No announcement yet.

1:20 Kids Use, Or Have Used, Steroids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1:20 Kids Use, Or Have Used, Steroids?

That number seem likely? Its really a shame that kids feel, or actually have to take some form of a hormone or AAS to stay competitive at such an early age.

http://news.yahoo.com/one-20-youth-u...052014145.html
    Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

My Training Log Here at IM

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Lol, look at the second paragraph:

In addition to steroid use, more than one-third of boys and one-fifth of girls in the study said they had used protein powder or shakes to gain muscle mass, and between five and 10 percent used non-steroid muscle-enhancing substances, such as creatine.
    As if discussion about protein shakes should be anywhere near a steroid discussion. And where are the paper's about how many kids cheat on exams? I'm positive FAR more kids cheat on tests than use steroids, and the former is something people should be more troubled with than steroids, I would think.
    Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

I call bullshit. These "studies" or polls or whatever they call them are way off because of the lack of understanding of what steroids are by teenagers. They buy something off of a "legal steroid" site or see an ad and then go buy it at GNC and think they are taking steroids.

These articles are uselss and all they do is get parents and adults scared of steroids, again.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
      Instagram: @intensemuscle
      YouTube: TEAMSKIP
      TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
        I call bullshit. These "studies" or polls or whatever they call them are way off because of the lack of understanding of what steroids are by teenagers. They buy something off of a "legal steroid" site or see an ad and then go buy it at GNC and think they are taking steroids.

These articles are uselss and all they do is get parents and adults scared of steroids, again.

Skip

My thoughts exactly. You can pretty much guess that the article is written by a moron simply by noticing he is regarding protein and creatine as something in the same level as steroids.
        "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Show me the kid that answered this "study" honestly and I might have a bridge in New York I could sell you......

Comment

Your always going to get these sort of polls and articles that are so against steroids but misinformed about them.... which is a bit sad really.

Comment

Anyone actually read the study?...

This actually IS NOT it - it pre-dates it, I presume. (I'm guessing the one referred to in the news article isn't available yet... <Sigh>)

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...6-9868bb9e372d

-S
              Last edited by homonunculus; 11-19-2012, 08:33 PM.
              The Book Has Arrived!
              The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
              2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
              2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                Anyone actually read the study?...

This actually IS NOT it - it pre-dates it, I presume. (I'm guessing the one referred to in the news article isn't available yet... <Sigh>)

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...6-9868bb9e372d

-S
                Scott, I am assuming you are referring to the more recent survey sent during the 2009-2010 school year, correct?

I was able to come across it: http://pediatrics.aappublications.or....full.pdf+html

Anyway, I don't know if I really agree with the methodology. Survey participants were first surveyed at around 12 years old. When you give a 12 years old a 200+ question questionnaire what is the possibility that they might just want to be done and start filling in circles?

Another issue I have is assuming these kids knew what a steroid was. In high school I knew kids that thought creatine was a steroid... so I feel some questions to account for lack of knowledge of what they were taking should have been used.

As for the Yahoo article, this sentence really agitates me: " ...up to one-third of kids and teens used what the researchers deemed to be unhealthy means to gain muscle mass, including taking steroids and other muscle-building substances or overdoing it on protein shakes, dieting and weight-lifting."

Seriously? You are going to lump steroids with protein shakes, dieting and weight lifting? Since when are protein shakes unhealthy? When is weightlifting unhealthy (given these kids are being taught how to lift right)? C'mon, we have a society being pushed dirt cheap unhealthy fast foods and you are going to call eating better and exercising an "unhealthy means to gain muscle". There is a disconnect somewhere....
                Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                  Scott, I am assuming you are referring to the more recent survey sent during the 2009-2010 school year, correct?

I was able to come across it: http://pediatrics.aappublications.or....full.pdf+html

Anyway, I don't know if I really agree with the methodology. Survey participants were first surveyed at around 12 years old. When you give a 12 years old a 200+ question questionnaire what is the possibility that they might just want to be done and start filling in circles?

Another issue I have is assuming these kids knew what a steroid was. In high school I knew kids that thought creatine was a steroid... so I feel some questions to account for lack of knowledge of what they were taking should have been used.

As for the Yahoo article, this sentence really agitates me: " ...up to one-third of kids and teens used what the researchers deemed to be unhealthy means to gain muscle mass, including taking steroids and other muscle-building substances or overdoing it on protein shakes, dieting and weight-lifting."

Seriously? You are going to lump steroids with protein shakes, dieting and weight lifting? Since when are protein shakes unhealthy? When is weightlifting unhealthy (given these kids are being taught how to lift right)? C'mon, we have a society being pushed dirt cheap unhealthy fast foods and you are going to call eating better and exercising an "unhealthy means to gain muscle". There is a disconnect somewhere....
                  Kris,

That's the study, my man!!! (Had to attend to another matter...)

I haven't read the one above, but I agree - they're not really doing a good job of explaining whether they clarified to the kids what a steroid is, how they define it (they put DHEA in a different category in the study you link above), or whether it really MATTERS to them from a scientific perspective what the kids actually took.

Right now, I've not got time to dig into that study, but one issue here is that over time, the concept of what a "steroid" is may change. This can probalby be found, but in 1999 (data was collected then int he study I posted a link to), I would wager that fewer kids knew what a "steroid" was or that it could help them look bigger, better or be better at sports than now a days...

My point is that with more steroid awareness, the survey can be picking up moreso on this, and attitudes towards taking drugs, steroids in particular, etc., vs. actual steroid use, and the researchers are likely aware of this (this is what they do), BUT THE PRESS just like the sensational stuff....

BTW, the annual prevalence of steroid use in thus study is >200% higher than in the previous study I linked...

-S
                  The Book Has Arrived!
                  The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                  2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                  2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Keep in mind too that at that age, so many kids want to be "the cool kid: and say they are doing something but really aren't. That was when there were yearly home run chases in baseball and ballplayers were all the hype and denied any steroid use, but since people accused those guys of using steroids, kids may think that saying they use steroids might get them some type of attention.... Like the things you noted above, there are lot of things that need to be looked at in terms of societal definitions and definitions for the purpose of the study. Back then, many prohormones were legal but now they are banned, how do you account for that? I doubt any of those kids in the study are going to know what exactly the PH was they were taking and what the new one was they got on later....

Shit, when I was 12 years old I just cared about cheeseburgers and snickers bars... I was pretty fat lol
                    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I don't thing enough kids are using steroids. Seriously, how the fuck else are we going to continue to beat China and Russia in the Olympics?
                      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                      kind of a douche

Comment

73% of people know most studies give inaccurate results. Also if you put a 3 or a 7 in the result more people find that result believeable.
                        "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                        Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                        'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                        ~William Bernbach

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                          I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I don't thing enough kids are using steroids. Seriously, how the fuck else are we going to continue to beat China and Russia in the Olympics?
                          LOL

That caught me off guard.

Skip

Sent from Skip's Galaxy Note

Facebook: Skip Hill
                          Instagram: @intensemuscle
                          YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                          TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

♫ I believe the children are our fuuutuuure, roid them well and let them leeeaaad the waaay ♫
                            Max Muscle
                            5020 Katella Ave.
                            Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                            www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Pffff, Russians don't use steroids, we can change our genetic make-up at will. Once you learn to use the russian side of the force you can pretty much do anything.

Dasvidanya comrade.
                              "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Working...
                              X