X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Study Shows Fasted Cardio Burns More Fat

Just the messenger...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130124091425.htm

Jan. 24, 2013 — People can burn up to 20% more body fat by exercising in the morning on an empty stomach, according to new research from Northumbria University.

In a study published online in the British Journal of Nutrition on January 24, academics sought to find out whether the known benefits of exercising after an overnight fast were undermined by an increased appetite and eating more food later in the day.
    Researchers, led by Dr Emma Stevenson and PhD student Javier Gonzalez, asked twelve physically active male participants to perform a bout of treadmill exercise at 10am, either after they had eaten breakfast or in a fasted state having not eaten since the evening before.

Following the exercise all participants were given a chocolate milkshake recovery drink. Later in the day, participants were provided with a pasta lunch which they were asked to consume until they felt 'comfortably full'. Their lunchtime consumption of energy and fat was assessed and calculated, taking into account the amount of energy and fat burned during the morning period.

The researchers discovered that those who had exercised in the morning did not consume additional calories or experience increased appetite during the day to compensate for their earlier activity.
    They also found that those who had exercised in a fasted state burned almost 20% more fat compared to those who had consumed breakfast before their workout. This means that performing exercise on an empty stomach provides the most desirable outcome for fat loss.
    Javier Gonzalez, who is currently undertaking a PhD in Exercise and Metabolism, said: "In order to lose body fat we need to use more fat than we consume. Exercise increases the total amount of energy we expend and a greater proportion of this energy comes from existing fat if the exercise is performed after an overnight fast.
    "Our results show that exercise does not increase your appetite, hunger or food consumption later in the day and to get the most out of your session it may be optimal to perform this after an overnight fast."
    Dr Emma Stevenson, Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Nutrition and Associate Director of Northumbria University's Brain, Performance and Nutrition Research Centre, added: "This research is very important in helping to provide practical guidelines relating to food intake to individuals who are exercising to maximise fat mass loss. It must be highlighted that this is a short-term study and we can only speculate on the longer term outcomes of such nutritional practices.
    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Why would it matter what fuel is burned? Burn "20% more fat" ... so?

My reply/question is simple: if two individuals do everything the same, burn the same total cals, maintain their muscle mass... all is equal and both are in a caloric deficit of 500 a day....but one does their cardio in a fasted state....will the results be any different in a cpl months? Nope.
    Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
    Nicki Minaj

Comment

Did you read the article?

Comment

So when they say "burn 20% more fat" are they saying that, if both groups burned X amount of calories, the fasted cardio group burned on average 20% more of those X calories through lipolysis rather than burning muscle or some other tissue?

Comment

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23340006

-S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by bmp View Post
            So when they say "burn 20% more fat" are they saying that, if both groups burned X amount of calories, the fasted cardio group burned on average 20% more of those X calories through lipolysis rather than burning muscle or some other tissue?
            Good question.

Comment

I only skimmed through the study, but it appears that the study used more of a LISS style cardio as compared to HIIT. From what many of us have found through experience is that doing LISS cardio fasted or on an empty stomach tends to lead to greater fat loss than doing LISS when full.

What I would find more interesting would be if they studied LISS cardio fasted and non-fasted versus HIIT cardio fasted and non-fasted and then tracked fat and carbohydrate oxidation and metabolic activity over a 24 hour period.
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
                Did you read the article?
                Yea.... please see my previous question/comment.

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

Nicki Minaj

Comment

hey Dun-

who's the baby???
                  '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                  17 AAU Super Total
                  '16-AAU Hi
                  '15-USPA Metro
                  '15-USPA State
                  '15-AAU HI
                  '14-AAU HI
                  '14-USPA Metro
                  '14-WABDL Sonny's
                  '14-USPA State
                  '14-HI Strongman
                  '13-USPA
                  '13-WABDL Sonny's
                  '13-USPA State
                  '13-AAU HI
                  '11-USPA Metro
                  '10-NPC Stingrey
                  '09-NPC Islands
                  '09-NPC Stingrey
                  '09-ABA Islands
                  '02-ABA Islands
                  '02-ABA IronWorks
                  '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                  '01-ABA Olympia
                  '01-ABA Islands
                  '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                  '00-INBF Musclefest
                  '98-NGA Ill
                  '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                    hey Dun-

who's the baby???
                    I was thinking the same thing. Shotgun Wedding??

No disrespect Dun. My wife was pregnant when we were married and we were engaged for 2 years.
                    2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                      Max Muscle
                      5020 Katella Ave.
                      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                        Yea.... please see my previous question/comment.
                        Yeah I did, that's why I asked.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
                          Yeah I did, that's why I asked.
                          Then I ask the same question again, why does it matter what you burn?

Dr. Seuss

Nicki Minaj

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                            hey Dun-

who's the baby???
                            Christopher, born feb 4th at 5:19 am. 7 lbs even but aint stopped eating since he broke out!!
                            Absolute perfection.

Dr. Seuss

Nicki Minaj

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                              Christopher, born feb 4th at 5:19 am. 7 lbs even but aint stopped eating since he broke out!!
                              Absolute perfection.
                              Congrats, and brilliant choice of names.
                              PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Working...
                              X