Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hybrid Strength/Power/Hypertrophy Routine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid Strength/Power/Hypertrophy Routine.

Before I get into the meat of this thread, I'd like to give a special thanks to board member John Caesar for help with band training that he gave me in the last thread I posted a few weeks back.

Now, some background information: I've been training consistently (no time off outside of de-loads) for about 5 years now and for the most part it's been pretty standard training. My strength level right about now is: 260 flat bench, 340 squat, 450 dead. My flat bench is weak but I can put up 100 lb DB's on an incline bench for 4+ reps, so my chest isn't a weak point, it's just flat benching that sucks. I do DB Rows with a dead stop at the bottom for sets of 12-15 with 100 lb'rs and my seated OHP with a barbell is around 175-185, I think, though I typically use the hammer strength overhead press machine as it's a great machine, I think.

Physique-wise, I'm sitting where I've been for most of the last year and a half, 5"8, ~185 lbs at ~10% BF, right around where I'm at in my avatar. My goals? Well, I'm not a bodybuilder and I love basketball and football, so I'd like to stay around this same weight while being leaner, 6-7 % BF. For strength, I want to flat bench 3 wheels (because flat bench is still king, lol), squat 4 and dead 5 and be as explosive an athlete that I can be at this size.

Anyhow, I'm looking to introduce some new stuff into my routine as this shit has started to get a little stale and I've been really interested in band training for a while now. So....I figure I go with a hybrid routine that has some of my favorite moves from my routines of the past for size while incorporating fun new stuff with bands and some other power/athletic exercises. What I came up with is a half westside, half hypertrophy routine which I'd like to throw out here and get feedback on.

So here goes:

This routine will be done in 4 week stretches with the fifth week being a break from band training in which maxes will be re-tested on the days that would otherwise be dedicated to band training. After testing maxes, training weights would be re-calculated for the next 4-week cycle. On the hypertrophy training days for those weeks, intensity/weight will be dropped by 25%. Cardio will be avoided during the 4 week wave but will be done 3-4 times during the 1 week de-load. The only exception is doing some light basketball drills on 1 one of my off-days each week to maintain my mechanics.

A1-Sunday-Dynamic Upper Body Day
    Warm up with light elliptical work, k-bell swings and shoulder pre-hab.
    -Speed Bench: 8x3, 1 minute rest, wave from 50-60% 1RM. These will be done with EliteFTS long mini's.
    -Hang Cleans: 4x4-7, 1 minute rest, done as explosively as possible.
    -Push Press: 4x6-9, 1 minute rest, done as explosively as possible. Wave 70-80% 1RM.
    -Skip-style triceps extension on the preacher: 5x8-15, 1 minute rest.
    -Weighted Ab Exercise: 3 x 20-30 reps.
    -Farmer's Carries: Holding 45lb plates, 4 x As many trips across the gym as possible. 1 minute rest.

B1-Monday-Hypertrophy Back Width and Thickness
    -Dead stop DB Rows: 5x10-15, 1 minute rest.
    -Wide Grip Pulldowns: 4x10-15, 1 minute rest.
    -Hammer Strength Pullovers: 4x10-15, 1 minute rest.
    -Dante Barbell Shrugs: 4x8, 1.5 minute rest. These are the ones he talked about last week.
    -Farmer's Carries: Holding 45lb plates, 4 x As many trips across the gym as possible. 1 minute rest.

A2-Wednesday-Upper Body Hypertrophy
    -Incline DB Press: 5x10-15, 1 minute rest.
    -Machine Chest Flies: 3x20-30, 1 minute rest.
    -Widest Grip Hammer Strength OHP: 5x15-20, 1 minute rest.
    -Machine Seated Lateral Raises: 4x20-30, 1 minute rest.
    -Wide Grip EZ Bar Upright Rows: 4x10-20, 1 minute rest.
    -Seated Triceps Pushdowns: 4x10-20, 1 minute rest.
    -Ab Exercise: 3x20-30.

B2-Friday-Dynamic Lower Body
    -Speed Squats: 10x2, 1 minute rest w/ monster mini bands. 50-60% 1RM.
    -Speed Deads: 8x1, 45 seconds rest w/short bands. 50-60% 1RM.
    -Leg Extensions: 3x10-15, 1 minute rest.
    -Leg Curls: 3x10-15.
    -Leg Abductor and Leg Adductor work.

I'd incorporate some arm work on one of my three off days, more than likely on Thursday before my dynamic lower body training.

So.....what do y'all think?
    Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

I don't know shit about west side or band training but I have most of the same goals as you. I've now added a plate to everything you said and dunking a bball for long term goals. 6 ft 235 and grabbing rim is hard and I have a few things that worked for me and might work for you.
    I would keep the cleans less than 5 reps and do them before bench. I actually liked to go 5's for warm ups and doubles for working sets till i felt slower.
    Dynamic lower body I would put power cleans or hang snatches in there. I have the worst snatch in the world but the explosion you get from it is impressive despite low weights.
    Lower body I would cut out leg curls, leg extensions, and substitute with a split squat (started doing reverse lunge front squats from t-nation and love them) and a one legged RDL.
    Rest times might also have to be adjusted, at least on the dynamic days. Olympic lifts ad explosive lifts might be better with lower rep range and more sets.
    It's hard as hell to do hypertrophy and athletic training together, I like 5/3/1 just because I could do whatever the hell I want after the main lift. I think what you have down on paper looks good, the suggestions I made may help, but biggest thing is adjust whenever needed whether it be exercise selection/days/volume whatever.

Comment

If your goal is strength then why not a full westside routine? There is a ws4bb routine out there you can look at or Layne Nortons PHAT is very similar to westside too if you are looking for a bb version. I only see one day for lower, not sure how that will work out.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyJohnson View Post
        If your goal is strength then why not a full westside routine? There is a ws4bb routine out there you can look at or Layne Nortons PHAT is very similar to westside too if you are looking for a bb version. I only see one day for lower, not sure how that will work out.
        For one, my goal isn't purely strength, like I stated above, it's a blend of a few different things. I like some aspects of BB training, but I also want to incorporate some new fun stuff into my routine, so I'm trying a hybrid. Additionally, I'm looking to actually construct my own routine to try out, as I'm going for my CSCS soon and would like to see if I can put something together that would work all right for my specific goals; it's a little more fun when you put together your own routine.

I don't know shit about west side or band training but I have most of the same goals as you. I've now added a plate to everything you said and dunking a bball for long term goals. 6 ft 235 and grabbing rim is hard and I have a few things that worked for me and might work for you.
        I would keep the cleans less than 5 reps and do them before bench. I actually liked to go 5's for warm ups and doubles for working sets till i felt slower.
        Dynamic lower body I would put power cleans or hang snatches in there. I have the worst snatch in the world but the explosion you get from it is impressive despite low weights.
        Lower body I would cut out leg curls, leg extensions, and substitute with a split squat (started doing reverse lunge front squats from t-nation and love them) and a one legged RDL.
        Rest times might also have to be adjusted, at least on the dynamic days. Olympic lifts ad explosive lifts might be better with lower rep range and more sets.
        It's hard as hell to do hypertrophy and athletic training together, I like 5/3/1 just because I could do whatever the hell I want after the main lift. I think what you have down on paper looks good, the suggestions I made may help, but biggest thing is adjust whenever needed whether it be exercise selection/days/volume whatever.
        1) Good point on the cleans. Going heavier for lower reps will probably help more with power and explosiveness than a higher rep range. i'd probably go with something like 5x3, then.
        2) I've never tried snatches, so I won't include them right away as I don't want to hurt myself with bad form, but I'll work on form a bit on one of my off-days and see how I like the movement.
        3) You're probably right about the supplemental leg exercises, some isolated leg work may be better off, I'll swap out the curls and extensions and come up with something else.

Thanks for the input fellas.
        Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

If you're going for your CSCS you should know its virtually impossible to program for athletic performance, strength, and hypertrophy. They are all different programming, require different movement patterns and loads.
          Are you taking a strength and conditioning class or are you challenging it from another background?

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
            If you're going for your CSCS you should know its virtually impossible to program for athletic performance, strength, and hypertrophy. They are all different programming, require different movement patterns and loads. Are you taking a strength and conditioning class or are you challenging it from another background?
            I understand fully going in that it's not going to be optimal in a given direction....but I'm trying to balance goals with creativity and fun for the next while and see how this shit works. I want to push this kind of routine myself instead of just reading how impossible it is to accomplish a couple different goals at once. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work, but I want to try out an approach like this to see if maybe, just maybe, it does work. Who knows?

I have a BA in Biology so the science aspect of their requirements are not new to me, it's all just a refresher for everything I learned a couple years ago. The training, form and nutritional stuff is all going to be different, I expect, as it's their suggestions and regardless of what I've learned through training, reading and experience, I've got to push that to the side and learn their approaches in order to pass the exam.

What I'm basically planning on doing is learning their textbook thoroughly, as from what I've read and heard from guys who have taken the CSCS, it's pretty much all in their textbook "Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning."

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Yeah I went KIN but never tried for the CSCS. I have been wanting to as it actually helps minorly in the field I'm going. I had just heard its actually hard because it is straight from the book. Little off base but I want to know your experience with it when you finish the process.

The program looks good, only real thing I see besides what I mentioned earlier is the volume (sets/reps and exercises) and rest periods but with a hybrid program those are the variables most different. You're not dumb so tweaking it will be second nature and keeping a journal (not just a basic log) will ensure your on the right track.

Comment

Your right around my strength level. On your bench, have you Looked at your form. You might be able to get 3 plates(or work up to it), if you change it to more of a Powerlifting form bench. Watch Dave tates, so you think you can Bench series, helped me a lot.

Comment

Yeah I went KIN but never tried for the CSCS. I have been wanting to as it actually helps minorly in the field I'm going. I had just heard its actually hard because it is straight from the book. Little off base but I want to know your experience with it when you finish the process.

The program looks good, only real thing I see besides what I mentioned earlier is the volume (sets/reps and exercises) and rest periods but with a hybrid program those are the variables most different. You're not dumb so tweaking it will be second nature and keeping a journal (not just a basic log) will ensure your on the right track.
                  I'll definitely let you know how it goes when I get through it. I'm only ~100 pages into the textbook as of now so I've still got a while to go, but it shouldn't take too long to get through it all. I'm hoping to have enough time over the next month to sit down and get in 15-20 pages per day, with notes and all, of course.

Yeah, for the last couple weeks I've just been going to the gym and trying out some different movements, playing around with different band tensions and dotting down little things in my log-book about what I liked and didn't like about the movements, the rest-periods and just things that needed tweaking. The first wave of this program will definitely be a learning progress, but that's kind of the fun of it, you know?

Your right around my strength level. On your bench, have you Looked at your form. You might be able to get 3 plates(or work up to it), if you change it to more of a Powerlifting form bench. Watch Dave tates, so you think you can Bench series, helped me a lot.
                  Yeah, someone sent me a link to Dave's vids a couple years ago, I think it was someone over at IA's, and they're good. I remember incorporating some of his recommendations back then and immediately adding something like 20lbs to my 1RM. However, I've stayed away from flat benching for a while and I think that my ~260 1RM (which isn't impressive, by any means) on the flat bench is almost entirely from carryover from overhead pressing, incline presses and heavy dipping, as I honestly don't know when the last time I trained my flat bench was. I can't remember the last time I did anything on a flat bench other than high rep guillotine presses with no more than 150-170 pounds. I'm not crazy about flat benching, but I'm hoping that after several cycles with band training I can get my max up to three plates......we'll see how this goes.

If this routine doesn't go all that well, I'll revert to more traditional periodization and alternate periods of strength/power training with hypertrophy periods.

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Working...
                  X