FDA called me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDA called me

Got an email I believe last week from TN, stating that they had to, per the FDA, start putting info on their labels of any type of whey product, that the whey was indeed derived from milk and was a milk product. I laughed at this, cause I truly thought it to be universal knowledge that whey came from milk. Apparently it's no laughing matter, as some people apparently did not know whey was derived from milk, and apparently may have had some issues, or at least the FDA is saying that people COULD have issues, so that's why it has to be added to the label....

So I got a call from the FDA center in Voorhees, NJ today, and they started asking me questions about TN and the email that I got last week. It was stated to me that people who are on the email list get randomly called to indeed see if there had been steps taken by TN.....

I guess the reason I'm posting this is that I just found it odd, that even though just about every protein product has a description on their website, and that description states that whey is derived from milk, that people actually would be surprised that it comes from milk....lol

So for all of you that may not know it, whey protein is derived from milk guys....lol. If you have a milk allergy, I guess you should steer clear, ALTHOUGH, I was under the impression that MOST with milk allergies are actually allergic to lactose, so I'm assuming here that ultra filtered wheys like isolate and hydrolyzed are probably ok to use.....I do have an issues with lactose, and when I drink milk fairly regularly I have alot of issues from gas and bloating, to respiratory ailments....I on the other hand, can even drink whey concentrate, with nothing more than a little bit of gas (little bit is relative I guess, my wife thinks it's alot, lol)....
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

This just in....bacon comes from pigs...apples come from apple trees...and babies come from the stork!
    "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

You are actually mixing lactose intolerance and milk allergy, where people are allergic to something in the milk, usually one of the casein proteins in it. People who are lactose intolerant are just deficient of the enzyme that's required to break down lactose (lactase).

Regarding the phone call, that sounds pretty damn odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
        You are actually mixing lactose intolerance and milk allergy, where people are allergic to something in the milk, usually one of the casein proteins in it. People who are lactose intolerant are just deficient of the enzyme that's required to break down lactose (lactase).

Regarding the phone call, that sounds pretty damn odd.
        I just assumed that most who couldn't drink milk could not due to the lactose.....I was not aware that they broke it down to see what part of milk they were allergic to. In my case it's an assumption that it's the lactose. I've never been tested, I just know that I started having issues with milk products other than whey proteins....
        STEEL

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
          I just assumed that most who couldn't drink milk could not due to the lactose.....I was not aware that they broke it down to see what part of milk they were allergic to. In my case it's an assumption that it's the lactose. I've never been tested, I just know that I started having issues with milk products other than whey proteins....
          If you can't digest lactose, your intolerant, not allergic to it. Instead of possibly having an anaphylactic shock and dying(worst case scenario of course), you just get stomach discomfort and gas. AFAIK you can't be lactose allergic.

Your assumption was correct though, lactose intolerance is way more common than milk allergy.

Comment

Doesn't seem that crazy to me. I bet if you asked 10 people walking down the street today only 2-3 would have a clue what whey was or where it came from.

Not exactly akin to asking where bacon comes from.
            Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
              Doesn't seem that crazy to me. I bet if you asked 10 people walking down the street today only 2-3 would have a clue what whey was or where it came from.

Not exactly akin to asking where bacon comes from.
              The bacon thing is funny cause a few weeks ago my kids asked me where bacon came from. I told them a pig, and my youngest got all upset cause she said her friend has a pot belly pig for a pet. Had to explain that it wasn't from them.....that I know of.....lol
              STEEL

Comment

BIG BROTHER IS KEEPING TABS ON US WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

:tinfoil3:

Hmmm...I wonder if it's because you own a supp shop...I wonder if I'm getting a call.
                Max Muscle
                5020 Katella Ave.
                Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

How the hell did the FDA knew TN sent you an email ?

Kinda reminds me something Steve Pulcinella wrote about in EFS the other day, about how he got an email from the Department of Homeland Security or something like that warning him that they were reading his email exchanges.

Wtf.
                  "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
                    How the hell did the FDA knew TN sent you an email ?

Kinda reminds me something Steve Pulcinella wrote about in EFS the other day, about how he got an email from the Department of Homeland Security or something like that warning him that they were reading his email exchanges.

Wtf.
                    So the FCC won't let me be, or let me be me, so let me see, you try to bring me down on mtv, but it feels so empty without me
                    2010 NPC North Star

Comment

How the hell did the FDA knew TN sent you an email?
                      I'm thinking that TN had to send them a list of people who purchased their whey products....either that, or the gov't is compiling a list of wanna be bb'ers so they can track our every move for some reason. I think they are fearing an uprising from supplement users.....lol
                      STEEL

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                        compiling a list of wanna be bb'ers so they can track our every move for some reason. I think they are fearing an uprising from supplement usersl ol
                        The rise of the bodybuilders has begun.

Lol but I would not be surprised if this was an attempt to monitor "other supplements" as well.
                        "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Macho Man View Post
                          So the FCC won't let me be, or let me be me, so let me see, you try to bring me down on mtv, but it feels so empty without me
                          Now this looks like a job for me, so everybody just follow me ,'cause we need a little controversy, 'cause it feels so empty without me

Comment

Now this looks like a job for me, so everybody just follow me ,'cause we need a little controversy, 'cause it feels so empty without me
                            Word to your mother
                            2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Whey is a milk derivative?? Holy shit!

Also, am I ready for DC?
                              You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Working...
                              X