Fix my squat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix my squat

I switched over from DC to powerlifting for a while to get stronger.

While this has always happened on my squats, I'm more concerned now since the weights are so heavy:

At the bottom I tuck under, pretty badly (buttwink, some call it). I've never had any type of pain associated with it. (It actually feels 'normal' to me).

I've read two causes of this-

a. Hamstring/hip tightness
    b. Weak core

I've always had inflexible hamstrings, and the past months begun to focus on stretching multiple times per day.

Additionally I've added RDL's, Good mornings and back extensions as accessory lifts. Is there anything else I can do to fix this?
    TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Here is a vid of a recent squat

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10200445567326920" width="226" height="400" frameborder="0"></iframe>
    darkguitars2000
    Light-heavyweight Member
    Last edited by darkguitars2000; 02-15-2013, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Link doesn't work....
      Lee Salado, E.P.A.S.

Comment

google "agile 8". I usually stretch about 15 minutes before deep squatting, otherwise I have to use a box or keep it at parallel.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoroaster View Post
          google "agile 8". I usually stretch about 15 minutes before deep squatting, otherwise I have to use a box or keep it at parallel.
          I've seen Defranco's program before. I like it.

Have you done it for lengthy periods of time and seen improvements?

I do hamstring stretches, Hip external rotation stretch and QL stretch before squats as well.

Comment

Just saw this, may be helpful tp you...

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...rease_mobility
            SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by darkguitars2000 View Post
              I switched over from DC to powerlifting for a while to get stronger.

While this has always happened on my squats, I'm more concerned now since the weights are so heavy:

At the bottom I tuck under, pretty badly (buttwink, some call it). I've never had any type of pain associated with it. (It actually feels 'normal' to me).

I've read two causes of this-

a. Hamstring/hip tightness
              b. Weak core

I've always had inflexible hamstrings, and the past months begun to focus on stretching multiple times per day.

Additionally I've added RDL's, Good mornings and back extensions as accessory lifts. Is there anything else I can do to fix this?
              You're right regarding the cause, but to be a little more specific it's a weak anterior core. And, tight hamstrings are a pretty good thing (assuming you can control your pelvis) so I wouldn't go overly stretching them yet. Since I know you have access to a video, would you mind doing an overhead squat assessment just so I can see the big picture and rule out other imbalances? You probably know this because I know you have a degree in kines, but I'll just run through it anyways because sometimes people miss little details like foot and hand alignment.

OH Squat:

1. Set up feet shoulder width apart with toes pointing straight ahead
              2. The dowel should start on the back as in a squat (use a broom stick or similar, don't use a barbell if you can help it). Hold the dowel so that the elbow is at 90-degrees, then from there press OH and keep the arms locked out so the biceps bisect the ears.
              3. From there sit back and squat to the height of a chair.
              4. If you can try and film a few reps from the front, side, and back.
              ***If you can do this barefoot, keep your shirt tucked in, wear shorts, and don't make your shirt overly baggy. We want to see you low back, pelvis, hips, knees, ankles, and feet.

In the meantime for anterior core I would not work on trunk flexion like situps, crunches, etc. because you don't want trunk flexion...you don't want to shorten the rectus, you're better off training it isometrically and eccentriclally. You want anti-extension or to prevent lumbar extension. It may sound stupid, but unless you do these exercises daily, start with the basics and progress with mastery. If you haven't done core training this way don't jump right to the TRX. A few important keys on all these movements are 1) activate you glutes...they should be firing the whole time, 2) don't go into lumbar extension, a good cue for this is keep the rib cage down (if your rib cage is flared up, you're in lumbar extension), 3) stay out of the forward head posture or extension, a good cue is to make a double chin during the entire movement. So, squeeze the glutes, keep the rib cage down, and make a double chin. Good anterior core progressions are:

1. Forearm bridges/planks
              2. Stability ball rollouts
              3. Ab wheel rollouts
              4. TRX fallouts
              5. TRX flutter, & any variation from there to challenge
              Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2013, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks Cris!

So you think maybe adding an exercise or two at the end of my squat days and progressing from there would be enough?

I'll post an OH assessment as soon as I can get one done.

Comment

Originally posted by darkguitars2000 View Post
                  Thanks Cris!

So you think maybe adding an exercise or two at the end of my squat days and progressing from there would be enough?

I'll post an OH assessment as soon as I can get one done.
                  I'll hold off judgement until I see the assessment, but strengthening the anterior core will help. FWIW I would train them as part of your warm up, not after your strength exercises. You won't get the same level of effort afterwards as you will before and it will help activate the musculature and reinformce proper motor programs for posture that you will be more likely to carry over the dynamic multijoint lifts afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Salado View Post
                    Link doesn't work....
                    Just start copying from the HTTP and it works.

Comment

I used to have major serious Ham flexibility issues as well. The best thing I have ever done is work the stretch position. Start with some leg curl and focuse on getting as much blood in there as possible, from there I go to RDL and work the deepest stretch position (not exaggerated) possible and only come up 3/4 way then go straight down again as continuous tension as possible. This will make your ass cheeks sore lol. I alternate this with rack deads with a hard butt flex at the top. I got the idea from John and man I swear I've never felt my hams respond this well.
                      How long can you go without believing in YOURSELF, before you are officially dead!

This isn't "Tea-Time Relaxy-Muscle", this is INTENSE Muscle. Bring something to the table or don't fucking show up. - Sammich

Comment

Working...
                      X