Off Beat Progression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Beat Progression

A few years ago I wrote an article for another website which discussed progression. As I stated in that article most people only consider progression in terms of weight, and reps. The fact is there are many more ways to be progressive with your training. Some may consider adding volume as another way to be progressive, but most don't consider shortening rest periods, changing angles, slowing cadence, adding intensity techniques as progressive training.

Since the Intense Set of the Month contest is all about bicep training I thought I'd throw out an outside of the box progressive workout using one of the tools that is sponsoring the contest; Fat Gripz. As many of you know Fat Gripz hit the scene a several years ago as a tool that you could snap onto a bar and instantly turn that bar into a "Fat Bar". Now Fat Gripz has made and "Extreme" Fat Gripz. You might not thick much about a thicker grip, but to me I thought that this would be great for an outside the box training routine. Here it goes:

On this program you would train every other day. Here is the split:
    Day 1 Heavy Chest, Triceps and Shoulders/ Light Back
    Day 2 Light Legs and Light calves/ Heavy Biceps
    Day 3 Heavy Back/ Light Chest, triceps and Shoulders
    Day 4 Heavy Legs and calves/ Light biceps

*On the first exercise on the "Heavy" day use the same weight throughout the cycle unless it feels light. This is unlikely. Go through this cycle once, or twice. If you go through a second time use a heavier weight than you did the first time.

Week 1 Heavy Day
    EZ Bar Curls (No Fat Gripz) warm up until you get to a weight that you can do for 15 reps. Use that weight for 2 sets of 10. Hold the weight in the contracted position for 5 seconds, then lower in 5 seconds. When you get to the bottom raise up and contract quickly. When you hit failure rest for 5 deep breaths, then go again for 3-5 more reps. That is one set. Rest 1.5 minutes between sets.

EZ Cable Curls-2 sets of 12. On these do pumping sets. On the last set do a triple drop and try to get as much blood into the muscle as possible. Stretch after doing the drop set. Rest 1 minute between sets.

Week 1 Light Day
    Reverse or Rope Hammer Cable Curls 7 sets of 12 These should be pumping sets. Just try to get a lot of blood in the muscle. Stretch between sets. Rest 1 minute between sets.

Week 2 Heavy Day
    EZ Bar Curls (Original Fat Gripz) warm up until you get to a weight that you can do for 15 reps. Use that weight for 2 sets of 10. Hold the weight in the contracted position for 5 seconds, then lower in 5 seconds. When you get to the bottom raise up and contract quickly. When you hit failure rest for 5 deep breaths, then go again for 3-5 more reps. That is one set. Rest 1.5 minutes between sets.

EZ Cable Curls (Original Fat Gripz) 2 sets of 12. On these do pumping sets. On the last set do a triple drop and try to get as much blood into the muscle as possible. Stretch after doing the drop set. Rest 1 minute between sets.

Week 2 Light Day
    Reverse or Rope Hammer Cable Curls 7 sets of 12 These should be pumping sets. Just try to get a lot of blood in the muscle. Stretch between sets. Rest 1 minute between sets.

Week 3 Heavy Day
    EZ Bar Curls (Extreme Fat Gripz) warm up until you get to a weight that you can do for 15 reps. Use that weight for 2 sets of 10. Hold the weight in the contracted position for 5 seconds, then lower in 5 seconds. When you get to the bottom raise up and contract quickly. When you hit failure rest for 5 deep breaths, then go again for 3-5 more reps. That is one set. Rest 1.5 minutes between sets.

EZ Cable Curls (Extreme Fat Gripz) 2 sets of 12. On these do pumping sets. On the last set do a triple drop and try to get as much blood into the muscle as possible. Stretch after doing the drop set. Rest 1 minute between sets.

Week 3 Light Day
    Reverse or Rope Hammer Cable Curls 7 sets of 12. These should be pumping sets. Just try to get a lot of blood in the muscle. Stretch between sets. Rest 1 minute.

Week 4 Heavy Day
    Reverse EZ Bar Curls (No Fat Gripz) warm up until you get to a weight that you can do for 15 reps. Remember you I still want the same weight as last time. You may not be able to hit 10 reps, but get as many as you can. Hold the weight in the contracted position for 5 seconds, then lower in 5 seconds. When you get to the bottom raise up and contract quickly. When you hit failure rest for 5 deep breaths, then go again for 3-5 more reps. Do this until you reach 10 reps. This may mean you have to do more than one rest pause. That is one set. Rest 1.5 minutes between sets.

Reverse Cable Curls (No Fat Gripz) 2 sets of 12. You do not need to use the same weight as you did on regular cable curls. On these do pumping sets. On the last set do a triple drop and try to get as much blood into the muscle as possible. Stretch after doing the drop set. Rest 1 minute between sets.

Week 4 Light Day
    EZ Bar Cable Curls 7 sets of 12. These should be pumping sets. Just try to get a lot of blood in the muscle. Stretch between sets. Rest 1 minute between sets.

Week 5 Heavy Day
    Reverse EZ Bar Curls (Original Fat Gripz) warm up until you get to a weight that you can do for 15 reps. Remember you I still want the same weight as last time. You may not be able to hit 10 reps, but get as many as you can. Hold the weight in the contracted position for 5 seconds, then lower in 5 seconds. When you get to the bottom raise up and contract quickly. When you hit failure rest for 5 deep breaths, then go again for 3-5 more reps. Do this until you reach 10 reps. This may mean you have to do more than one rest pause. That is one set. Rest 1.5 minutes between sets.

Reverse Cable Curls (Original Fat Gripz) 2 sets of 12. You do not need to use the same weight as you did on regular cable curls, but go as heavy as you can. On these do pumping sets. On the last set do a triple drop and try to get as much blood into the muscle as possible. Stretch after doing the drop set. Rest 1 minute between sets.

Week 5 Light workout
    EZ Bar Cable Curls 7 sets of 12. These should be pumping sets. Just try to get a lot of blood in the muscle. Stretch between sets. Rest 1 minute between sets.

Week 6 Heavy Day
    Reverse EZ Bar Curls (Extreme Fat Gripz) warm up until you get to a weight that you can do for 15 reps. Remember you I still want the same weight as last time. You may not be able to hit 10 reps, but get as many as you can. Hold the weight in the contracted position for 5 seconds, then lower in 5 seconds. When you get to the bottom raise up and contract quickly. When you hit failure rest for 5 deep breaths, then go again for 3-5 more reps. Do this until you reach 10 reps. This may mean you have to do more than one rest pause. That is one set. Rest 1.5 minutes between sets.

Reverse Cable Curls (Extreme Fat Gripz) 2 sets of 12. You do not need to use the same weight as you did on regular cable curls, but go as heavy as you can. On these do pumping sets. On the last set do a triple drop and try to get as much blood into the muscle as possible. Stretch after doing the drop set. Rest 1 minute between sets.

Week 6 Light workout

If you try it send me an message and let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Doberman; 10-31-2012, 01:34 PM.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

so why add the fat gripz? Do they help grip strength or forearms or something?

Sorry, I just dont think i understand the advantage of a thicker bar

Comment

It will do three things:

1. When you open your hand up (with a thicker grip) you will make the exercise harder. You will also have a slightly different stimulation go the bicep. Here is a little experiment. curl a dumbbell in a seated position like you normally would. Next use a much lighter weight. Curl the dumbbell seated, but this time open your hand all the way and have the dumbbell "rest" on your fingers. You may have to bend your hand back to keep the dumbbell place. Go slow and try 12-15 reps. If you do this right you will see what I mean.

2. The other advantage to this is that by squeezing the dumbbell more you will get a different stimulus over a thinner grip. I mentioned before that well respected coach, Jim Seitzer made the point that squeezing the bar will result in better development.

3. We are using the change to the reverse grip as a way to progress, and to change the stimulus. Besides the advantages for the biceps you will work your forearms more effectively than some wrist curls would do since you are having to squeeze to hold onto the bar while curling.

Hope that helps.
      1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
      2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
      2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
      2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
      2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
      2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Working...
      X