Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Majority of Carbs Intra Workout of Post Workout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Majority of Carbs Intra Workout of Post Workout?

For bulking, do you think its better to have the majority of your carbs in your "intra" workout shake or "post" workout shake?

For example,

Option A:
    Intra Workout Shake: 3 scoops of waxy maze plus bcaas, glutamine, etc.
    Post workout shake: 1 scoop of waxy maize and 2 scoops of whey iso

Option B:
    Intra Workout Shake: 1 scoop of Waxy maze plus bcaas, glutamine, etc.
    Post workout Shake: 3 scoops of waxy maze and 2 scoops of whey iso

What would be better option A or option B? I am an ecto and staying lean is easy but gaining weight is extremely hard for me and I can eat a shitload of carbs and not get fat.

Originally posted by punkguitarist View Post
    For bulking, do you think its better to have the majority of your carbs in your "intra" workout shake or "post" workout shake?

For example,

Option A:
    Intra Workout Shake: 3 scoops of waxy maze plus bcaas, glutamine, etc.
    Post workout shake: 1 scoop of waxy maize and 2 scoops of whey iso

Option B:
    Intra Workout Shake: 1 scoop of Waxy maze plus bcaas, glutamine, etc.
    Post workout Shake: 3 scoops of waxy maze and 2 scoops of whey iso

What would be better option A or option B? I am an ecto and staying lean is easy but gaining weight is extremely hard for me and I can eat a shitload of carbs and not get fat.
    Why not make one big ass shake and start a little before nd finish within a few minutes of your workout?
    For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

I'd keep the bulk of the carbs PWO, too much intra workout can make you full and you might have trouble hitting some lifts, but I dunno, I've read some people do 4 servings of MassiveG's powdered muscle with 2000 ml water ( jesus I'd throw up if I did that ).

In the end it's gonna be up to you.

Also, throw some leucine in both shakes to activate MTOR.
      "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
        I'd keep the bulk of the carbs PWO, too much intra workout can make you full and you might have trouble hitting some lifts, but I dunno, I've read some people do 4 servings of MassiveG's powdered muscle with 2000 ml water ( jesus I'd throw up if I did that ).

In the end it's gonna be up to you.

Also, throw some leucine in both shakes to activate MTOR.
        I feel the same way. When I've tried doing a lot of carbs intra workout I do feel bloated the whole workout, but I might just be something I need to get used to because I didnt try it for that long.

But if intra workout with a lot of carbs woudl be better for results Ill deal with the bloating.

Comment

Originally posted by punkguitarist View Post
          I feel the same way. When I've tried doing a lot of carbs intra workout I do feel bloated the whole workout, but I might just be something I need to get used to because I didnt try it for that long.

But if intra workout with a lot of carbs woudl be better for results Ill deal with the bloating.
          I can drink 32-42oz of water over the course of a workout just sipping it very easy and not being bloated and full working in the 80-95% range
          For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

I honestly think the results will be the same or very close either way. In that case, I would go with what is more comfortable and I don't think having 3 scoops of waxy maze would make for a good workout.

As far as mtor and leucine, you only need 3-5g for maximum activation and you get that in your BCAA's or in your weigh afterwards.
            If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
            http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
            2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
            2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

You may want to give it a little time or find another carb source. Once I found the best carb sources and after doing it for a while its all good now.

I recommend karboload, vpx carbonx, or gaspari glycofuse.

Karboload as you know is just a karbolyn type product, carbonx is a modified waxy maize along with branch chain cyclic dextrins. Glycofuse is straight up cyclic dextrins.

The latter two are definitely the best digested for me and give the best results. Cyclic dextrins are where I think most brands will start leaning towards when pumping out newer carbs (it's also what is in t nations anaconda)

***cough*** truenutrition pay attention ***cough***

Comment

And the vpx I have found is actually a pretty effective mrp as well. Hs some fiber in it, and apparently is pretty damn thermogenic compared to other carb powders. Comes in chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, and other fruit flavors, and give a nice thick texture to shakes with protein and fruit, and pick your healthy fats to add. (I'm an ecto as well so these liquid meal....well pretty much pseudo frostys I make using a nutrabullet.....are a god send lol because my appetite is shit)

Comment

IMO I've found good results from lifting in the morning and having a lot of carbs the night before lifting and the right after, as well. During a session is not so hot, as your body is devoting the majority of its resources to performance and diverting resources away from digestion.
                  Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                  kind of a douche

Comment

"your body is devoting the majority of its resources to performance and diverting resources away from digestion."

THIS. I use an intra-workout shake but its 30-40g carbs with soem BCAA/EAA creatine and few other micronutrients thrown in....anything more than that an i feel uncomfortable
                    '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                    17 AAU Super Total
                    '16-AAU Hi
                    '15-USPA Metro
                    '15-USPA State
                    '15-AAU HI
                    '14-AAU HI
                    '14-USPA Metro
                    '14-WABDL Sonny's
                    '14-USPA State
                    '14-HI Strongman
                    '13-USPA
                    '13-WABDL Sonny's
                    '13-USPA State
                    '13-AAU HI
                    '11-USPA Metro
                    '10-NPC Stingrey
                    '09-NPC Islands
                    '09-NPC Stingrey
                    '09-ABA Islands
                    '02-ABA Islands
                    '02-ABA IronWorks
                    '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                    '01-ABA Olympia
                    '01-ABA Islands
                    '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                    '00-INBF Musclefest
                    '98-NGA Ill
                    '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

I think Sammich and Trucelt hit it on the head. I've had some incredible workouts after a late nite meal and then working out early AM on just a scoop of Karbolyn with added supps in there, like creatine, glutamine, and some BCAA's or EAA's. Then a similar shake after with some added hydrowhey and then a couple low fat pop tarts. This gets me a good dose of carbs and has kept me reasonably lean.....
                      STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I do what Sammich does (carbs before bed)...let the muscles fill with glycogen over the course of the night and have crazier pumps/strength for the morning workout. Food coma makes for a better night sleep, too.

However unlike Sammich I feel intra-workout carbs/protein is just fine and won't impede digestion assuming it's easily assimilated. A waxy maize/amino/isolate protein feels better than a maltodextrin/concentrate/caseinate mixture, for example.

I'll usually sip on 2 blender bottles during the workout, one with water and the other with the carb/protein/amino mix. If I'm out of carb mix I just swap in some gatorade. Lemon-lime + chocolate protein doesn't sound too appetizing, but when you're thirsty as hell it doesn't really matter, heh.
                        Max Muscle
                        5020 Katella Ave.
                        Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                        www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Ive played around with delaying carbs post workout for a long time. IMO (and I can dig of studies if you'd like) you dont need many carbs to do what you think they do. Im not even convinced that you need carbs immediately post workout. I actually went a year with 0 carbs post workout and waited about 6 hours post workout to have with my last meal and then the 3 meals of the next day prior to training (if I was training the next day). The results? I stayed much leaner and was the strongest Ive ever been in the gym.

Im not sure how many grams of waxy is 3 scoops but I think what you do over a larger time frame (lets say 24 hours) is more important than what you do around your workout.

Just an opinion, though.
                          5% off www.TrueNutrition.com use NKZ125

2011 & 2012 Rocky Mountain Heavy and Overall Champion

Comment

Nik-
                            I fully agree you can get by with a lot less carbs than the tradition approach IF you are smart about meal timing and planning...
                            '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                            17 AAU Super Total
                            '16-AAU Hi
                            '15-USPA Metro
                            '15-USPA State
                            '15-AAU HI
                            '14-AAU HI
                            '14-USPA Metro
                            '14-WABDL Sonny's
                            '14-USPA State
                            '14-HI Strongman
                            '13-USPA
                            '13-WABDL Sonny's
                            '13-USPA State
                            '13-AAU HI
                            '11-USPA Metro
                            '10-NPC Stingrey
                            '09-NPC Islands
                            '09-NPC Stingrey
                            '09-ABA Islands
                            '02-ABA Islands
                            '02-ABA IronWorks
                            '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                            '01-ABA Olympia
                            '01-ABA Islands
                            '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                            '00-INBF Musclefest
                            '98-NGA Ill
                            '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

My best and strongest workouts are fasted, HULK effect, just sayin'

Comment

Working...
                              X