trapezius height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trapezius height

just curious about anatomy, but from what i've learned there are 3 parts to the trapezius: upper mid and lower. does training the upper trapezius give the "high attachment" look when relaxed? or is that a result of genetics or 'posing'?

ex:
    lower attachment

higher attachment

also, when you shrug, do you primarily see the middle traps?

thanks for spreading the knowledge
    Last edited by greensoup; 01-22-2013, 05:53 AM.

Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
    just curious about anatomy, but from what i've learned there are 3 parts to the trapezius: upper mid and lower. does training the upper trapezius give the "high attachment" look when relaxed? or is that a result of genetics or 'posing'?
    jpg[/IMG]

also, when you shrug, do you primarily see the middle traps?

thanks for spreading the knowledge

IMO both those guys have the exact same level of trap development... except the one with the gay hairstyle ( I can hear the Zyzz fans stirring furiously ) is actively depressing his shoulders...

Well first things first, this term "high attachment" is wrong. The upper trapezius fibers originate at the back of your head and insert (attach ) at the third lateral of the clavique. So it's more of "attachment width" than "high/low attachment".

I'm breaking my head trying to figure out what you mean with "high attachment look".

Are you asking if training the upper trap fibers causes you to have visibly developed traps while relaxed ? Obviously the answer is yes (Picture related)

Are you asking if that "look" is a result of genetics or activelly trying to shrug all the time ? Genetics, maybe, Skip or Homon will have to answer this one because they work with a lot of people and they can say what hole genes play in Trap development (IMO just train them and they'll grow, origin/insertion don't matter much). A result of posing ? That too, it's what I call the "Tom Hardy delusion Syndrome", very similar to the "Invisible Lat Syndrome." Lol.

So, basic answer. Shrug a lot and you'll get the "look" you're after without having to pose.

No, you don't see your middle trap fibers when you shrug. Unless you are shrugging between two mirrors and looking at your back while doing so.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 0001Delta; 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM.
    "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

lol'd at the tom hardy syndrome..exactly what i thought before reading your post.

Invisible lat syndrome, plenty of that from where im from..funny how its always the people with severly under developed lats/back who think "carrying carpets" makes them look like a boss..personally It reminds me of the Hunchback of Notre Dam.

Back to traps.
      Train them like every other bodypart. Hard and heavy. do you really want traps from ear to ear and then have underdeveloped shoulders and arms. Delta got it spot on

Comment

is this a real question?
        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
        17 AAU Super Total
        '16-AAU Hi
        '15-USPA Metro
        '15-USPA State
        '15-AAU HI
        '14-AAU HI
        '14-USPA Metro
        '14-WABDL Sonny's
        '14-USPA State
        '14-HI Strongman
        '13-USPA
        '13-WABDL Sonny's
        '13-USPA State
        '13-AAU HI
        '11-USPA Metro
        '10-NPC Stingrey
        '09-NPC Islands
        '09-NPC Stingrey
        '09-ABA Islands
        '02-ABA Islands
        '02-ABA IronWorks
        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
        '01-ABA Olympia
        '01-ABA Islands
        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
        '00-INBF Musclefest
        '98-NGA Ill
        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

What did you type to search for the guys above? Ha

I think I know what you are asking, but I think some just have much more muscle than others, which changes the perceived look.
          2005 HOA Natural Classic
          2006 OCB Midwest
          2007 ABA Natural Illinois
          2008 HOA Natural Classic
          NPC Mid-Illinois
          NPC Midwest Open
          NPC Natural Grand Prix
          2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
          USPA Illinois State
          NGA Heart of America
          NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

In this words of our beloved Sammich...

Stop it.
            Max Muscle
            5020 Katella Ave.
            Los Alamitos, CA 90720
            www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

god damn that second guy is sexy.

Comment

OP - Don't let them give you too much crap. Even though your pictures are slightly gay, I understand your question. I myself have the first look with wider clavicles and "lower" looking lats from the front, even though they are very well developed from the back (Rear double bi). The "A-Frame" lat look in the second set of pictures is IMO genetics and I know a few people that have that look in my gym that don't really work their traps much at all. I personally think that over-developed traps make your shoulders look even more narrow, and it is not a look I would "work towards". I like big traps and work mine quite a bit, but if I had the "A-frame" genetics to begin with, I would work my side delts like a mother and lay off the shrugs! LOL!
                "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

I think punching those dudes in their meticulously coiffed melons is the only acceptable answer.
                  You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxNat View Post
                    OP - Don't let them give you too much crap. Even though your pictures are slightly gay, I understand your question. I myself have the first look with wider clavicles and "lower" looking lats from the front, even though they are very well developed from the back (Rear double bi). The "A-Frame" lat look in the second set of pictures is IMO genetics and I know a few people that have that look in my gym that don't really work their traps much at all. I personally think that over-developed traps make your shoulders look even more narrow, and it is not a look I would "work towards". I like big traps and work mine quite a bit, but if I had the "A-frame" genetics to begin with, I would work my side delts like a mother and lay off the shrugs! LOL!
                    slightly????

Of all he BB you could have used for this thread, you use these??
                    "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
                    2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
                    2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
                    2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
                    2002 NPC Western Carolina:
                    2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

holy crap i opened this thread and i just realized how hard the homo kicked me in the face!! i was considering putting "sorry for the gayness" but didnt in the op.

@delta, i meant the upper traps seem to attach higher up on his neck than the other guys (whose attach at midneck). i didnt consider development wise though. never heard of tom hardy syndrome, but get the idea with the invisible lats. and am i pretty much only seeing the upper fibers when looking in a mirror and shrugging then?
                      and how do you depress your shoulders naturally with ease? i've had no luck trying this.

@truecelt
                      no trolling here, just very curious and...gay

@maxnat: lower looking lats...do you mean traps? otherwise im confused. good tip about traps making shoulders look narrow, i totally have not thought about this. have anyone in mind (pics) who have this problem?

ya i pretty much deduced it was genetics in terms of upper trapezius attachment and size

Comment

Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
                        @delta, i meant the upper traps seem to attach higher up on his neck than the other guys (whose attach at midneck). i didnt consider development wise though. never heard of tom hardy syndrome, but get the idea with the invisible lats. and am i pretty much only seeing the upper fibers when looking in a mirror and shrugging then?
                        and how do you depress your shoulders naturally with ease? i've had no luck trying this.
                        The upper traps doesn't attach on the neck, that's what I'm trying to say, it originates from that area (in laymans terms that's where that muscle is "born"). Just trying to educate you on the matter of origins and insertions, not trying to be a douche, srs.

Probably the second guy has a higher degree of trap development or, his traps attach closer to his midline which makes it look "high".

You depress your shoulders down by letting them "hang". Or by slighly flexing the pecs/slightly shrugging. You never did this ? It's like doing a thumbs up just to flex your arm on pictures, every douchebag does it to "Pose without posing".

Tom Hardy syndrome is a serious problem that is plagging 60% of america's male youth! Symptoms may include coughing, trying to join a MMA tournament, speaking in a monotone British accent, and trying to kill Batman.
                        "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

This is really a simple issue, IMO.

Heavy deads and squats, along with heavy rows and OH presses and the traps will end up pretty damn well developed, no shrugs needed.

-S
                          The Book Has Arrived!
                          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

I have no idea who the first male is however just to point out that Zyzz (Aziz Sergeyevich Shavershian) is deceased.
                            "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                            Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                            'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                            ~William Bernbach

Comment

Originally posted by fitlover View Post
                              god damn that second guy is sexy.
                              he dead...:peep:
                              SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Working...
                              X