Straps: Yes or No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straps: Yes or No?

So recently I lost my straps they were some expensive versa grips, very nice.

But lately I'm wondering if I should buy another pair (if I do it'll probably be a cheap canvas pair, I don't know if I can justify dropping another $50 on straps...) or just start training without them.

They do help me squeeze out a couple extra reps on my back exercises. Barbell rows and DB rows in particular

now I'm not really working with really big weights though. 225 for 3 sets of 5 on BB rows when I'm fresh, 110 lb DBs for set of 10 about half-way into my other back workout (after some Pullups and seated cable rows).

also, my forearms/arms really just suck. I think my forearms are like 12 inches in circumference.

So I'm wondering, maybe I should just ditch the straps? Perhaps doing so will spur some growth in my forearms, and this will also get me some growth in my arms? IDK

My lifting routine is high volume/frequency, Layne Norton's PHAT

On the other hand I can trap bar deadlift 3.5 plates for 3 sets of 7 without straps, and my forearms still suck. So idk if not using them is actually gonna work or not.

OK I realize that was pretty jumbled and unorganized but what are your guys' 2 cents on this? I'm 20 yrs old 6 ft 198 lbs

I only use straps for my 2 or 3 working sets. No straps during warm ups. I only use them now because I've used them for so long that I would have to reset weights (grip) for some of my back exercises if I didn't. I do back exercises for back, not for forearms.

If you are looking to improve your forearms, find Dante's post about one arm reverse cable curls with the umph at the end. They work.

I also think Skip wrote something about straps not too long ago.

Sorry I don't have links. You will have to search them out

Comment

I've limited my straps to only dumbbell rows for my top set. My arms suck and I want crazy grip-strength so I just chalk up and have at it. If my grip fails, it fails.
      Max Muscle
      5020 Katella Ave.
      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

It depends on your overall goal and the program you are following. If you are doing direct forearm work before back, then your forearms don't need to be worked again and are going to be the limiting factor in the movement.

But if you are trying to develop grip strength and are not doing direct forearm work, then straps should probably be used as infrequently as possible and only on sets/movements where your forearms will limit you.

I think what it really comes down to is, asking, what is the goal of this movement? Can I maximally fatigue the muscle without using straps? Would using straps enable to more control and deeper stimulation? Are my forearms going to limit my ability on the movement?
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I think this is the link you are talking about Dice77:

Build Bigger Forearms Without Training Them

http://www.musclemag.com/muscle-buil.../#.ULaYD4fAfXQ
          2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

I do back exercises for back, not for forearms. So I guess I'll just buy some new straps. I just wasn't sure if there was some type of "you have to be X strong before you use straps" dogma. Guess not.

Direct arm work should take care of arms.

Comment

Or you could use chalk so your grip is never the weak link...after you develop one.
              You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

my grip has always been the weak link on rowing exercises, and I've used chalk in the past, still doesn't change the fact

Comment

BMP, using straps is pretty much a necessity for me. Y'all can call me a bitch for using them, but the proof is in the pudding hehehe So don't feel like you are short changing yourself by any means as long as you are using them right. Not for BS warm-up sets.

I am doing bis, forarms , BackW and BackT and by the time I get to back, my forearms are so pumped with blood and screaming in pain that there is no way I am gripping anything relatively heavy. Using the straps allows me to focus on targeting the muscles I want to work and not worry about ancillary muscles.

I use these ones from Elite FTS, they are the most badass straps I have ever used: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=482&pid=3136
                  Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                  2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                  2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I've used nothing but sports authority $15 straps for the last 3 years and I use them on every pulling movement. Pullups with 45 lb plates, chest rows with 4 plates, deadlifts with 5 plates, etc. And they haven't even worn down. I do only use them for my top set though, not for warmups or anything.

I don't see the need for the expensive ones unless you're a freak.

Comment

i only use straps on deads, working sets only

like you say, back exercises are for your back and so thats the most important muscle group in that particular exercise

Comment

Originally posted by bmp View Post
                        my grip has always been the weak link on rowing exercises, and I've used chalk in the past, still doesn't change the fact
                        If you keep using the straps on all of your sets, your forearms will remain the week link. Get yourself a really nice, expensive pair and get used to using them. You're gonna need em.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                        Instagram: @intensemuscle
                        YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                        TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by bmp View Post
                          Apparently you haven't done it enough if your grip remains the problem.
                          You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
                            Apparently you haven't done it enough if your grip remains the problem.
                            And Bingo.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                            Instagram: @intensemuscle
                            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Training forearms BEFORE back thickness and NOT using straps was what made my grip strength shoot up.

But like mental said, everything depends on your goals.
                              "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Working...
                              X