CNS burnout and Virus's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNS burnout and Virus's?

Sooooo, what's the truth here? Does driving oneself into the ground (a few successful powerlifters do this as well as many Olympic weightlifters) to the point where joints ache, no motivation, etc., etc., (what John Broz refers to as "dark times") leave you more suceptable to cold-sore outbreaks if you're prone to them and/or does it leave your ACTUAL immune system in tatters or does it just FEEL like you get sick etc?

Am I making any sense here? I'm basically asking if severe overtraining just makes you FEEL like shit or are you actually getting a virus or actually disrupting your ability to fight off colds/virus's?

I just can't grasp (if it's true) how CNS and adrenal fatigue affects ACTUAL immunity/virus protection.

Thanks for taking the time to read an off-the-wall question!

It goes beyond the CNS when referring to performing strenuous physical activity and the effects on the immune system, you have to look at the effects on things like neutrophil respiratory bursts, lymphocyte proliferation, monocyte antigens...which tend to be suppressed after strenuous training.

This research review looks at your question: http://m.jap.physiology.org/content/103/2/693.long

Here is the abstract:
    Regular moderate exercise is associated with a reduced incidence of infection compared with a completely sedentary state. However, prolonged bouts of strenuous exercise cause a temporary depression of various aspects of immune function (e.g., neutrophil respiratory burst, lymphocyte proliferation, monocyte antigen presentation) that usually lasts ∼3–24 h after exercise, depending on the intensity and duration of the exercise bout. Postexercise immune function dysfunction is most pronounced when the exercise is continuous, prolonged (>1.5 h), of moderate to high intensity (55–75% maximum O2 uptake), and performed without food intake. Periods of intensified training (overreaching) lasting 1 wk or more may result in longer lasting immune dysfunction. Although elite athletes are not clinically immune deficient, it is possible that the combined effects of small changes in several immune parameters may compromise resistance to common minor illnesses, such as upper respiratory tract infection. However, this may be a small price to pay as the anti-inflammatory effects of exercise mediated through cytokines and/or downregulation of toll-like receptor expression are likely mediators of many of the long-term health benefits of regular exercise.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

If you're talking about herpes (i.e. cold sore), then any kind of intense physical or emotional stress makes breakouts more likely.
      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
      kind of a douche

Comment

Also: "virii"

:>
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

Just remember that for health you should always eat your boogers,

From Wiki:
          Eating mucus is the act of extracting nasal mucus with one's finger (rhinotillexis) and the succeeding action of ingesting the mucus from the nose-picking (mucophagy).[1] Nasal mucus is also termed as boogers, snot, bogeys, dried nasal mucus, mucus secretion, and other related terms including comerse los mocos (to eat one's snot).[2]

Booger eating is a common behavior in children occurring from psychological disorders or simply resulting from habit. Some scientists argue that booger eating provides benefits for the human body.[1] Friedrich Bischinger, an Austrian doctor specializing in lungs advocates using fingers to pick and ingesting nasal mucus, states people who do so get "a natural boost to their immune system."[1][3] The mucus contains a "cocktail of antiseptic enzymes that kill or weaken many of the bacteria that become entangled in it," so reintroducing the 'crippled' microorganisms "may afford the immune system an opportunity to produce antibodies in relative safety."
          "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
          Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
          'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
          ~William Bernbach

Comment

I got shingles when I tried to stretch out my DC blast past the 8 week mark
            Max Muscle
            5020 Katella Ave.
            Los Alamitos, CA 90720
            www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
              Seriously?

Damn, sorry about that.....

I was having a lot of digestive issues but it wasn't until I took time off to let my immune system recover and small intestine to build itself back up. Knock on wood... I can't wait to move some heavy slag again!!!!
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Yeah...I think I made a thread about it a while back.
                Max Muscle
                5020 Katella Ave.
                Los Alamitos, CA 90720

Comment

I tell this to my clients all the time and make them rest and recover after a show for this very reason.

I got shingles after a show in 03 and still have the nerve pain every 20-30 seconds of my life, day or night. Your immune system can go to shit very quickly and I have seen it time and time again during preps, after shows, etc..

Shingles is the chicken pox virus and is in the herpes family.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                  Instagram: @intensemuscle
                  YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                  TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                    I tell this to my clients all the time and make them rest and recover after a show for this very reason.

I got shingles after a show in 03 and still have the nerve pain every 20-30 seconds of my life, day or night. Your immune system can go to shit very quickly and I have seen it time and time again during preps, after shows, etc..

Skip
                    I THOUGHT I was "special" and didn't need the time off. I kept assuring Scott I would be fine when he asked if I sure I was fully recovered... needless to say, that was a HUGE contributor to why my digestive system had such a difficult time getting on track. I simply never let it heal after having the bacterial infection and tried to train through it non-stop from right after the show... Lesson learned.

There is a reason why guys like Scott and Skip have the reputation they do and they are not blowing smoke up your ass when they say you need to rest.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

After that bout of shingles I'm kinda of redoing my gameplan...

I think I'm going to have to drop quite a few CNS-intensive (if there is such a thing) exercises. Still keep the main ones like deads, squats, heavy presses for chest, but drop things like dips and opt for single-joint movements for example. I think this will make me extend my blast longer.

Now this got me thinking...assuming all other things equal, is it better to a) have majority of exercises be compound movements but have shorter blasts or b) have less compound movements but have longer blasts? Assuming you want more muscle.

Apologies if this has taken a DC turn, hehe.
                      Max Muscle
                      5020 Katella Ave.
                      Los Alamitos, CA 90720

Comment

:WTF: Bottom line is a lot of guys on this board have HERPES!

Originally posted by armoredvan View Post
                        leave you more suceptable to cold-sore outbreaks if you're prone to them and/or does it leave your ACTUAL immune system in tatters or does it just FEEL like you get sick etc.
                        Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                        If you're talking about herpes (i.e. cold sore), then any kind of intense physical or emotional stress makes breakouts more likely.
                        Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                        Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                        I got shingles after a show in 03...

Skip
                        2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

It's because we push it to the limit, liiiimiiit, walk along the razor's edge...
                          Max Muscle
                          5020 Katella Ave.
                          Los Alamitos, CA 90720

Comment

Wow, just when I thought I had an off-the-wall question! Thanks for the feedback guys! This is interesting (to me) stuff.

I sometimes feel like a pussy backing off or taking extra rest. Looks like a good idea looking at the responses!

And no worries about the DC slant: this IS IM afterall and my question certainly includes this type of training.

Comment

Once after doing like 3 shows in a row, I immediately came down with mono. Another time I got strep throat the very next day after a show that I prepped for 20 weeks. There have been many other illnesses immediately following a show so I am convinced that I beat my immune system into the ground and that is why I become so susceptable to the illnesses.
                              -KidRok-
                              "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                              5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Working...
                              X