High levels of iron in my blood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High levels of iron in my blood

So before Christmas, I had some blood taken, spent some time in the hospital for either an abscess or fissure in my butt, was on antibiotics and seems to have cleared up.

2 + weeks ago, I started the Heckman Flush and things seem to be progressing nicely.

Dr called me last Thursday and wanted another blood sample taken, as she was concerned about my iron levels. I just assumed it was low, as I have a blood disorder Thalasemia (sp) which is low iron.

She called me again yesterday and wanted more blood done, as it was HIGH levels of iron, not low. I see her on Friday, but I wanted to get some prior information to see what I am dealing with.

I have read that certain supplements can cause high iron, such as Multivitamins, and that taking Vitamin C can cause your body to hold onto iron more.

Supps I take...
    2-3 500mg vit c
    4000iu Vit D3
    1 multi vit
    1 calcium pill
    B12 (but I am out for about 2 weeks now)

Thats it. Any info would be helpful.
    Lets get serious. Lets get ugly. Beat the logbook - Gollum
    BEAT YOUR FREAKING LOGBOOK! That's what you should be worrying about - DC

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Save 5% at TrueProtein.com - snc768

most of the time it's an erroneous test. wait till you have two values that are high before you start your research
    5% discount from TPC use GRM223

Comment

I had a couple of high iron blood tests a while back, and after further more specific testing, was diagnosed with hereditary hemochromatosis.

I pay more attention to what I eat and supplement with now, such as taking it easier on the red meat and have switched multi etc.
      I also donate blood as often as I can now, and as a result my iron levels are fine. Hopefully it's also helping out those in need too.

Comment

I've read that multi-vitamins designed for older people contain less iron some times, you may want to check that out.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I am still waiting for my appt. THey cancelled 2 x now. Starting to get annoyed.

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Comment

some protein supplements have a lot of iron(25-50% 1 scoop) in them

Comment

So, I finally got in to see my Dr on Friday last week, and she was so excited that she had found out what was wrong with me!

Thalassemia Minor
              Thalassemia minor is not always actively treated, rather frequently monitored.[11] While many of those with minor status do not require blood transfusion therapy they still present at risk of iron overload, particularly in the liver.[citation needed] Increased gastrointestinal iron absorption is seen in all grades of beta thalassemia, and increased red blood cell destruction by the spleen due to ineffective erythropoiesis further releases additional iron into the bloodstream.[citation needed] A serum ferritin test should be done to check their iron levels and guide them to further treatment if necessary.[citation needed] Thalassemia minor, although not life-threatening on its own, can affect quality of life due to the effects of a mild to moderate anemia. Studies have shown that thalassemia minor often coexists with other diseases such as asthma,[12] and mood disorders,[13] and can cause iron overload of the liver and in those with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease lead to more severe outcomes.[14][15]

I had to burst her bubble, and tell her that I knew I had Thalassemia...had it since I was 9 in fact lol. She was so heartbroken! I had told her about it in passing when we first met, and I had asked if my charts were being transferred over from my previous Dr's clinic. She assured me they would be.

They weren't.

Anyhow, I am glad that its nothing serious (at least nothing new). Carry on lol.

Comment

IP6

ill try to hit more on this later...crunched for time
                IG is

@dante_trudel

Comment

Working...
                X