• thsfootball
    replied
    Originally posted by fitlover View Post
    DNP and sauna work well i hear...
    I understand the reference here, forgot your sarcastic smileys

Leave a comment:

• btech
    replied
    You'll find sources on the net that do and don't agree that they help with muscle recovery.

It does seem though that they all agree that they provide a boost for the immune system.

Stay hydrated . . . if I go to a sauna and don't take into consideration to drink more water I WILL get a headache.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST: The last time I had a cold, 5 minutes in the dry sauna cleared up my congestion 90%. I spent the next two hours going back and forth between the sauna and pool, and it had literally killed my cold by 90%

Leave a comment:

• mentalflex
    replied
    I have far too many bad memories of saunas (and boiler rooms for that matter) from when I was wrestling...

But, according to Harvard health:

"A saunas’ dry heat (which can get as high as 185° F) has profound effects on the body. Skin temperature soars to about 104° F within minutes. The average person will pour out a pint of sweat during a short stint in a sauna. The pulse rate jumps by 30% or more, allowing the heart to nearly double the amount of blood it pumps each minute. Most of the extra blood flow is directed to the skin; in fact, the circulation actually shunts blood away from the internal organs. Blood pressure is unpredictable, rising in some people but falling in others."

I previous thought that it would help blood flow and improve circulation, but apparently most of the blood flow is not going to be directed to your muscles. As Rynobull noted, keep the duration pretty short and stay hydrated. I'm sure it will help loosen up tight muscles and when used safely, would certainly not hurt.

Dr. Harvey Simon at harvard states that, “All in all, saunas appear safe for the body, but there is little evidence that they have health benefits above and beyond relaxation and a feeling of well-being.” So maybe use it to de-stress a bit after training or keep your muscles loose. I would think onc your temperature rises and if muscles are loose, it would be a good time to stretch as well, so maybe do some deep stretches after the sauna.

Leave a comment:

• trucelt
    replied
    Fitlover, I'd refrain from giving advice

Leave a comment:

• rynobull
    replied
    Originally posted by fitlover View Post
    Horrid advice! Do not listen to him.

As far as using the sauna I would do one of the following:
    1. Use it preworkout for a short duration to get blood flowing and warmed up.
    2. Use it after workout for around 10 minutes, be sure to stay hydrated.

RYNO

Leave a comment:

• fitlover
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pearlharbor1207
    started a topic Proper use of a sauna

Proper use of a sauna

I tried to search this subject but didn't really find anything...

I just joined a new gym. I was ready for a change and they have a lot more equipment than my last gym. One of the things they have is a sauna. I've always liked sitting in one and I know there are supposed to be health benefits.

My question is how to incorporate this into my workout schedule if at all?
Working...
X