The Book Has Arrived!
                        The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

What would happen if your belt snapped with 400lb+ on the bar while you were performing the exercise Scott?

Comment

What would happen if your belt snapped with 400lb+ on the bar while you were performing the exercise Scott?
                            Not too much, really. It would roll down my thighs and might bruise up the knee caps (guessing here), but the weight is pretty much entirely on the thighs at the bottom of the ROM, so it's not like the weight would come crashing down on my thighs...

-S
                            The Book Has Arrived!
                            The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

I'd just be worried about the kneecaps, but it seems like your setup is pretty solid. Time to invest in some equipment so i can finally get my quads bigger instead of my ass haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X