Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experience with GDA?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Experience with GDA?

    I saw on anther board where Jordan (XJPX) was talking about his use of r ala. I had no clue what this was so did a little searching around and found a little info on it but not much pertaining to bodybuilding. I somehow when from there to looking at other gda's and stumbled across an article on John meadows page. I still don't really comprehend how gda's work but figure if John Meadows talks highly of them and Jordan (who I'm pretty sure is working with Homon.) uses them then I should probably give them a try. Any experience from others?
    6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
    1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

  • #2
    I, like Jordan, also work with Homon, and use GDAs.

    It seems like you are able to eat more carbs without gaining as much fat and it also seems to reduce any kind of bloating or gas that sometimes occurs with a high carb meal.

    Definitely a worthwhile addition to a supplement arsenal.
    mentalflex
    ISOM Winner February 2012
    Last edited by mentalflex; 11-29-2012, 05:13 PM.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

    Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

    2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
      I, like Jordan, also work with Homon, and use GDAs.

      It seems like you are able to eat more carbs without gaining as much fat and it also seems to reduce any kind of bloating or gas that sometimes occurs with a high carb meal.

      Definitely a worthwhile addition to a supplement arsenal.
      Thanks for the input! Assuming you use TP's GDA, do you agree that 2 caps per 100g of carbs is The best way to dose?
      6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
      1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by LKQSJH View Post
        Thanks for the input! Assuming you use TP's GDA, do you agree that 2 caps per 100g of carbs is The best way to dose?
        C'mon man, now it wouldn't be right if I talked about how Homon has me taking my supplements, right?
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

        Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

        2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
          C'mon man, now it wouldn't be right if I talked about how Homon has me taking my supplements, right?
          Valid point. However, as a representative of TN, you should be able to talk about the product(s) you represent, right? :typing:

          I'm currently using MD's GDA at the recommended dose with carb meals that are not around my workouts...which isn't very often. Seems to help with bloat, insulin spike (basing that off my energy level, not blood glucose levels)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dougisbig View Post
            Valid point. However, as a representative of TN, you should be able to talk about the product(s) you represent, right? :typing:

            I'm currently using MD's GDA at the recommended dose with carb meals that are not around my workouts...which isn't very often. Seems to help with bloat, insulin spike (basing that off my energy level, not blood glucose levels)
            Touché. But if Scott has me using MD's GDA a certain way based on my goals it is unfair to him. I got respect for the boss
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

            Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

            2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
              Touché. But if Scott has me using MD's GDA a certain way based on my goals it is unfair to him. I got respect for the boss
              Actually....your paying him, so arent YOU the boss?

              Comment


              • #8
                I understand where Mental is coming from. I should have worded my question differently and probably not directly to him.

                So with that said does anyone see a problem with starting dosing at 2 caps per 100g of carbs?
                6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
                1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LKQSJH View Post
                  Thanks for the input! Assuming you use TP's GDA, do you agree that 2 caps per 100g of carbs is The best way to dose?
                  John Meadows has a thread over at PM and openly recommends 2 caps per 100 grams of carbs. If your meals are smaller, he says you can do 1 cap for 50 grams. Note, I have no idea what Scott recommends, this is what I read in posts from John.
                  Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

                  My On-Site Log

                  My Off-Site Log

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dakoose View Post
                    John Meadows has a thread over at PM and openly recommends 2 caps per 100 grams of carbs. If your meals are smaller, he says you can do 1 cap for 50 grams. Note, I have no idea what Scott recommends, this is what I read in posts from John.
                    Thanks Dakoose! If JM says that it's good enough for me. I'm sure Scott or John tailor a supplement plan to each clients needs and goals. I just wanted to make sure I had a good starting point.
                    6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
                    1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I generally recommend what John recommends regarding John's supplement, b/c I trust John and only John and the folks at truenutrition know just what's in there, anyhoo...

                      http://www.mountaindogdiet.com/ultimateglucose.php

                      How to use The Ultimate GDA

                      The great thing about The Ultimate GDA is that it is useful no matter what phase of training you are currently in. If you are in a muscle-gain phase, more calories are needed to grow. The Ultimate GDA is a great supplement to add here, because you want to ensure that those extra calories are being put to good use, not stored as body fat. If you are dieting, the more insulin sensitive you are, the better the diet will work, so The Ultimate GDA is also great for dieting phases. Post-workout is another great time to use The Ultimate GDA, because insulin is a potent inducer of protein synthesis and amino acid uptake. The Ultimate GDA can be used with any meal that includes carbs, where the recommended dosage is 1 serving (2 capsules) per 100g of carbs.
                      No matter what your specific goals are, it’s never a bad thing to be leaner, healthier, and stronger. The Ultimate GDA, with its synergistic effects on insulin sensitivity, inflammation, and oxidative stress is great addition to any supplement program. Harness the power of insulin with the Ultimate GDA and take your training to the next level!
                      ---------

                      -S
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

                      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


                      www.TrueNutrition.com

                      2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LKQSJH View Post
                        I saw on anther board where Jordan (XJPX) was talking about his use of r ala. I had no clue what this was so did a little searching around and found a little info on it but not much pertaining to bodybuilding. I somehow when from there to looking at other gda's and stumbled across an article on John meadows page. I still don't really comprehend how gda's work but figure if John Meadows talks highly of them and Jordan (who I'm pretty sure is working with Homon.) uses them then I should probably give them a try. Any experience from others?
                        LKQSJH,

                        Here's the write-up I did long ago on Alpha-lipoic acid:

                        https://truenutrition.com/p-964-alph...100-grams.aspx

                        Alpha Lipoic Acid is a small sulfur containing molecule with strong anti-oxidant and glucose disposal actions. It is both fat and water soluble. Its actions as an anti-oxidant suggest that is may be helpful in curtailing the effects of aging (1) and the cell damaging effects of free-radicals, which accumulate during exercise(2). In Europe, it has been used as a blood glucose lowering agent in the treatment of diabetes mellitus for years(3, 4). It is known that Creatine Monohydrate supplementation enhances muscle glycogen storage(5) and that taking in carbohydrates with creatine in turn enhances creatine uptake(5). More recently, it has been found that taking in ALA will enhance creatine uptake to an even larger extent(6).

                        Supplement Use

                        ALA can be used post-workout to enhance glycogen restoration and aid in free-radical control. It is also a good supplement to take in conjuction with Creatine Ethyl Ester. Empirically, ALA seems to help minimize “spill-over” effects during carbohydrate loading and help bodybuilders fill out more completely. For those needing rapid muscle glycogen replenishment, a supplement mix containing Waxy Maize, Maltodextrin (to induce an insulin spike), Fructose (with sweetener for flavor), Creatine Ethyl Ester and ALA will create a synergistic effect. Addition of fast and slow-acting protein to such a supplement (e.g., post-workout) will create a highly anabolic blend.

                        DISCLAIMER: The above description is provided for information only and does not constitute medical advice. Please consult your physician or the appropriately licensed professional before engaging in a program of exercise or nutritional supplementation. No information in this site has been reviewed by the FDA. No product is intended to treat, diagnose, or cure any disease.

                        References

                        1. Bernarducci, M.P. and N.J. Owens, Is there a fountain of youth? A review of current life extension strategies. Pharmacotherapy., 1996. 16: p. 183-200.

                        2. Khanna, S., et al., Alpha-lipoic acid supplementation: tissue glutathione homeostasis at rest and after exercise. J Appl Physiol, 1999. 86(4): p. 1191-6. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=10194202

                        3. Henriksen, E.J., Exercise training and the antioxidant alpha-lipoic acid in the treatment of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Free Radic Biol Med, 2006. 40(1): p. 3-12. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=16337874

                        4. Saengsirisuwan, V., et al., Effects of exercise training and antioxidant R-ALA on glucose transport in insulin-sensitive rat skeletal muscle. J Appl Physiol, 2002. 92(1): p. 50-8. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=11744642

                        5. Green, A.L., et al., Creatine ingestion augments muscle creatine uptake and glycogen synthesis during carbohydrate feeding in man. J.Physiol.Lond., 1996. 491: p. 63P-64P.

                        6. Burke, D.G., et al., Effect of alpha-lipoic acid combined with creatine monohydrate on human skeletal muscle creatine and phosphagen concentration. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab, 2003. 13(3): p. 294-302. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=14669930

                        -S
                        The Book Has Arrived!
                        The Book Has Arrived!

                        Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


                        www.TrueNutrition.com

                        2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Scott, I can't remeber where I heard this, but isn't the R form of R-ALA supposed to be 2-3 times the strength (or potency) of ALA, and thus is why R-ALA is the preferred form for Glucose Disposal and the form used in MD's GDA?
                          mentalflex
                          ISOM Winner February 2012
                          Last edited by mentalflex; 11-30-2012, 12:15 AM.
                          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

                          Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

                          2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                          2015 Beat Cancer!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                            Scott, I can't remeber where I heard this, but isn't the R form of R-ALA supposed to be 2-3 times the strength (or potency) of ALA, and thus is why R-ALA is the preferred form for Glucose Disposal and the form used in MD's GDA?
                            Hey Kris,

                            (Thanks for keeping our super-secret GDA protocol hush hush. )

                            Synthetic alpha-lipoic acid is usually about 50% R, 50% S-enantiomer (stereoisomer). The R-form is what's found endogenously and in the studies I've read is the the biologically effective one. Some studies have shown effects of the S- version, but I don't recall seeing a study where the S- outperformed R-alpha lipoic acid in terms of antioxidant or metabolism-stimulating (e.g. GDA) effects.

                            -S
                            The Book Has Arrived!
                            The Book Has Arrived!

                            Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


                            www.TrueNutrition.com

                            2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                            2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                            2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks for the extra info Scott. Seems to be too many positive benefits to not add this to my supplements.

                              I did notice in the write up you reccomend fructose. I had always heard dextrose should be preferred over fructose. Any good reading material on why one is better than the other?
                              6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
                              1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X