Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kinesiotape - anyone actually use this stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinesiotape - anyone actually use this stuff?

Aside from PTAaron?

Just wondering. The sports med club hosted a workshop in conjunction with the PT department not too long ago and I tried taping up someone's arm for the first time. I honestly have not seen or heard of this stuff til then. I guess it started to get really popular thanks to beach volleyball / Olympics.

-c
    #docswholift
    PGY-1 FM
    "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

My understanding of kinesiotape is that there are tons of uses based on the wrap technique implemented. One of the girls in our class spoke about getting a wrap on her shoulder during college softball, she said it helped a bit with support. Our teacher asked about the wrap and basically shit on it for the wrong style.

It seems very confusing and optimistic for it to work as well as people say for all the things they say. I know that there are general patterns for support, facilitating movement, subluxation, reducing inflammation.

I would be real interested in its application for regular athletes, the Olympians were using it as much for decoration as anything else. It's been around for a while but the Olympics definitely brought it to the forefront.

Comment

The kinesiotape company GAVE away A LOT of rolls to all the olympian trainers in 2008 to bring it in the forefront. Great business move. I am still not convinced that it is any superior to basic McConnell taping which has been around forever. I know they talk about lymphatic drainage and a bunch of otherstuff, but the other basic tapes out there do just as good of a job for most I think (and are a lot cheaper).
      "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

^^ Nice spam account.
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

IMO it's a gimmick.

I had it done to me when I dislocated my shoulder joint, also another try for my elbow pain.

I went to two physios and both used different wrapping techniques, didn't yield any result on any occasion, when I questioned them about it they were reluctant to explain how it worked and simply said "it works".

That's just my experience with it.
          "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Its complete BS. If you have a legit injury or need support, just use an Ace Wrap or a Neoprene sleeve, etc... There is absolutely no evidence to suggest this stuff does anything above and beyond a regular wrap, and certainly none to suggest the wrapping the techniques they use are beneficial.

Save your money, buy protein.

Comment

Just so you guys know I'm not talking out of my ass, here are a few sites with write ups:

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...ports-fad.html (Article has links to Pub Med sources on the Tape.. Results: It does nothing)

http://apgaylard.wordpress.com/2011/...9s-magic-tape/

Comment

http://www.integrativediagnosis.com/...px?pageId=1025

KT tape review and possible dangers

Comment

A few years ago when I had a cervical hernia the chiro put this stuff on my neck and my shoulder. He told me Olympians use it and a person has to know and understand how to put it on in order for it to work. I can tell you that while the chiro didn't take the pain away the tape sure did. It allowed me to function without pain and I was in shock when the tape came off at how quick the pain came back. I had it on for about 4 days and even showered with it. I think it is great stuff but you have to know how to put it on in order for it to work. Mine was blue.

Comment

I'll have to look at McConnell taping somewhere in my free spare time (heh). I got lost on campus and managed to miss the talk. The PT lady mentioned using it since the 90s, but I didn't really ask her much more than that because I was too busy playing with the free tape.

I'm not really leaning either way with it, but it is nice to learn something new, get out of the classroom, and collaborate with other departments.

I also hadn't heard of it being used in relation to lymphatic drainage. We don't learn those techniques until April, after HVLA (aka back cracking chiro stuff).

Cervical hernia? Damn.
                    #docswholift
                    PGY-1 FM

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
                      A few years ago when I had a cervical hernia the chiro put this stuff on my neck and my shoulder. He told me Olympians use it and a person has to know and understand how to put it on in order for it to work. I can tell you that while the chiro didn't take the pain away the tape sure did. It allowed me to function without pain and I was in shock when the tape came off at how quick the pain came back. I had it on for about 4 days and even showered with it. I think it is great stuff but you have to know how to put it on in order for it to work. Mine was blue.
                      Bingo, it's a great idea but has to be applied correctly.

Comment

Im a personal trainer & have some occupational therapists and chiropractors as clients, all of which swear by the stuff. Never used it personally though.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2
                        2013 NPC Heartland Classic OKC - 1st Men's Lightheavyweight Novice/Overall

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                          ^^ Nice spam account.
                          Was this directed at me? I am confused. Seriously.
                          "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

Originally posted by Ajweins View Post
                            Was this directed at me? I am confused. Seriously.
                            It was someone else. The post was deleted.
                            #docswholift
                            PGY-1 FM

Comment

I've seen multiple physiotherapists use it to help rehab ankle and knee ligament sprains/strains, but it didnt accelerate healing compared to traditional methods... I think its a gimmick as well....

Comment

Working...
                              X