Gaining weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaining weight

I have upped my cals recently hoping to slowly start adding some weight over the next few months. I have read several times that when cutting if you are dropping more than a few pounds a week you are probably losing some muscle mass too. Is there a rule of thumb like this for gaining? For example if I shoot for 2lbs a week over 10 weeks that's 20lbs. I know I can't add 20lbs of muscle in 10 weeks so is that too much weight to gain since most will be fat? Should I be aiming more towards a pound a week or even less?
    6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
    1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Originally posted by LKQSJH View Post
    I have upped my cals recently hoping to slowly start adding some weight over the next few months. I have read several times that when cutting if you are dropping more than a few pounds a week you are probably losing some muscle mass too. Is there a rule of thumb like this for gaining? For example if I shoot for 2lbs a week over 10 weeks that's 20lbs. I know I can't add 20lbs of muscle in 10 weeks so is that too much weight to gain since most will be fat? Should I be aiming more towards a pound a week or even less?
    1lb of weight gain per week is what most people shoot for. Beyond that it's going to be mostly fat which will make it harder to maintain your mass when you start to cut since you will have to cut for longer.

Comment

It really depends on your body type and how fast you add muscle or fat. Meaning, if you are an ecto, meso, or endo type (or combo), the protocol for adding weight would vastly differ. SLOW is the key to cutting AND gaining if you are looking to add muscle without gaining too much fat, but is it the OPTIMAL or FASTEST way to put on muscle?? That is the question that has been argued by many on this board and in this industry. I do not want to get into this again as it has been discussed in a few other threads here at IM, but I don't think setting a goal of a pound a week is going to make you into Buddah anytime soon as your body will definitely go through some plateaus with the scale. Just remember the scale is a tool but not the ONLY tool, as body composition is more important than just what you weigh on a scale. Good luck!
      "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

Working...
      X