Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you planning to accomplish your goals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you planning to accomplish your goals?

I was going to post this in the Powerlifting forum as that is what it pertains to for me when I first thought of it. But it can be applied to anyone that's reading this site...

Everyone here has different goals. But do your plans (specifically diet and training) really set you up to accomplish those goals?

I want to bench 400 and pull 600. Those are most important to me. I also wanted to put back on the size lost when my jaw was wired. Accordingly I set my training up get focus on getting stronger and slammed food. In the process I put on a ton of muscle and some fat. When I thought about it I was tempted to diet off gained fat. But then I thought about what my ultimate goals were. Those lifts. Could I accomplish them and still lean out a bit? Probably albeit maybe slower. Maybe if I was as smart as Skip. But why chance it? I want to hit those lifts and will plan accordingly. Thus, my calories will remain high. I will put more muscle on and fueled to train. When I get to that 600 pull I'll set a new goal and change plans.

Now sure everyone here wants to get big, strong, ripped and all at the same time of course. But unless you're freaky smart or freaky gene'd it isn't gonna work that way. What is most important to you? Set goals if you don't have them. Then set yourself up for success and plan around that singular goal. If something else needs to take a back seat then so be it. As Wendler says, "You can't serve 2 masters.". The beauty of our chosen sports is that the moment you accomplish a monumental accomplishment there is a heap of others waiting it the wings to challenge you. But don't be that guy pinning your wheels. Pick something and get it. Then worry about the next.

If that means you lose some strength as you lose your skin then so be it if that's what's important to you. And if you want to total elite then it doesn't matter that you haven't done a calf raise in months.

Set yourself up to succeed!
    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
    I was going to post this in the Powerlifting forum as that is what it pertains to for me when I first thought of it. But it can be applied to anyone that's reading this site...

Everyone here has different goals. But do your plans (specifically diet and training) really set you up to accomplish those goals?

I want to bench 400 and pull 600. Those are most important to me. I also wanted to put back on the size lost when my jaw was wired. Accordingly I set my training up get focus on getting stronger and slammed food. In the process I put on a ton of muscle and some fat. When I thought about it I was tempted to diet off gained fat. But then I thought about what my ultimate goals were. Those lifts. Could I accomplish them and still lean out a bit? Probably albeit maybe slower. Maybe if I was as smart as Skip. But why chance it? I want to hit those lifts and will plan accordingly. Thus, my calories will remain high. I will put more muscle on and fueled to train. When I get to that 600 pull I'll set a new goal and change plans.

Now sure everyone here wants to get big, strong, ripped and all at the same time of course. But unless you're freaky smart or freaky gene'd it isn't gonna work that way. What is most important to you? Set goals if you don't have them. Then set yourself up for success and plan around that singular goal. If something else needs to take a back seat then so be it. As Wendler says, "You can't serve 2 masters.". The beauty of our chosen sports is that the moment you accomplish a monumental accomplishment there is a heap of others waiting it the wings to challenge you. But don't be that guy spinning your wheels. Pick something and get it. Then worry about the next.

If that means you lose some strength as you lose your skin then so be it if that's what's important to you. And if you want to total elite then it doesn't matter that you haven't done a calf raise in months.

Set yourself up to succeed!
    It's funny/ironic you posted this given my new endeavor to do both. Will it be easy? Nope, but I will however give it hell and see what happens but this is a great post. name of the game is PRIORITIZE.
    For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

great, great post....

1-pick a goal
      2-accomplish goal
      3-see 1
      '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
      17 AAU Super Total
      '16-AAU Hi
      '15-USPA Metro
      '15-USPA State
      '15-AAU HI
      '14-AAU HI
      '14-USPA Metro
      '14-WABDL Sonny's
      '14-USPA State
      '14-HI Strongman
      '13-USPA
      '13-WABDL Sonny's
      '13-USPA State
      '13-AAU HI
      '11-USPA Metro
      '10-NPC Stingrey
      '09-NPC Islands
      '09-NPC Stingrey
      '09-ABA Islands
      '02-ABA Islands
      '02-ABA IronWorks
      '01-NPC Paradise Cup
      '01-ABA Olympia
      '01-ABA Islands
      '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
      '00-INBF Musclefest
      '98-NGA Ill
      '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Great post thanks for sharing...needed this
        Max Muscle
        5020 Katella Ave.
        Los Alamitos, CA 90720
        www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Not really, no...
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

Comment

Great post Adam!

Although you directly relate it powerlifting, it is just as true with bodybuilding in nearly the exact same way. As Dante has said (obviously paraphasing from hundred of posts lol), when you set your sights on your goal (point B), ideally, you want to get there as fast as possible from your current state (point A). Weigh your options and decide on the path of least resistance that will get you from Point A to Point B as fast as possible.

With bodybuilding, if the goal is add X amount of stage weight, then things might get ugly for a little while as you pound the food. Not saying you need to turn disgusting, but for given period you need to focus on adding as much muscle as possible, and if that means some extra fat, so be it.

Just like so many other things in life, often times you need to take a few bumps along the way and deal with a lot of mental turmoil, and in learning how to deal with adversity and the mental struggles you will become a stronger, more successful person.

Thanks for the motiviation!
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
              Not really, no...
              Actually you are, yes. That thing called.....um.....grad school which you are completing. Everything else is secondary, you get that over with and probably a doctoral degree and life is easier for you, hard work up front, coast at the end.
              For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Lol weird timing. I just went through the same thought process.

Got pretty strong at the end of 2010 as I became a fat 245. Then spent 2 years in perpetual no gain mode as I attempted to get strong while staying lean after my first cut in 2011. It is next to impossible if you aren't geared. Now I am back to focusing purely on strength and I couldn't be happier. I am not slamming food down as you are, but I am in an indefinite calorie surplus until I reach my goals, which is just a simple 3/4/5 for 3-5 reps.

Comment

Working...
                X