Training question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training question

2 part really, 1st kinda general, 2nd specific: Ive identified my weak areas and muscle groups that I need to bring up, how much emphasis should be placed on training lagging body parts? So much that I virtually neglect my strong points or is there a "ratio" of sorts?

Also, Ive been doing wide grip chins along with close grip underhand pulldowns to get more thickness to my lower lats. Is there something I can change or add to help em flare?

What areas do you consider weak points? Are they actually weak points or are the proportionate to the rest of your body and you need more overall size?

I recall from your intro that you train DC, correct?

If you are using DC and a two-way split, you can optimize you exercise selection to emphasize the areas that need additional work. You DO NOT want to neglect your other bodyparts because then you'll start to develop imbalances and get yourself stuck in a cycle training to make yourself proportionate when you can avoid this completely by maintaining a balanced training program.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

How much muscle have you put on since you started training? IMO if you haven't put on at least 40lbs you don't really have any weak points. Get huge all over and then see where you are at. What do you consider weak points to be on you?

As far as lats go, any pulldown/pullup should be done with either a neutral grip or palms facing you and with a shoulder width grip. That wide grip stuff mostly works the upper back muscles/rear delts/rhomboid etc.
      Also try doing DB rows with both arms going at the same time. Big stretch at the bottom and feel your scapula come together at the top.
      Meadows rows are also very good if you can get the form right.
      Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

Biceps for example, front relaxed they look small, when I hit a double front they lack peaks. Now I know part of this is due to my Delt development, I actually dont like Chest day because pressing makes my delts bigger which in turn makes my arms look smaller.

I train DC yessir. What I was contemplating was this; could I train on a A B A split, A consisting of lagging body parts, B consisting of strong areas (like chest&delts), so in fact I would be training A twice a week, B once a week?

Or am I thinking about this totally the wrong way?

Comment

I would put more emphasis on the weak area, but make sure to train everything equally to some degree.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            How much muscle have you put on since you started training? IMO if you haven't put on at least 40lbs you don't really have any weak points. Get huge all over and then see where you are at. What do you consider weak points to be on you?

As far as lats go, any pulldown/pullup should be done with either a neutral grip or palms facing you and with a shoulder width grip. That wide grip stuff mostly works the upper back muscles/rear delts/rhomboid etc.
            Also try doing DB rows with both arms going at the same time. Big stretch at the bottom and feel your scapula come together at the top.
            Meadows rows are also very good if you can get the form right.
            I started at 135, got up to 195 last fall, cut to 172 this summer. (5'5") My weak points are Biceps, Lower Lats, Hams. Im gonna switch my grip to shoulder width for sure then, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by maintain View Post
              Biceps for example, front relaxed they look small, when I hit a double front they lack peaks. Now I know part of this is due to my Delt development, I actually dont like Chest day because pressing makes my delts bigger which in turn makes my arms look smaller.

I train DC yessir. What I was contemplating was this; could I train on a A B A split, A consisting of lagging body parts, B consisting of strong areas (like chest&delts), so in fact I would be training A twice a week, B once a week?

Or am I thinking about this totally the wrong way?
              Yeah.... OK, so if you are lacking in the biceps, do underhand grip pulling exercises since you'll hit your biceps doing that. Underhand grip BB rows (also going to add thickness to the lower lats ), just do these controlled so you don't pull a bicep. Underhand grip low cable rows, chins and pulldowns with an underhand grip...these will add mass to your biceps AND hit your lower lats.

For forearms, do things like reverse BB or DB curls, hammer curls, reverse or hammer preacher curls, reverse or hammer spider curls, pinwheel curls, hammer cable curls... and if you'd like, RP them, since these will also emphasize your biceps.

I'm not going to say this is the proper thing to do, but another option would be to use the 3 way split and add in an extra exercise for lagging bodyparts. Before determining if using the 3-way would be suitable you'd have to look at your overall experience, how you've progressed using DC to this point, whether you truly have weak points, and what would be best for your given situation.
              Last edited by mentalflex; 10-10-2012, 11:34 PM.
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Ok, Im stayin with a standard DC 2way split, the only change Im making is to only do underhand, palms up pulling exercises for back (and deads of course). Thanks for your help brothers!

Comment

Not to throw too much into the mix of advice here but I experimented with doing the traditional dc 2 way split a few years back and only trained biceps once every third training session or on every a1 workout and did well with the change up. It was more out of curiosity due to feeling like my biceps were always lagging and thinking that I had to add more work to get them to respond. It produced moderate gains and made then sore and pumped everytime I did train them. Just my 2cents.

Comment

So you trained Bis every 3rd session instead of every other session, that sounds interesting. I'm always struggling with the mental debate: "am I not training enough, or am I over-training?" Another internal debate I always have about training: "Will this muscle group respond better to high weight low reps or low weight high reps"? Calves for example, I train 'em til they fail and then stretch at bottom of the end of the movement. Sometimes this can go on for 100 reps+ but they're growing that's all I care about!

Comment

Originally posted by maintain View Post
                      So you trained Bis every 3rd session instead of every other session, that sounds interesting. I'm always struggling with the mental debate: "am I not training enough, or am I over-training?" Another internal debate I always have about training: "Will this muscle group respond better to high weight low reps or low weight high reps"? Calves for example, I train 'em til they fail and then stretch at bottom of the end of the movement. Sometimes this can go on for 100 reps+ but they're growing that's all I care about!
                      I hear you about the internal debating thing. One thing I have learned though is that anything is worth trying for a while to see if it works. If it doesn't, no harm no foul because you know how easy it is to catch up to where you were previously.

Comment

Working...
                      X