Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

smelling salts and other harmless substances (awake)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smelling salts and other harmless substances (awake)

anyone use smelling salts either for lifting or for something like waking up? what are your experiences? any specific types? TIGER BALM?

i would like to wake and start my day in a flash. and hit a huge PR once in a while.

Tiger Balm as a substance to wake the senses? I use it on injuries, like strains and muscle pain, but not to wake up.

I used ammonia back in high school before football games and wrestling meets. Just the shock of the scent hitting your sinuses seems to get you in the zone.

One of the guys at my gym, 242lb powerlifter with a raw 800+ deadlift and 750+ squat always uses smelling salts before his lifts. You can look him up mike (or Michael) Eaton. He's a beast
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
      Tiger Balm as a substance to wake the senses? I use it on injuries, like strains and muscle pain, but not to wake up.

I used ammonia back in high school before football games and wrestling meets. Just the shock of the scent hitting your sinuses seems to get you in the zone.

One of the guys at my gym, 242lb powerlifter with a raw 800+ deadlift and 750+ squat always uses smelling salts before his lifts. You can look him up mike (or Michael) Eaton. He's a beast
      im just trying to hit a 500+ deadlift! sounds like it might be a waste for me to hit the ammonia.

how has tiger balm helped? i recall it had a minty scent so i wanted to just rub it near my nostrils and take a whiff

Comment

Smelling salts work well, used to use them all the time when squatting heavy.
        -KidRok-
        "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
        5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

I use them before heavy deads.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
          2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
          2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
          2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
          2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
            im just trying to hit a 500+ deadlift! sounds like it might be a waste for me to hit the ammonia.

how has tiger balm helped? i recall it had a minty scent so i wanted to just rub it near my nostrils and take a whiff
            Tiger Balm does help when you are injured. I use the red extra strength one. It works good but stains EVERYTHING. I know they sell a non-staining one but that is not as strong.

Why wouldn't smelling salts/ammonia help you? It might give you that "in the zone" sensation. Even if it is just mental, the process of getting yourself prepared mentally by using the smelling salts could benefit you. They are dirt cheap, why not buy some and try them out...if they help, great, if not, so be it.
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
              Tiger Balm does help when you are injured. I use the red extra strength one. It works good but stains EVERYTHING. I know they sell a non-staining one but that is not as strong.

Why wouldn't smelling salts/ammonia help you? It might give you that "in the zone" sensation. Even if it is just mental, the process of getting yourself prepared mentally by using the smelling salts could benefit you. They are dirt cheap, why not buy some and try them out...if they help, great, if not, so be it.
              i was under the impression you could grow a resistance to it (from what i read), and that it may affect you negatively with side effects in the long run since it is whiffing chemicals to the brain?

if those are not concerns, then shit i will have a whiff every morning to get my lard ass out of bed and hit some fat PR's

Comment

I remember Adam on this board using smelling salts for his mid-400 deads for reps for the ISOM.

From those who have experience with it, are there any long-term ramifications to using it on the regular? And when I mean regular, I mean once a week.
                Max Muscle
                5020 Katella Ave.
                Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                  I remember Adam on this board using smelling salts for his mid-400 deads for reps for the ISOM.

From those who have experience with it, are there any long-term ramifications to using it on the regular? And when I mean regular, I mean once a week.
                  I still use it at about that rate... once a week. And only really for deadlifting. The last set or maybe 2 but no more. I certainly haven't noticed any negative health effects or building of tolerance. I am as sensitive to it as always. One good sniff gives a nice "rush" that lasts a few seconds.

Does it really physically do anything or is it just a placebo effect? I don't know but since it seems to help with the heavy stuff I will keep doing it.
                  Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

i was under the impression you could grow a resistance to it (from what i read), and that it may affect you negatively with side effects in the long run since it is whiffing chemicals to the brain?

if those are not concerns, then shit i will have a whiff every morning to get my lard ass out of bed and hit some fat PR's

Yeah, I don't know enough about the long term effects. Maybe someone with a good science background can provide some insight....

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I can stick ammonia caps up my nose and I still won't get this fabled "rush".

I have to take several sniffs until I get the "wake-up" effect
                      "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post

did you use it often in the past to build up this resistance or was it always like this (boogers maybe)??

Comment

did you use it often in the past to build up this resistance or was it always like this (boogers maybe)??
                          Always like this lol.

It's probably related to a issue I have called "septum deviation" (irregular bone growth in the inner septum which gets in the way of airflow)
                          "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post

Maybe you're a zombie.
                            Max Muscle
                            5020 Katella Ave.
                            Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                            www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

maybe you're a zombie.
                              [ATTACH]43212[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                              X