Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of Strongman type workouts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of Strongman type workouts?

I've started training with a Strongman training crew about 4 months ago and can't get enough of it.

After training so long in a gym this is a welcomed change. It's very different and a lot of fun.

We rent a school gym so in order to keep the rental costs down I am trying to recruit friends and co-workers to join me but getting a lot of hesitation.

I don't understand why. Once you try it you are hooked. It encompasses strength, conditioning, explosiveness, REAL functional strength and it's in a friendly but competitive atmosphere so you push yourself.

What is your opinion of strongman and why aren't more people interested?

I assume people imagine that you need to be really big and strong to do this and they are intimidated but the reality is the sport has now evolved where there are different weight classes and skill levels (Amateur, Intermediate, Advanced, Pro).

We have guys that range from 5'5" to 6'5" and they weigh between 170lbs to 350lbs. Some are just getting started and some are really strong.

Looking for opinions on why aren't more people interested?

Thanks!
    If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
    http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
    2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
    2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

"We rent a school gym so in order to keep the rental costs down I am trying to recruit friends and co-workers to join me but getting a lot of hesitation."

I've trained at a private strongman gym here in B.C. I find that simply finding gyms with the right people and equipment is the biggest challenge. The Strongman Index websites suck and most the strongman gyms I found were just 8-10 buddies from high school who all chip in to rent and purchase equipment here and there. I was pretty intimidated as well, not because of the size or strength of these guys, but more because in general strongman gyms are like clubs, and I've found you kind of have to earn your right of passage into the "friend group". My point is it's not like a commercial gym were you just pay your fees and do your thing. You develop relationships and are in more social contact with the other members; therefore, you have to put yourself in more vulnerable social situations and will get critiqued and observed during your lifting. I found that when i actually sucked it up and went I learnt more about lifting, and increased my strength way faster than I have ever, with only training 3 days a week too.

...Plus, what other gyms do members regularly go for McDonalds eating competitions! booya!

Comment

Originally posted by Valhalla View Post
      "We rent a school gym so in order to keep the rental costs down I am trying to recruit friends and co-workers to join me but getting a lot of hesitation."

I've trained at a private strongman gym here in B.C. I find that simply finding gyms with the right people and equipment is the biggest challenge. The Strongman Index websites suck and most the strongman gyms I found were just 8-10 buddies from high school who all chip in to rent and purchase equipment here and there. I was pretty intimidated as well, not because of the size or strength of these guys, but more because in general strongman gyms are like clubs, and I've found you kind of have to earn your right of passage into the "friend group". My point is it's not like a commercial gym were you just pay your fees and do your thing. You develop relationships and are in more social contact with the other members; therefore, you have to put yourself in more vulnerable social situations and will get critiqued and observed during your lifting. I found that when i actually sucked it up and went I learnt more about lifting, and increased my strength way faster than I have ever, with only training 3 days a week too.

...Plus, what other gyms do members regularly go for McDonalds eating competitions! booya!
      Great post, I never really thought of it like that but you are right, it's like a club of some sort and you do need to be more social and be accepted by the group. It might be more work at first but there is the benefit that most of the guys in the training crew quickly become friends.

My strength has also increased very quickly from all the tips the other guys gave me plus putting in the extra effort every set.
      If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
      http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
      2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
      2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

Working...
      X