Carb Cutoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Cutoffs

Does anyone in here NOT use carb cutoofs, meaning in offseason mode, do you eat carbs until bed or even up to your the meal prior to your last? Honestly, in the past and in working with Skip, my carb cutoff has always been at probably no later than 5pm on most days, maybe a bit later if I got a late start. Recently I've been trying alot of different things, and rather than slamming 450-500g of protein, I dropped my protein to a more moderate number and have upped my carbs a bit, but spread out over 5 of my six meals. Fat is not tremendously high but moderate. This has my cutoff at about 8pm, which is kinda late, but it's a smaller carb meal here, and so far I am fine with my look, as there's been nothing negative that I can say about it. I'm still doing no cardio right now but actually gonna add a tiny bit in in another week or two, just for health reasons since I'm old as shit.....

Just curious if anyone does NOT adhere to a carb cutoff, and if not, what are your thoughts on how it has affected you......
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

I train late, so no carb cutoffs here I am a carb glutton PWO and if I feel like I did not get my fill I down a little before hitting the pillow.

I also ate a ton of carb PWO (around 9:00PM) right up until the last week of my show.

I'm not going to outline my whole diet, but I will say that everything around my workout is focused on making me grow. This means LOTS of protein and carbs. It would not be beyond me to eat an enitre box of Apple Cinnamon Chex PWO (300+ grams of carbs).

Sadly, I have been having some GI issues and even this much in one sitting isn't doing anything for me.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I have been eating carbs before bed myself, depending on the day and it didnt seem to have a negative impact on myself.

here is another view from layne norton:

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/ca...ary-boogeyman/

Comment

I don't do a carb cutoff because I work out late. But I keep all my carbs intra and post workout now. I'm also cutting now but if I wasn't I'd just up the carbs post workout.
        Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Like the other parties responding, I don't adhere to carb cutoffs mostly because I work out late. I've been carb-backloading before it was even termed a diet because I like to keep most of my carb intake peri-workout. I usually work out 6-8pm (including driving time), and eat at 9pm. It makes absolutely zero sense for me to have a carb-cutoff time since PWO carbs are more likely to be stored/utilized in the muscle than those taken any other time of the day.

Comment

I didn't use one during prep, nor did I during off-season...
            2005 HOA Natural Classic
            2006 OCB Midwest
            2007 ABA Natural Illinois
            2008 HOA Natural Classic
            NPC Mid-Illinois
            NPC Midwest Open
            NPC Natural Grand Prix
            2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
            USPA Illinois State
            NGA Heart of America
            NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Really, if you train later in the day, you gotta get that fuel!

Plus, it is super easy to prepare a bunch of P/F meals for the day and then have carbs later on. Not like it is difficult to grab a cup of rice either though lol
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I don't do a carb cutoff. I do use a more cyclical approach though. I only eat 3 meals and the 3 days that I lift have a good deal of carbs up until going to bed. The days that I condition have some but not much and will still eat them in that last meal if I want. I too have cut the protein back quite a bit, almost half. The carbs just make me happier and if I want to eat more of them I just up the conditioning days with more activity.
                Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

My Training Log Here at IM

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Comment

Yeah, for those who are talking about training late, I realize that you wanna get your pwo carbs in. I've always done that regardless of my training time. What about days that you DON'T train at night? I train in the morning, and right now I am taking carbs in as late as 8-830pm, with no ill effect (so far, lol)
                  STEEL

Comment

I train at noon. Condition at noon. nom nom nom nom at 2,6 and 9:30 ish. I don't do as well with the carbs in the evening if I eat them before lifting though.
                    Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

My Training Log Here at IM

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Comment

I am embracing the fatness as I cut of carbs before bed... I had a shake last night that was piled full of fruit and oats and peanut butter... The fatness has taken over.
                      2012 Muscle Mayhem Novice Middleweight - 1st
                      2012 Muscle Mayhem Open Middleweight - 1st

2013 Dallas Europa Open Light Heavyweight - 8th

Comment

Usually no carbs past 2pm. If I do have it with dinner it's usually a 1/2 cup of rice with chicken and broccoli. BTW, I am back to training early mornings again (4 am).
                        2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

I experimented with carb backloading and I must say I've never lost so much fat so quickly before. Previously I've done the keto diet, and have also done carb cycling but with the traditional no carbs in the evening.

I have always trained morning time, but this time still just kept all my carbs until about 8pm at night with my dinner, only eating pro/fat during the day even post wo. The fat just dropped off me and I didnt lose any strengh so assume didnt lose any muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnyrunt View Post
                            I experimented with carb backloading and I must say I've never lost so much fat so quickly before. Previously I've done the keto diet, and have also done carb cycling but with the traditional no carbs in the evening.

I have always trained morning time, but this time still just kept all my carbs until about 8pm at night with my dinner, only eating pro/fat during the day even post wo. The fat just dropped off me and I didnt lose any strengh so assume didnt lose any muscle.
                            What were the parameters of your experiment? Fat loss supps, super supps, cardio changes, other dietary changes, etc? Just curious when people say "the fat just dropped off me", as I feel I need more info.....
                            STEEL

Comment

I do the opposite of carb cutoffs. Im pretty much no-carb all day and then have a bunch before bed. I sleep better and am more satisfied. I'm not really trying to do anything other than maintain, which has been going great. I train at 5:30pm and go to bed about 9pm.

Comment

Working...
                              X