Eating Pizza...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating Pizza...

How bad is pizza in a bodybuilder's diet?

They serve cheese pizza at the cafeteria which has a macronutrient breakdown of about

200 calories
    17 grams protein
    5 grams fat
    23 grams carbohydrates

So 10 slices of pizza (which I eat on occasion) would be about

2000 calories
    170 grams protein
    50 grams fat
    230 grams carbohydrates

Now obviously the quality of the ingredients is subpar...cheese, flour, tomato sauce, etc. saturated fat, high glycemic carbs, some sugar probably...

But from a pure macronutrient standpoint, it doesn't seem THAT bad. 47% calories from carbs, 30% from protein, 23% calories from fat. Sure the carbs are pretty high and that probably doesn't help me (insulin resistant, tend to store bodyfat in lower back/lover handle areas...).

But there is something to be said for the ease and convenience of getting 10 slices of pizza in like 5 minutes versus standing in multiple lines and going back multiple times to get the same amount of calories in "clean" foods. I'm so busy with school these days that I don't have time to kill over an hour in the cafeteria like that.

Either way, I'm going to keep doing this if necessary. Trying to hit 4,000 cals a day is tough, especially when you are limited to cafeteria food.

Do you guys think its a big deal?

Oh ya, I'm bulking and I lift 5 days a week.

Hey like I always say, fat is size too!
    -KidRok-
    "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
    5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

I dunno man, the protein and fat numbers look like they've been switched. Lol
      Use discount code "SNM815" at checkout to receive 5% off of your ENTIRE order! Which Means 10% off any 15+ lbs of Protien or 16+ Flavour Packs you buy.

Comment

I suppose if it fits your macros

Comment

Originally posted by neme View Post
          I dunno man, the protein and fat numbers look like they've been switched. Lol
          My thoughts exactly. Cafeteria pizza with 5 grams of fat per slice?

Either way, what else does your cafeteria serve? There are probably better choices, no?
          Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

The macros are correct...I've been having a couple of these meals the past week and noticed no change in body composition...

@KidRok, I respect your opinion but do you really think that I will be adding so much more fat instead of muscle by having a couple of these types of meals per week? My calories are still where they need to be, and I'm still getting enough protein. If anything these meals tend to skew my carb/fat ratio in the carb direction but...my total calories are still around 4000.

I guess it does fit my macros, but I'm a bit worried about what effects the subpar ingredients will have on my hormones IE estrogen, cortisol, insulin, test...

Comment

@dakoose

there are definitely better choices, but I don't always have time to a) wait 5x longer in multiple lines and b) spend 5x longer chewing all the clean food (chicken, rice, etc)

I really only resort to these type of meals when I'm strapped for time. It might happen 3 times a week or so.

I know you're dubious of the macros but my school tries to masquerade as "health-concious" so they are always switching out the normal stuff for low fat and whole wheat alternatives...

Comment

Well the base is made of wheat so that's basically a poison. Tomato isn't great and some people don't digest dairy well so there goes the cheese.

Comment

Yeah, because chewing food suuure takes a long time. You do hear yourself, right?

You are smart enough to be in college, I think its a safe bet you know that pizza isnt the best move. If you think its working for you, go ahead and keep eating it.

*sigh*

Skip

Sent from Skip's Galaxy Note

Facebook: Skip Hill
                  Instagram: @intensemuscle
                  YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                  TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Chamo View Post
                    Well the base is made of wheat so that's basically a poison. Tomato isn't great and some people don't digest dairy well so there goes the cheese.
                    Where do I start?

I won't. I don't have the energy today.

Skip

Sent from Skip's Galaxy Note

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

does eating 95% of your food from clean foods, and then filling the other 5% with "not so clean" foods really have that much of an effect? i eat chocolate chip cookies everyday to fill in the 5% of my macros and my body composition hasn't changed negatively at all. layne norton back this up to so theres gotta be some credibility to it right?

Comment

Originally posted by fitlover View Post
                        does eating 95% of your food from clean foods, and then filling the other 5% with "not so clean" foods really have that much of an effect? i eat chocolate chip cookies everyday to fill in the 5% of my macros and my body composition hasn't changed negatively at all. layne norton back this up to so theres gotta be some credibility to it right?
                        It depends on whether you are dieting or growing, for starters. It also depends on your metabolism, activity level and a myriad of other things. Still, even if it doesn't "harm" your gains, I think it's safe to say that eathing healthy foods vs cookies, would be the better choice.

For the record, I don't care what anyone eats that isn't working with me. That is your business or the OPs business. What I was saying in my response was he is justifying eating 2000 calories of pizza "3 times a week" (when he probably means eating it everyday for lunch) and wanting to hear from everyone that this is ok. I won't tell him that.

Skip

Comment

damn you guys are going hard on me lol

for the record, I'm not eating it every day for lunch haha, it really is only a couple times a week. Most of the time I DO have time to wait in lines for the healthy stuff but there are those days when I just can't afford to lose another hour eating. I am taking a pretty intense course load and school is my #1 priority

I do know that eating cleaner is better, this thread was more to get an idea of exactly how bad it is to have these occasional pizza meals...

I think Skip nailed it on the head

I think its a safe bet you know that pizza isnt the best move. If you think its working for you, go ahead and keep eating it.

And perhaps much to his and others' chagrin, I will go ahead and keep eating it. Unfortunately this is what my lifestyle dictates from time to time. It is hard being perfect 100% of the time when your schedule is unpredictable.

We don't all have a nearby grocery store to shop at, a house to come home to, and a kitchen in which we can cook how we please. I'm being a realist. If thats what it takes for me to get results (and it sure seems this way), than the ends justify the means.
                          Last edited by bmp; 12-03-2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I do appreciate everyone's candor though. thats why I like this place. no BS

Comment

I feel your pain, bmp. I got similar problems going on with living on campus. Half of the time the dining halls won't even have healthy options to choose from, and it's not like I can do any type of grocery shopping or cooking other than what can be made in a microwave LOL.

Whenever I have to eat unhealthy (yeah I said HAVE) I try to just get a lift in right before hand. Do some cardio that day too and you'll be fine. Other than that I don't really know what to tell you.

What year are you?

A

Comment

Working...
                              X