Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should you know before hiring a trainer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should you know before hiring a trainer?

After reading Skips article on the know it alls I started thinking about the other extreme. I don't consider my self dumb but I sure don't understand training and nutrition like some. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I used to know. Would love some feedback from Skip or Scott but I'm sure others can contribute too. I work in the auto parts industry but in my line of work it can get frustrating when you are trying to help someone who is clueless. I hope to work with one of these guys in the future but want to make sure I know my abc's before I start paying for college level lectures. I just want to make sure when I do spend the money I am not holding up the progress of the program over things I should already have a clear understanding of.
    6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
    1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

My time was cut short with skip because of financial situations. However i will say this, he was very patient with me when i was asking him questions......not all of them were smart questions either lol.......hes a pretty understanding guy, i doubt he will get aggravated unless you question what he says because you read different in a magazine or something

Comment

Originally posted by LKQSJH View Post
      After reading Skips article on the know it alls I started thinking about the other extreme. I don't consider my self dumb but I sure don't understand training and nutrition like some. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I used to know. Would love some feedback from Skip or Scott but I'm sure others can contribute too. I work in the auto parts industry but in my line of work it can get frustrating when you are trying to help someone who is clueless. I hope to work with one of these guys in the future but want to make sure I know my abc's before I start paying for college level lectures. I just want to make sure when I do spend the money I am not holding up the progress of the program over things I should already have a clear understanding of.
      What frustrates you about those "clueless people?..."

-S
      The Book Has Arrived!
      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

To be more specific I do wholesale auto parts. I deal with insurance adjusters and automotive repair shops. They call me to find parts but often times can't tell me simple things like how many doors the car has or can't tell the difference between a steel or aluminum wheel, don't know the difference between crew and extended cab trucks or the difference in a 4 door sedan and a 4 door hatchback. Maybe I am the one in the wrong but these people do this everyday so I do have higher expectations of them than the general public. These are the "pros" of my field if you will. They need to be able to provide me with the information needed so I can get them correct parts.

Comment

To be more specific I do wholesale auto parts. I deal with insurance adjusters and automotive repair shops. They call me to find parts but often times can't tell me simple things like how many doors the car has or can't tell the difference between a steel or aluminum wheel, don't know the difference between crew and extended cab trucks or the difference in a 4 door sedan and a 4 door hatchback. Maybe I am the one in the wrong but these people do this everyday so I do have higher expectations of them than the general public. These are the "pros" of my field if you will. They need to be able to provide me with the information needed so I can get them correct parts.
          So, they don't know things you think they ought to know...

AND... I suspect that the above a question they've been asked for years and years (by people in your position) and continually don't know the answer to - for them simple every day questions...

AND... what kind of impression of them, if you to describe that kind of approach to their job, does that leave you with?...

(Yes, I'm goin' somewhere with this... LOL)

-S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

I wanna see where Scott's going with this.....
            STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
              So, they don't know things you think they ought to know...

AND... I suspect that the above a question they've been asked for years and years (by people in your position) and continually don't know the answer to - for them simple every day questions...

AND... what kind of impression of them, if you to describe that kind of approach to their job, does that leave you with?...

(Yes, I'm goin' somewhere with this... LOL)

-S

I just had to say something about my job in my orig post lol.

I am left with the impression these people have no desire to be the best they can be in their field or they just don't care. Them seem to have no initiative to learn more about their field that could only make their job easier.

Comment

I never want to answer one of Scott's questions...Afterward I would be thinking, "shit what does my answer really mean?"
                2005 HOA Natural Classic
                2006 OCB Midwest
                2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                2008 HOA Natural Classic
                NPC Mid-Illinois
                NPC Midwest Open
                NPC Natural Grand Prix
                2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                USPA Illinois State
                NGA Heart of America
                NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

I just had to say something about my job in my orig post lol.

I am left with the impression these people have no desire to be the best they can be in their field or they just don't care. Them seem to have no initiative to learn more about their field that could only make their job easier.
                  So, you hit the nail on the head, for me at least. I simply like to see that folks have an honest interest in what they're seeking to do, and that that interest / effort / motivation level matches pretty well with what they'd like to accomplish.

If someone just wants to get a decent physique, deal with some health issues sans medications and establish a stronger basis of nutrition and training knowledge, I would hope to see that initiative matches those goals.

Someone who is wanting to be an IFBB Pro I would hope would have a different perspective and level of committment.

If the goals / drive to achieve them are out of sync, this can cause some problems.

This (mismatch) does manifest in a lack of knowledge sometimes, I've seen, but often this comes down to the fact that someone hasn't really "learned how to learn." The curiosity, interest and drive is honestly there, but he / she doesn't recognize that what they lack is available for free. I so VERY often send prospective DC trainees here to IM b/c they don't know what a great resource it is here.

Sometimes, though, folks to want to be spoon-fed and I often balk at that b/c it tells me that without me "feeding" them, meaning they are paying me, when we're no longer working together, they're left with little in the way of a skill set to use to keep on training, progressing, learning, etc.

Originally posted by breck View Post
                  I never want to answer one of Scott's questions...Afterward I would be thinking, "shit what does my answer really mean?"
                  Is that such a bad thing to be wondering?... (And after you post an answer to that, will you still be asking the very same question?... LOL)

-S
                  Last edited by homonunculus; 11-02-2012, 01:42 PM.
                  The Book Has Arrived!
                  The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Same thing posted twice.
                    Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

People like Scott are amazing to work with. Though I've never worked, met or talked with Scott, he and people like him seems to have a knack for getting down to the underlying reasons for why you said, asked or did something and then show you what exactly is wrong (if something is at all wrong) and how you can fix it. The process is often exhausting and lots of people can't take it, but a couple things end up happening:

1) You get a real and useful answer

and hopefully,

2) You become a better critical and rational thinker and therefore don't need to ask the same type questions next time.

I was tough to think this way back in religious school and I'm much better of for it. Now Scott can tell me what's wrong with what I just said.
                      Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

And some of us, like me, second guess everything. We need individuals like Dr. S and Skip to set us straight.

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                          So, you hit the nail on the head, for me at least. I simply like to see that folks have an honest interest in what they're seeking to do, and that that interest / effort / motivation level matches pretty well with what they'd like to accomplish.

If someone just wants to get a decent physique, deal with some health issues sans medications and establish a stronger basis of nutrition and training knowledge, I would hope to see that initiative matches those goals.

Someone who is wanting to be an IFBB Pro I would hope would have a different perspective and level of committment.

If the goals / drive to achieve them are out of sync, this can cause some problems.

This (mismatch) does manifest in a lack of knowledge sometimes, I've seen, but often this comes down to the fact that someone hasn't really "learned how to learn." The curiosity, interest and drive is honestly there, but he / she doesn't recognize that what they lack is available for free. I so VERY often send prospective DC trainees here to IM b/c they don't know what a great resource it is here.

Sometimes, though, folks to want to be spoon-fed and I often balk at that b/c it tells me that without me "feeding" them, meaning they are paying me, when we're no longer working together, they're left with little in the way of a skill set to use to keep on training, progressing, learning, etc.

Is that such a bad thing to be wondering?... (And after you post an answer to that, will you still be asking the very same question?... LOL)

-S

Thanks for the reply! Your questions had me asking myself questions lol.

Comment

Originally posted by breck View Post
                            LOL...DAMMIT SCOTT...

After reading his replies I don't even know who the fuck I am anymore...I JUST WANT TO GET HUGE SCOTT.
                            Max Muscle
                            5020 Katella Ave.
                            Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                            www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by dakoose View Post
                              People like Scott are amazing to work with. Though I've never worked, met or talked with Scott, he and people like him seems to have a knack for getting down to the underlying reasons for why you said, asked or did something and then show you what exactly is wrong (if something is at all wrong) and how you can fix it. The process is often exhausting and lots of people can't take it, but a couple things end up happening:

1) You get a real and useful answer

and hopefully,

2) You become a better critical and rational thinker and therefore don't need to ask the same type questions next time.

I was tough to think this way back in religious school and I'm much better of for it. Now Scott can tell me what's wrong with what I just said.
                              LOL - Only thing "wrong" might be in thinking about things as "right" or "wrong," but now you've got me thinkin', too! LOL

Originally posted by jrf0104 View Post
                              And some of us, like me, second guess everything. We need individuals like Dr. S and Skip to set us straight.
                              Thanks for the reply! Your questions had me asking myself questions lol.
                              Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                              LOL...DAMMIT SCOTT...

After reading his replies I don't even know who the fuck I am anymore...I JUST WANT TO GET HUGE SCOTT.
                              LOL!

Thanks, Guys. MUCH appreciated positivity and humor.

-S
                              The Book Has Arrived!
                              The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Working...
                              X