Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better than "Pumping Iron" IMO...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Better than "Pumping Iron" IMO...

    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF8jsrdgGD0[/YOUTUBE]

    Key points:

    Rich Gaspari is a beast and super smart dude with crazy attention to detail. I never realized the different diet manipulations went back more than 25 years.

    Cameo Kneuer is hot even in that 80's look (Cory Everson's sister).

    I always heard of Lee Haney being a good guy. This vid just solidified it. Awesome person.
    Max Muscle
    5020 Katella Ave.
    Los Alamitos, CA 90720
    www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

  • #2
    I met Lee Haney at a show I did in 08. He was a speaker. I was walking around in the venue lobby by myself, he stopped me and said, "hey, saw your routine, great job and you looked great." Was awesome to meet someone like that.
    2005 HOA Natural Classic
    2006 OCB Midwest
    2007 ABA Natural Illinois
    2008 HOA Natural Classic
    2011
    NPC Mid-Illinois
    NPC Midwest Open
    NPC Natural Grand Prix
    2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
    2013
    USPA Illinois State
    NGA Heart of America
    NGA Clash of the Titans




    SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

    Comment


    • #3
      The vacuum...I loved watching old school bodybuilders do that.
      You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

      Comment


      • #4
        Great video. It was only up in separate clips for a while, nice to see it all as one. Strydom was awesome and quite lean too.

        Bannout seems like a douche and gives me the impression that his wife is his slave.
        Last edited by FK86; 02-15-2013, 03:08 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by FRANK_KOVACIC View Post
          Great video. It was only up in separate clips for a while, nice to see it all as one. Strydom was awesome and quite lean too.

          Bannout seems like a douche and gives me the impression that his wife is his slave.
          Hehe yeah...I think they just all have this sense of self-belief (Samir more than others) which is pretty cool.

          I really like how the old school bodybuilders are (or portrays themselves as) much more spiritual and mental than the new guys. Kinda sappy I know but pretty awesome. The only guy that seemed to not have this or express it as well was Kawak. Very intense, stoic. Reminiscent of the newer bodybuilders today.

          The fascination and dare I say, "delight", of competing in the sport of bodybuilding has been replaced with a hardcore, "in your face" outlook. Not to say that it's bad...just different. It's refreshing to watch these videos for me.

          That's why I was a big fan of Richard Jones. Kinda bummed to see him retire but he was one of the great last hopes keeping the "golden-age" of bodybuilding alive.

          [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2elKM4RuwI[/YOUTUBE]

          Just mute the music it sucks...

          [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGPLa-kO2oI[/YOUTUBE]
          Max Muscle
          5020 Katella Ave.
          Los Alamitos, CA 90720
          www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Will definitely watch when I get the time. Thanks

            Comment


            • #7
              Nice one. was surfing Youtube and found this one. It covers the 1980 Olym/arnold comback. Note the difference in aperance in tom platz in just 8 years.

              [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CoHgHICa44[/YOUTUBE]
              "SET NO LIMITS"

              "When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

              2015 NPC Supplement Express:
              2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
              2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
              2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
              2002 NPC Western Carolina:
              2002 NPC North Carolina State:

              Use Discount Code MMH353..

              Comment


              • #8
                Roy,

                I too prefer more old school bodybuilding. The training advice pre-Arnold is still relevant and works such as the 5x5 full-body workout approach. An unfortunate side effect of Arnold's immense popularity is that it brainwashed the world over that high volume sometimes double-split routines were the key to progress. Weider is viewed as this bodybuilding godfather with revolutionary techniques etc, which is a true testament to what he actually is, a brilliant businessman. Most people know that any magazine article and routine is ghost-written, but there are still many that do not. My own personal theory for why high volume became the norm is 2 reasons:

                1. More is better is a hard philosphy to shake on its own. From a marketing strategy it's very smart too. Portray the sponsored athletes as these superheroes that devote their life to working out and convince your audience that that's what it takes to be the best. Then clutter the remaining pages of the magazine with supplement ads stating that you to can withstand and progress with those workouts by taking certain products.

                2. When the whole Gold's crowd of the early '70s: Arnold, Draper, Waller, Zane, Columbu etc weren't working out, they were still hanging out in the gym. I don't think it's a far stretch to say that they eventually said "Well, since I'm here..." and then their workouts gradually got longer tacking on more sets.

                Being that this video is from the '80s, there's a lot that doesn't make sense to me training-wise, but that's definitely my favourite era. Most of my favourite bodybuilders are from that period of time. I certainly agree that the persona was a bit better. I know what you mean by the "in-your-face" attitude of today. There's 2 rather humorous videos of Lee Priest making fun of the way Warren and Jackson act on camera.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Never saw it before and I watched it all last night. This takes me back to my hey-day as a young aspiring 150 lb teen wannabe bodybuilder circa 84-88 or so. Then one day I woke and saw that I had terrible genetics and more importantly many of the guys I knew were living horrible lives as bouncers, janitors, or making min wage at the local gyms. So my dream died and it was all for the better.

                  HOWEVER I will agree that was the glory days of bodybuilding. It was just becoming mainstream and hardcore gyms were popping up everywhere (pre-dating the mega health clubs). The one thing that is missing now is a true "mecca" where all the big boys and girls went to train. Bodybuilding has become extremely decentralized with little pockets across the nation/world. Back in the day, SoCal, specifically Venice/Santa Monica was IT. Even if guys were not from there, they went out of their way to get there. I drove 2 hours just to watch the Barbarian Bros train one time as a teen. A guy I know married a gal who used to date Platz. A huge group of bodybuilders lived in the same apt complex right near the gym. The Barbarians, Platz and others. It was a very social setting, they all knew each other..hung out...did crazy shxt. That element is missing today. Not good or bad, just different.
                  Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have a little bit of a bias, so that may be influencing may be influencing my opinion. Granted, there is still quite a big population of young guys (16-25 years old) in commercial gyms in particular that still tend to gravitate towards a bodybuilding style of training. But, with the field of strength and conditioning growing, sport performance based semi-private gyms popping up, high school and college athletes gaining more access to qualified strength coaches, and the educational side of exercise science growing, people are steering away from a bodybuilding style of training for more of a movement based and sport performance enhancement style of training. I see more people working on other attributes of exercise like speed, agility, max strength, power, flexibility, joint balance, etc. versus just training for hypertrophy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Knickerbocker24 View Post
                      I have a little bit of a bias, so that may be influencing may be influencing my opinion. Granted, there is still quite a big population of young guys (16-25 years old) in commercial gyms in particular that still tend to gravitate towards a bodybuilding style of training. But, with the field of strength and conditioning growing, sport performance based semi-private gyms popping up, high school and college athletes gaining more access to qualified strength coaches, and the educational side of exercise science growing, people are steering away from a bodybuilding style of training for more of a movement based and sport performance enhancement style of training. I see more people working on other attributes of exercise like speed, agility, max strength, power, flexibility, joint balance, etc. versus just training for hypertrophy.
                      True dat true dat...what I'm saying is WITHIN that bodybuilding style of training/way of life, the spirit/delight/fascination of changing one's body has been replaced with hardcore/in-ya-face/rage. Which is just to reiterate, fine (hell I'm like that sometimes).
                      Max Muscle
                      5020 Katella Ave.
                      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                        True dat true dat...what I'm saying is WITHIN that bodybuilding style of training/way of life, the spirit/delight/fascination of changing one's body has been replaced with hardcore/in-ya-face/rage. Which is just to reiterate, fine (hell I'm like that sometimes).
                        Sorry, my comment was really meant as a reply to Swaminator's commentary on the de-centralization of bodybuilding. I should have replied to him...sorry.

                        I agree with what you're saying TRM. I like the old guy's way of going about their business too. It may not be as motivating to watch like before you hit the gym, but it has a heightened sense of camaraderie. They also tended to pay more attention to shape over size and based on their comments they probably took less PEDs. You look at them and their physiques look more attainable too. They just generally seemed I guess overall nicer, more welcoming, and more mainstream. Today's athletes seem a little more competitive, self absorbed, and extreme. I agree it's refreshing to watch the old way of thinking.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                          What I'm saying is WITHIN that bodybuilding style of training/way of life, the spirit/delight/fascination of changing one's body has been replaced with hardcore/in-ya-face/rage.
                          Speaking of "in-ya-face"...

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M69dABYbeME#t=35s

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Knickerbocker24 View Post
                            Sorry, my comment was really meant as a reply to Swaminator's commentary on the de-centralization of bodybuilding. I should have replied to him...sorry.

                            I agree with what you're saying TRM. I like the old guy's way of going about their business too. It may not be as motivating to watch like before you hit the gym, but it has a heightened sense of camaraderie. They also tended to pay more attention to shape over size and based on their comments they probably took less PEDs. You look at them and their physiques look more attainable too. They just generally seemed I guess overall nicer, more welcoming, and more mainstream. Today's athletes seem a little more competitive, self absorbed, and extreme. I agree it's refreshing to watch the old way of thinking.


                            Originally posted by FRANK_KOVACIC View Post
                            LOLOL...oh Kev, get some carbs!

                            Kevin's the man.
                            Max Muscle
                            5020 Katella Ave.
                            Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                            www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Knickerbocker24 View Post
                              Sorry, my comment was really meant as a reply to Swaminator's commentary on the de-centralization of bodybuilding. I should have replied to him...sorry.

                              I agree with what you're saying TRM. I like the old guy's way of going about their business too. It may not be as motivating to watch like before you hit the gym, but it has a heightened sense of camaraderie. They also tended to pay more attention to shape over size and based on their comments they probably took less PEDs. You look at them and their physiques look more attainable too. They just generally seemed I guess overall nicer, more welcoming, and more mainstream. Today's athletes seem a little more competitive, self absorbed, and extreme. I agree it's refreshing to watch the old way of thinking.
                              OK you are right about that IMO in that the new "trend" is not bodybuilding. It's the so-called "functional training." Like it or not, Cross-fit is far and away the new big thing out here in SoCal. Cross-Fit gyms are everywhere and they really draw the young crowd because guys and girls can workout side by side. It is a very cult-like following, they dress similar, eat similar, post photos on Facebook regularly, socialize away from the gym as a group etc. Actually Cross-fit has replaced what bodybuilding was circa 1982-1990 or so. Bodybuilding (competitive) has become decentralized and here in Orange County where there used to be about 5-6 hardcore bodybuilding gyms there really are none now. But, there are dozens of xfit gyms. And the real big money is the sports performance gyms that focus on teens and their parents money (in order to get them college scholarships). Not saying its better or worse...just the way it is.
                              Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X