Need Help Gaining Weight!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Gaining Weight!!

I'm currently at 5'9" and 210 and I have been stuck here for about 2 months. I know I need to increase my cals in order to gain more but I'm having trouble figuring out where I should increase my cals and if it should come from protein, fat, or carbs or a combination of the three. Here is my diet below.

Training Days (4x a week)
    Meal 1
    2 cups of egg whites and 2 whole eggs
    2 cups of oatmeal

Meal 2
    2 scoops of whey
    2 cups of oats
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Meal 3
    8oz chicken breast
    2 cups brown rice
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Brocolli

Meal 4
    2 scoops of whey
    2 cups of oats
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Intra workout shake
    MG's powdered muscle (around 50 grams of carbs and 20 grams of pepto pro)

Meal 5 - Postworkout shake
    2 scoops whey
    2 scoops waxy maize

Meal 6
    8 oz chicken breast
    2 cups brown rice
    Brocolli

Off-days (3x a week do 30 min of LISS cardio)
    Meal 1
    2 cups of oatmeal

Meal 2
    2 scoops of whey
    2 cups of oats
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Meal 3
    8oz chicken breast
    2 cups brown rice
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Brocolli

Meal 4
    2 scoops of whey
    2 cups of oats
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Meal 5
    8 oz 93/7 ground beef
    1 cup brown rice
    2 tablespoons peanut butter
    Brocolli

Meal 6
    8 oz 93/7 ground beef

Any ideas on where I should add the extra cals? protein, fats, or carbs, or a combination of the three?

I was on a similar diet a few months back, and I actually had success with raising my fat intake a good amount. I was up to 30 g fat per meal, while carb intake was moderate, 50 g fat per meal, which eventually got raised to 70 g fat per meal, but just on training days.

Always try to add kcal to your hardest training day first (leg day prolly) and then, when you stop gaining, to your other training days, and then to your off days if needed.
    TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

Pro tip: Before you do any drastic changes to your diet, do some bloodwork, ask for a full male hormonal panel

( Most of the times trouble losing/gaining weight is usually associated with test/estradiol issues)

If everything is in order, I suggest you add 1 or 2 tbsp of olive oil/natty peanut butter to your shakes and a few meals (Dante has written about this).

Also drink a ton of water before bed, so when you wake up to pee you can drink a pb+protein shake.
      0001Delta
      Heavyweight Member
      Last edited by 0001Delta; 11-28-2012, 09:13 AM.
      "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by punkguitarist View Post
        I'm currently at 5'9" and 210 and I have been stuck here for about 2 months. I know I need to increase my cals in order to gain more but I'm having trouble figuring out where I should increase my cals and if it should come from protein, fat, or carbs or a combination of the three. Here is my diet below.

Training Days (4x a week)
        Meal 1
        Eat whole eggs here, 5-6 should do the trick
        2 cups of oatmeal

Meal 2
        2 scoops of whey
        2 cups of oats
        1 tablespoon olive oil
        good

Meal 3
        8oz chicken breast
        2 cups brown rice
        1 tablespoon olive oil
        Brocolli
        You can switch for white rice, maybe add another tbsp of olive oil, added fats will slow down the digestion of the white rice and reduce the insulin spike

Meal 4
        2 scoops of whey
        2 cups of oats
        1 tablespoon olive oil
        Replace Olive oil with Peanut butter for the sake of variety, also for a better tasting shake, you might wanna look into Egg protein or casein for a better amino profile in this shake

Intra workout shake
        MG's powdered muscle (around 50 grams of carbs and 20 grams of pepto pro)

Meal 5 - Postworkout shake
        2 scoops whey
        2 scoops waxy maize
        Isn't MG's powdered muscle an Pre, Intra AND post formula ? I think it's a good idea to increase the serving of MG's Powdered muscle and take it for pre-intra-post like prescribed, removing at least the powo shake, this would help you save money

Meal 6
        8 oz chicken breast
        2 cups brown rice
        Brocolli
        White rice, white rice, white rice, post training high-GI carbs are more advantageous, your muscles are primed to soak up nutrients after training so a quick insulin spike is what you are looking for here, you can cut the veggies since fiber will also slow down digestion, no fats

Off-days (3x a week do 30 min of LISS cardio)
        Meal 1
        2 cups of oatmeal

If you're eating this post-cardio, remove the oatmeal, add broccoli with veggies and 2 tbsp of olive oil or peanut butter. If you feel like eating carbs, go for pineapple. You wanna take advantage of morning cortisol release to keep fat gains at bay

Meal 2
        2 scoops of whey
        2 cups of oats
        1 tablespoon olive oil

Reduce carbs, add fat. On off days you don't need to consume lots of carbs, you don't wanna stay anabolic day long as this will also cause you to gain fat, it's wise to add more fats to punch the kcals up

Meal 3
        8oz chicken breast
        2 cups brown rice
        1 tablespoon olive oil
        Brocolli

Fine

Meal 4
        2 scoops of whey
        2 cups of oats
        1 tablespoon olive oil

Same as meal 2

Meal 5
        8 oz 93/7 ground beef
        1 cup brown rice
        Brocolli

Fine

Meal 6
        8 oz 93/7 ground beef
        If you're eating this 1-2 hours close to bed time, keep it the way it is, if not (2-3 hours away from bedtime), add some high-gi carbs, white rice or pineapple

Any ideas on where I should add the extra cals? protein, fats, or carbs, or a combination of the three?

Suggestions in bold
        0001Delta
        Heavyweight Member
        Last edited by 0001Delta; 11-28-2012, 09:30 AM.
        "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

i would basically add 2 more whole eggs to meal 1 on both days

and pwo meal i would switch to white rice or white potato and get 100 grams carbs from that meal

you can also switch pwo protein source to 96/4 beef or some other very lean red meat

Comment

This isn't exactly on-topic, but how soon after someone is done with their serving of MG's Powdered Muscle, at the end of a workout, should their next meal be consumed? Delta's recommendation for skipping a PWO shake has got me curious about it.

Comment

more carbs.

Comment

Solid structure but ditch the chicken for more red meat or if you want to keep a chicken meal in try chicken thighs instead of breast.

Comment

I would personally bump your protein intake up. You can do little things like add a scoop to each shake and make your chicken meals 12 oz red meat or 12 oz chicken.

Then if that doesnt work, I would add in a little bit more fat. I am counting your protein to be around 300 grams per day. At 210, I would try to be in the 425 range.
                  "BBing should be a lifetime pursuit or are you are missing the point . Make that in your plans from the very begining .Take it as far as you wish [ and genetics will allow ] , but don't miss what bbing is suposed to be about .Or you really will be missing out ....." - IABADMAN

Use JSB982 as your discount code at trueprotein.com and recieve 5% discount on all orders.

http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/pdf/entries/bsform.pdf = link to strongman comp augest 8th in norfolk, va

Comment

Working...
                  X