Let’s Get Loaded (Glycerin)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let’s Get Loaded (Glycerin)

As I quickly approach my retirement from the military (at 19 years now but may do another 2 or 3 years) I like many who have come before me, have started thinking about what the heck I’m going to do (job wise) once I leave the military. For me it was a no brainer, “do something you love Max” and for me that’s always been working out and staying healthy. So I started my admission process of becoming a certified trainer through ISSA. I was checking out there new letter today and came across an article on glycerin loading. Not a real in-depth article but none the less interesting. I recall MG speaking about this when his MG Powder was first introduced and though I would post it. Let me end this by stating that I don’t claim to be anywhere in the same state as those individuals that routinely post excellent research info on here. Hope you find it interesting.

Let’s Get Loaded
    by For the Health of It
    September 12, 2012 Nutrition

Print PDF Easy there, friend. We’re talking glycerin here. In the Swiss Triathlon Journal, Der Laufer, scientists have hit on something interesting that elite level athletes have been doing for years—glycerin loading.

Here’s how it works: The idea is to minimize the effects of heat, sweat and humidity on one’s training and to increase total body fluids without just adding more water, which the body flushes out if it gets too much.

By using glycerin, each molecule of glycerin absorbs three molecules of water and during physical activity, the body uses the glycerin for energy. Researchers found that each time the body metabolizes a molecule of glycerin, it releases three molecules of water, thereby increases the body’s supply of available water to use.

Researchers found that glycerin loading worked well in physical activities of at least 90 minutes where high heat is involved.

Ref: http://www.protraineronline.com/nutr...ts-get-loaded/
    "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
    2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
    2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
    2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
    2002 NPC Western Carolina:
    2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Hyperhydration with glycerol is a bit more complicated than that, from a research and practical perspective.

Also, an article that refers to "research" that doesn't cite said research is immediately suspect to me. (And this happens a LOT...)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17962713

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11098160

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17953468

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
      Hyperhydration with glycerol is a bit more complicated than that, from a research and practical perspective.

Also, an article that refers to "research" that doesn't cite said research is immediately suspect to me. (And this happens a LOT...)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17962713

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11098160

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17953468

-S
      I can see what you mean and the possible issues assoiciated with such wording. Well take the article for what it worth then I guess. Just trying to be a productive member of this site as much as I can.

V1
      "SET NO LIMITS"

Comment

Originally posted by v1hyp View Post
        I can see what you mean and the possible issues assoiciated with such wording. Well take the article for what it worth then I guess. Just trying to be a productive member of this site as much as I can.

V1
        V1,

So - and I'm not trying to be a jerk here at all - what would *you* say that original "article" you posted was worth. (Do you see value in it and if so, what and for whom?...)

-S
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Scott - Just looking through some abstracts I saw that one indicated that exercise performance declines when dehydrated and glycerol induced hyperhydration can prevent such dehydration thus increasing exercise performance. Ref: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19996773

I saw another abstract that indicated the gycerol reduced urine output but did not improve cardiovascular or thermoregulatory functions. Just speculating, I would assume that if there is decreased urine output, one would by more adequately hydrated (given they drin the same volume of liquid) and being more hydrated would subsequently lead to better exercise performance. Ref: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16604127

Now, would an individual be able to mimic the effect of glycerol hyperhydration by drinking water with electrolytes? I am thinking that the electrolytes would help maintain hydration, however one may have to consume more fluid with electrolytes versus liquid and glycerol. Just curious....
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
            Scott - Just looking through some abstracts I saw that one indicated that exercise performance declines when dehydrated and glycerol induced hyperhydration can prevent such dehydration thus increasing exercise performance. Ref: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19996773

I saw another abstract that indicated the gycerol reduced urine output but did not improve cardiovascular or thermoregulatory functions. Just speculating, I would assume that if there is decreased urine output, one would by more adequately hydrated (given they drin the same volume of liquid) and being more hydrated would subsequently lead to better exercise performance. Ref: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16604127
            I'd start by reading each of those three reviews (one was a meta-analysis) if you'd like to get a more complete look at the state of knowledge.

Now, would an individual be able to mimic the effect of glycerol hyperhydration by drinking water with electrolytes? I am thinking that the electrolytes would help maintain hydration, however one may have to consume more fluid with electrolytes versus liquid and glycerol. Just curious....
            "Mimic the effect?" Which effect do you mean?...

Which electrolytes?...

You can hyperhydrate with a sodium solution, but I would suspect that fluid distribution in extra vs. intravascular spaces would differ from that when using glycerol to hyperhydrate. Altering sodium levels will also affect hormones of fluid balance (ADH, aldosterone, etc.) differently and thus probably result in different thermoregulatory responses, as well.

Sounds like the makings of a good *basic* (as opposed to applied) research study...

-S
            The Book Has Arrived!
            The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

I'd start by reading each of those three reviews (one was a meta-analysis) if you'd like to get a more complete look at the state of knowledge.
              This shall be my pleasure reading this weekend

"Mimic the effect?" Which effect do you mean?...

Which electrolytes?...
              I was just alluding to the effect glycerol and water has in preventing dehydration apparently better than plain water.

I would think that sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium and phosphate would all aid in preventing dehydration...but I am really curious about how much of the various electrolytes would provide the same level of hydration of a given amount of glycerol and whether there would be any adverse effects (which you touch on below).

You can hyperhydrate with a sodium solution, but I would suspect that fluid distribution in extra vs. intravascular spaces would differ from that when using glycerol to hyperhydrate. Altering sodium levels will also affect hormones of fluid balance (ADH, aldosterone, etc.) differently and thus probably result in different thermoregulatory responses, as well.

Sounds like the makings of a good *basic* (as opposed to applied) research study...

-S
              Yes, this is where I was going with my question. At least from my experience with glycerol, I have not had any negative effects but it seems messing with electrolytes to hyperhyrdate might have some adverse effects.

And count me out of that research study!!!!
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

V1,

So - and I'm not trying to be a jerk here at all - what would *you* say that original "article" you posted was worth. (Do you see value in it and if so, what and for whom?...)

-S
                You know, you may not be trying to be a jerk, but you certainly do a good job acting and coming across like one. I'm just saying. I remember all the discussion that came about during the introduction of MG Powder and I thought I would share what I found and maybe get some talk going on the subject again as I see it has. Not that I need to justify anything here.
                Last edited by v1hyp; 11-02-2012, 10:16 PM.
                "SET NO LIMITS"

Comment

You know, you may not be trying to be a jerk, but you certainly do a good job acting and coming across like one. I'm just saying. I remember all the discussion that came about during the introduction of MG Powder and I thought I would share what I found and maybe get some talk going on the subject again as I see it has. Not that I need to justify anything here.
                  Sorry about that, V1. I really wasn't trying to be a butthead here.

The thread is yours (and I'll refrain from any others you post up, too). Again, sorry, and good luck with your certification.

-Scott
                  The Book Has Arrived!
                  The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                    This shall be my pleasure reading this weekend

I was just alluding to the effect glycerol and water has in preventing dehydration apparently better than plain water.

I would think that sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium and phosphate would all aid in preventing dehydration...but I am really curious about how much of the various electrolytes would provide the same level of hydration of a given amount of glycerol and whether there would be any adverse effects (which you touch on below).

Yes, this is where I was going with my question. At least from my experience with glycerol, I have not had any negative effects but it seems messing with electrolytes to hyperhyrdate might have some adverse effects.

And count me out of that research study!!!!
                    Kris,

Not blowing you off - I'll leave these Q's up for others to interject their thoughts on. (Hit me with a PM if you'd like mine.)

-S
                    The Book Has Arrived!
                    The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

We all appreciate you sharing info, but don't get all butt-hurt just because the thing you posted was shoddy and someone said so.
                      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                      kind of a douche

Comment

Butt-hurt? Please. I'm not going to keep this issue going. However, If anyone want's to keep this thread going with some positive counter comments or insight to why what I posted is as it's been labeled "shoddy" by all means, please respond. I am by no means a subject matter expert.
                        Last edited by v1hyp; 11-03-2012, 12:55 AM.
                        "SET NO LIMITS"

Comment

Science is great and all but what are the real world outcomes related to using glycerin for bodybuilding purposes?
                          There has to be a shit ton of guys on here that have used both lbas and mgs powdered muscle.

I can say that when I used lbas as my only supplemental protein source I was much fuller and rounder and had great pumps when working out. Did it contribute more to protein synthesis or performance? Hard to say, but subjectively I felt I looked a lot better.
                          Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                            Science is great and all but what are the real world outcomes related to using glycerin for bodybuilding purposes?
                            There has to be a shit ton of guys on here that have used both lbas and mgs powdered muscle.

I can say that when I used lbas as my only supplemental protein source I was much fuller and rounder and had great pumps when working out. Did it contribute more to protein synthesis or performance? Hard to say, but subjectively I felt I looked a lot better.
                            I've used MG Powder in the past along with gly and like yourself, experienced some pretty decent pumps.
                            "SET NO LIMITS"

Comment

I'm late to the draw here but I just wanted to chime in and say that I really don't think that Homon meant any disrespect to you V1.....He is a doctor AND a researcher and he looks at studies like these with great scrutiny. He does so not only for his own purposes, but also so the members of this board and others don't waste their time and money on products or training applications......What has been perceived as Homon being a jerk by you is simply a very intellectual and scientific student of the game posing questions that may offer answers that actually show different variables on an issue in an unbiased way. Most "studies" have motives behind them, especially concerning supplements....if you look over many research threads here at IM, there aren't many that Scott does not indeed challenge, or at least ask for further explanation.....

You ARE a valued member here at IM V1, no doubt, but I think you interpreted Scott's remarks in a way that he had not intended you to.....I'm absolutely certain that he would have taken the thread in a direction in which would have involved some good discussion about the research in question AND the supplement itself.....
                              STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Working...
                              X