Diabetic Diet for Body Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetic Diet for Body Building

OK... so I get a modestly high blood glucose blood test (108 s/b less than 100), doc wants to go "over it" which I interpret as "let's hit this thing early so it doesn't go anywhere."

I'm game... my mother has full blown Type II. So I started researching diet...

In a nutshell:

Eat Fruits, veggies, whole grains, moderate protein (emphasis on fish, lean meat), and limited amounts of the usual 'good fats' (nuts, avocados, etc.).

It struck me as odd that people who cannot process sugars properly get "moderate" or less on proteins and fats, but no such caveat on carbs, only the types... but I digress.

Then I got to the admonition to exercise... and recommendations for mall walking and so on.

Reaction: You're shitting me, right?? My workload would kill obese grandma.

So, seeing this stuff, I came to IM looking for advice on BB diet for (potential or actual) diabetics, but couldn't specific information (or my search fu sucks, take your pick).

My doc would turn me into a running skeleton if he had half a chance... I'm looking here to make sure that's not the only option. Even my dear wife, who knows my goals (I think) defaulted to 'do a lot more cardio.'

Note: I'm not looking for personal advice on my (limited and, as of yet, undiagnosed) issue... rather an answer to the questions of:

What should a diabetic bodybuilder do for diet (bulking, cutting, or recomp) and can he/she get the protein needed for the lifestyle... or is the person basically fucked and needs to find other interests while doing "something is better than nothing workouts)?

I need a better understanding before I go see the doc.
    I've won on so many levels already I don't even care how I do at the show. I just wanna look damn good!!

--Steel

Muscles don't know how old they are.

Treat them like they are old and eat soup... and they will be.

Train 'em hard and feed them like a stud... and they will be.

So will you.

Journal

I wrote a huge response to this with more citations and quotes, but since time is limited here is my revised response:

Before I lay this out let me first say that you need to talk with your doctor. Anything I say should be reviewed with him.

The old school (circa 1980's-90's) had us eating small frequent meals throughout the day. These meals would usually be high carb, moderate protein, and low fat. The ideas was you could only utilize 30 grams of protein at a sitting (Now know as false), and that fat made you fat (also false), and that multiple meals a day could increase the metabolism, increase the utilization of nutrients, and stabilize blood sugar. Like I stated the first two were out right wrong. The multiple meal a day strategy may have a benefit with nutrient uptake, but the I don't think it has been proven, how much. The increase in metabolism has more less been shown to be either minimal or not a factor. For instance if you eat 5 meals of 2000 calories vs. 3 meals of 2000 calories it will cost roughly the same amount of calories to process the food. The argument that it will stabilize blood sugar has some degree of truth, but the amount that this would benefit the average person is again negligible since a "normal" person produces insulin without a problem.

A diabetic or pre diabetic on the other hand may benefit from the strategy of multiple meals as it can help to regulate blood sugar. Smaller meal will help to keep blood sugar from spiking too high, while multiple meals will keep blood sugar from dipping too low. Here are a couple links on this:

http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazin...ht/art-grazing

http://www.livebetteramerica.com/hea...-diabetes-diet

Eating healthy fats also should be part of the strategy. They can help with inflammation as well as controlling blood sugar. Fats such as fish oil and Macadamia nut oil are also considered heart friendly. This should be doubly a concern for diabetics as they are more likely to suffer from heart disease and stroke. Fats to include would be olive oil (don't cook with it), mac nut oil, and fish oil. Most sources say to skip coconut oil. I don't agree with that, but that is what many of the "experts" say.

http://www.joslin.org/info/identifyi...your_diet.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45231119...fend-diabetes/

Finally, I really believe in fiber. It will help to stabilize blood sugar, as well help to keep you full. I advise people losing weight to shoot for 35 grams of fiber. In a study it was shown that people eating 50 grams of fiber a day were able to control blood sugar more effectively than people that ate lower amounts. It should also be noted that fiber will also attach to cholesterol. Now I'm not a big anti-cholesterol person, but for a group that may be more susceptible to heart disease this may show benefit. Shoot for the majority of the fiber to be soluble fiber.

http://www.joslin.org/info/how_does_...se_levels.html

http://diabetes.webmd.com/understand...hydrates-fiber

Now back to the beginning of this. If you take any of this info make sure you talk with your doctor about it. Good luck.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Thanks Doberman for the insight and detail. I have two purposes here... spool myself up on information to have at my finger tips when I do go see the doc and to set in a thread guys coming to the site with an interest in BB and a diabetic issue can read to try to figure out a way to balance the two in a productive way.

Lord knows my plain google search of the matter drew me a picture that said: "BB? Get real... it's a buck 25 aerobic star for you, bucko."

I don't see why the two can't be balanced. No, such a person (hoping I'm not really one) will never have the gains of a healthy lifter (duh), but I'm not seeing a reason that the guy can't get what gains that can be had.

My personal worry was that the doc was going to tell me, at 233, that 1) BMI says you're obese (I'm carrying, but let's get real here) and 2) make do with 2000? 1800? less? cal and 150g protein, tops... and even that is sketchy.

Now to read the links you were kind enough to provide!
      I've won on so many levels already I don't even care how I do at the show. I just wanna look damn good!!

--Steel

So will you.

Journal

Comment

No problem. Here is an article from a bodbuilder with type 1 diabetes. You might wan to to contact him to see if you can get more info.

http://www.bodybuildingworld.com/vol...ural-peak.html
        1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
        2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
        2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
        2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
        2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
        2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
        Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Now that is awesome, thanks! That guy lives damn close to me (1 hour, tops), I'll have to look him up.

Looks like he has a nice heavy protein diet going with reasonable morning cardio.

Very cool.

--Steel

So will you.

Journal

Comment

Good luck with this. I know it's scary but most times doing the things with the diet like Dobe spoke of can totally "cure" someone of sugar issues. My brother was obese and diabetic (type 2) but was able to eliminate all meds after figuring out the diet that worked for him, thru all times of the day. Certain foods affected him at different times and it took awhile, but we figured it out and he was able to abandon all meds and now has normal A1C's.....his doctor STILL wants him to take his meds.....go figure......lol
            STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

lol... that's docs for you: once they get their hooks in, they don't like to let go.

Hell, I'm not all that sure I _have_ a sugar issue... I'm getting tested for cortisol and I have a hunch that's the real culprit.

Lots of support here and great info... just one little bump in the road.

--Steel

So will you.

Journal

Comment

Originally posted by atwood1
                hey guys the topic is awesome! And one of the favorite of my.after your exercise, have your protein shake and some crabs and also take some blood insulin. Its what some serious non-diabetic muscular builders do. Your body demands the protein after a exercise. The blood insulin will take the protein to the muscular instantly.
                :wtf:

Comment

Originally posted by Atwood1
                  Hey Guys the topic is awesome! and one of the favorite of my.After your exercise, have your protein shake and some crabs and also take some blood insulin. Its what some serious non-diabetic muscular builders do. Your body demands the protein after a exercise. The blood insulin will take the protein to the muscular instantly.
                  Where are you from buddy?
                  STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by Atwood1
                    Hey Guys the topic is awesome! and one of the favorite of my.After your exercise, have your protein shake and some crabs and also take some blood insulin. Its what some serious non-diabetic muscular builders do. Your body demands the protein after a exercise. The blood insulin will take the protein to the muscular instantly.
                    It's a fake account. Bumped a random thread last week, thought he'd have been banned or whatever you all do already.

Comment

lol

--Steel

So will you.

Journal

Comment

I know there are a lot of people that have diabetes and used a ketogenic style diet and have a really good run with it. I don't have the link to any studies on hand right now, but once I have a chance to I'll link them all to you.

Comment

http://www.livestrong.com/article/47...osis-diabetes/
                          http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/5/1/36
                          http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2...s-medications/

Another worthwhile read would be The Anabolic Diet: For Bodybuilders by Dr. Mario DiPasquale

Comment

Dean,

Have you googled the diagnostic criteria for Type 2 diabetes?...

-S
                            The Book Has Arrived!
                            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                            2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                            2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

as far as blood sugar goes, i had some issues back in high school that gave my family a scare (both types seem to run in the family). My acupuncturist recommended oatmeal with cinnamon as my main breakfast item, and that really seemed to keep me more stable throughout the day. she made other dietary recommendations, but if youre a BBer, chances are you're already eating a well balanced diet with multiple healthy snacks, cutting out "unhealthy" carbs, etc etc

Comment

Working...
                              X