No announcement yet.

Declining muscle repair being reversed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Declining muscle repair being reversed?

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-smo092512.php

Taken from reddit.com. The drug is Tamoxifen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamoxifen

What do you sciency folks say about this?
    Max Muscle
    5020 Katella Ave.
    Los Alamitos, CA 90720
    www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

I can't really make anything out of this without seeing the actual paper.

From the press release it appears the study suggests a new alternate pathology of age-related muscle wasting, which is due to an abundance of FGF2 that causes faster stem cell fusing than stem cell proliferation. However, the info in the press release is contradictory. It says FGF2 is also a signaler for proliferation, so in theory this should actually do more to replentish the satellite cell pool. Cell signaling is of course very complex and context dependent, and a signal release in one context can initiate a signaling cascade that's very different from that same signal released under a different context.

Therefore, looks like hogwash until I see the paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Big R View Post

From the press release it appears the study suggests a new alternate pathology of age-related muscle wasting, which is due to an abundance of FGF2 that causes faster stem cell fusing than stem cell proliferation. However, the info in the press release is contradictory. It says FGF2 is also a signaler for proliferation, so in theory this should actually do more to replentish the satellite cell pool. Cell signaling is of course very complex and context dependent, and a signal release in one context can initiate a signaling cascade that's very different from that same signal released under a different context.

I'm just curious, you seem as if you are somewhat schooled in research and such. What are your qualifications regarding these types of research? Are you a bio major or something?
      STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by Big R View Post

Yeah I don't know how you got all of that from the article. It would be worth looking at FGF2 does exactly, my pathology book may have some info.
        Unless you have a great background in physiology I don't know how you'd be able to make all those statements.

You are right about needing to see the actual paper, the link is written for a very basic audience and leaves out all the details.
        Last edited by big ross; 09-28-2012, 06:46 PM.

Comment

I'll third on waiting to see the Nature article.

But...*Nature!*
          #docswholift
          PGY-1 FM
          "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Tamoxifen as in Tamoxifen Citrate? Nolvadex?

Comment

Working...
            X