Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Palumbo Keto Diet hypocrite?

Hello All,
    I was just looking at some of the information regarding the Keto diet. Now I know it has been around a while and this is not the first time I have checked it out.
    I was reading a comment from someone regarding what Dave admitted to taking during his days in the trenches. (I will say this... he is a genetic freak in the fact that he didn't drop dead from all the stuff he was taking.) He mentions taking slin. I do not want to get into a topic or debate regarding AAS but the idea that he developed the use of fats and almost no carbs on slin shows to me that it is not something he could have done without dying during his days in the trenches.
    Now I am not so much interested in him being a hypocrite as much as I am interested in people’s feelings on the KETO diet. I know the guy knows his stuff but I am curious as to people who have tried his diet and how they feel about it in comparison to other diets they may have had better or less then better results. I realize I can contact Skip and others for great information; I just want to know if it is a waste of time to eat 300 grams of protein 100 grams of fat a day and only one carb meal a week.

Originally posted by barrym1986 View Post
    Hello All,
    I was just looking at some of the information regarding the Keto diet. Now I know it has been around a while and this is not the first time I have checked it out.
    I was reading a comment from someone regarding what Dave admitted to taking during his days in the trenches. (I will say this... he is a genetic freak in the fact that he didn't drop dead from all the stuff he was taking.) He mentions taking slin. I do not want to get into a topic or debate regarding AAS but the idea that he developed the use of fats and almost no carbs on slin shows to me that it is not something he could have done without dying during his days in the trenches.
    Could you rephrase this?... (I can't tell what you're suggesting here. Is the Dave Palumbo we see today a resurrected version of Dave from his competitive days?...)

Now I am not so much interested in him being a hypocrite as much as I am interested in people’s feelings on the KETO diet. I know the guy knows his stuff but I am curious as to people who have tried his diet and how they feel about it in comparison to other diets they may have had better or less then better results. I realize I can contact Skip and others for great information; I just want to know if it is a waste of time to eat 300 grams of protein 100 grams of fat a day and only one carb meal a week.
    Have you googled this topic?... I ask simply because this is one of the most covered topics in bodybuilding, so there's all sorts of interesting stuff out there...

This is the best source of info, IMO:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-ketogenic-diet

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

redacted because I'm a retard
      Sammich
      Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625
      Last edited by Sammich; 01-16-2013, 11:01 PM. Reason: WRONG GUY, NUMBNUTS
      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
      kind of a douche

Comment

Clearly not the same Dave. The clarifying would be that he obviously was 20 times bigger when he was competing. When he competed he mentioned part of his cycle involved insulin. So for me it’s hard to go ahead and do the diet when I know there is a huge chance it is not what he had used during his days. Had he boatloaded a bunch of insulin and his only carbs came from fats, I don’t think his competitive days would have lasted long in that scenario. I am not saying he himself said that is the diet he used when he was competing as well; I just simply am stating that to me it seems like a phrase would apply here… “Do as a say, not as I do”.
        I have indeed researched the topic and I was even looking to try and find it on the forum. I just don’t feel like I have had a direct answer on diets that people have experienced as a diet they prefer when cutting. My problem with the diet from before was that I still felt way too fat but it was mostly because I was extremely flat and there was no glycogen in my muscles.
        On a side note I have been doing this diet for about a week and a half now but I am finding that it is tearing up my stomach. Maybe my body is just going through and adjustment phase of the high protein and fat or it really just isn’t good for me to not eat anything other than eggs , chicken, steak, whey, almonds, peanut butter and salad leaves.
        I guess a critique from people I actually feel comfortable taking advice from or learning from their experiences is more or less what I am looking for.
        barrym1986
        Last edited by barrym1986; 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
          Could you rephrase this?... (I can't tell what you're suggesting here. Is the Dave Palumbo we see today a resurrected version of Dave from his competitive days?...)

Have you googled this topic?... I ask simply because this is one of the most covered topics in bodybuilding, so there's all sorts of interesting stuff out there...

This is the best source of info, IMO:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-ketogenic-diet

-S
          Dave Palumbo died 11 years ago from taking insulin without carbs.

The current version of him we see is a clone made from a mixture of 2 strands of his hair, umbilical stem cells, LBA's, and macadamia nut oil.
          Lee Salado, E.P.A.S.

Comment

Clearly not the same Dave. The clarifying would be that he obviously was 20 times bigger when he was competing.
            Dave does not follow a keto diet these days

When he competed he mentioned part of his cycle involved insulin. So for me it’s hard to go ahead and do the diet when I know there is a huge chance it is not what he had used during his days.
            I highly doubt he was suggeting that someone "boatload" insulin when in ketosis. (You're likely mixing off-season vs. precontest dieting.)

Had he boatloaded a bunch of insulin and his only carbs came from fats, I don’t think his competitive days would have lasted long in that scenario. I am not saying he himself said that is the diet he used when he was competing as well; I just simply am stating that to me it seems like a phrase would apply here… “Do as a say, not as I do”

Perhaps your posting on your phone here?... Your posts are somewhat non-sensical and random.

I've already given you the best source of info out there (Lyle's book).The answers to your questions are readily available, both in anecdote, in articles with various scientific rigor and in Lyle's book:

http://bit.ly/ZY7ErJ

I have indeed researched the topic and I was even looking to try and find it on the forum. I just don’t feel like I have had a direct answer on diets that people have experienced as a diet they prefer when cutting. My problem with the diet from before was that I still felt way too fat but it was mostly because I was extremely flat and there was no glycogen in my muscles.
            Which diet?...

On a side note I have been doing this diet for about a week and a half now but I am finding that it is tearing up my stomach.
            Which diet?....

Maybe my body is just going through and adjustment phase of the high protein and fat or it really just isn’t good for me to not eat anything other than eggs , chicken, steak, whey, almonds, peanut butter and salad leaves.
            I guess a critique from people I actually feel comfortable taking advice from or learning from their experiences is more or less what I am looking for.
            http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....c+diet+Palumbo

Originally posted by Lee Salado View Post
            Dave Palumbo died 11 years ago from taking insulin without carbs.

The current version of him we see is a clone made from a mixture of 2 strands of his hair, umbilical stem cells, LBA's, and macadamia nut oil.
            That's exactly what I heard... and that they neglected to include isolyze in the mix, thus leading to his relatively slight build in comparison to DP version #1...

-S
            The Book Has Arrived!
            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Thank you for the information I appreciate it. I am gonna look up the forum a little bit later. It looks like that was the exact thread I was looking. And I am working so I am running around and therefor my posts are not as clear as I'd like them to be.
              On another note... I immediately thought of that movie the 6th day or whatever it was where Arnold has a clone. Haha the hair plug had me laughing out loud at work where everyone pretty much just looked at me strange.
              Also I am thinking that three 50 gram shakes with crap protein may be the reason for my stomach problems... I may have to order some isolate and just put the shell the money out.

Comment

Thank you for the information I appreciate it. I am gonna look up the forum a little bit later. It looks like that was the exact thread I was looking. And I am working so I am running around and therefor my posts are not as clear as I'd like them to be.
                On another note... I immediately thought of that movie the 6th day or whatever it was where Arnold has a clone. Haha the hair plug had me laughing out loud at work where everyone pretty much just looked at me strange.
                Also I am thinking that three 50 gram shakes with crap protein may be the reason for my stomach problems... I may have to order some isolate and just put the shell the money out.
                No problemo.

Yeah, 150g of crappy protein / day could do that to your gut, esp. if you weren't doing that with a carb-containing diet.

-S
                The Book Has Arrived!
                The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Everyone's probably different but Keto is my favorite diet. I have more energy, am more focused and more productive at work while in Ketosis.
                  Save 5% at www.truenutrition.com with the Discount Code TEI736!

Comment

The keto diet suggested by Palumbo, for a 200 pound person is as follows:

5 omega eggs and 4 egg whites

50 gram shake tablespoon all natural peanut butter

8 oz chicken half cup almonds

8 oz steak and a salad with olive oil and vinegar

I am def going to get some better quality isolate protein. However, I am thinking that I may drop to three 35 gram protein shakes a day. I am thinking I may add a fiber supplement or just add some fiber related veggies to help deal with the stresses it has on my stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                      There's your first problem.
                      Sammich, you don't like Dave Palumbo? Why?
                      If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                      http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                      2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                      2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

Originally posted by Andre Gregoire View Post
                        Sammich, you don't like Dave Palumbo? Why?
                        Ignore my post, I had him confused with a completely different person because I'm retarded.
                        I know very little of Dave Palumbo, so I have nothing against him.
                        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                        kind of a douche

Comment

Truthfully I'm not a huge fan. I like the guy and what he has to say but in no way shape or form do I ever want to look the way he did. There is a a quote from an extremely profound movie (Jurassic Park). Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should. My version of modern day bodybuilding. Some of these guys have just gotten so big (for instance on stage Dave Palumbo's biggest body part is his head and abs/stomach...) Who the hell wants to look like a they have a beer belly with a coule abs slapped on top... I appreciate the fact that he could gain so much muscle and that he did... but I think he would have been better off worrying more about symetry and proportion rather then sporting a 52 inch waist on stage (obviously not that big).
                          You would think I am a huge Phil H fan. I am not but I think that it is a huge step in the right direction. Modern day body building a guy like Frank McGrath has no chance but in my own opinion he should be holding the Sandow.
                          Sorry for the rant it is off topic but as for Dave Palumbo as a person and a guy who has some good stuff to share... I appreciate and respect him for that.

Comment

Also went to jail for ripping people off almost a decade ago. I think he gives pretty good diet advice, but not someone I would associate myself with personally.

Comment

dave never turned pro so obviously his look which you dont like so much was never rewarded. i dont care for how he looked either and his usage was apparently pretty extreme but he got the most out of his genetics and thats really what bodybuilding is about. not everyone has the naturally given muscle shape to be a pro or look "pretty" on stage but that doesnt mean they should just give up.

Comment

Working...
                              X