Rack Pulls at what point will my back be yoked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack Pulls at what point will my back be yoked

Sup dudes so I'm just wondering generally when is your back gonna be big from some rack pulls. What kind of weight do you have to be repping?

After my back workout

3 sets wide grip pull-ups
    3 sets dumbbell rows
    3 sets Close grip lat pull downs
    2-3 sets rope lat pullover

So i'm pretty pumped at this point

then today for instance I did 365x10 and 405x4 after that on the rack pulls (let bar pause btwn reps).

So I'm just wondering like when does your back get all thick and dense. 500? 600?

this guy has a thick ass back
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSVfTBcv0gE[/YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSVfTBcv0gE

but I use way better form than him. I pull from the kneecaps and pause my reps and don't kyphotically twist my cervical vertebrae like that dude does. But his physique destroys mine (I'm 6ft ~195) and he might even weight less.

also i don't use a belt should i start?

Comment

Originally posted by bmp View Post
      Sup dudes so I'm just wondering generally when is your back gonna be big from some rack pulls. What kind of weight do you have to be repping?

After my back workout

3 sets wide grip pull-ups
      3 sets dumbbell rows
      3 sets Close grip lat pull downs
      2-3 sets rope lat pullover

So i'm pretty pumped at this point

then today for instance I did 365x10 and 405x4 after that on the rack pulls (let bar pause btwn reps).

So I'm just wondering like when does your back get all thick and dense. 500? 600?

this guy has a thick ass back
      [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSVfTBcv0gE[/YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSVfTBcv0gE

but I use way better form than him. I pull from the kneecaps and pause my reps and don't kyphotically twist my cervical vertebrae like that dude does. But his physique destroys mine (I'm 6ft ~195) and he might even weight less.
      Genetics. ....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
      "if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything..."

On board TEAM SKIP

Comment

you're right I guess. But my back genetics are good.

Comment

This is a pretty stupid question, you'll have a thick back when you have it. The video you posted is of a guy who's physique is his livelihood. Anyways, 5 plates for 6 reps or so would be pretty impressive, just keep getting stronger and you're back should improve. Also not a fan of close grip pull downs if you're doin pullovers, somewhat redundant If you break the pattern down. I would put tbars or BB rows instead for another mass builder and lower lat emphasis since that's what seems to e your focus.

Comment

If you do something like 600x20 and 700x10 on rack pulls then your back is bound by the laws of physics, men and gods alike to get huge.

Taking into consideration diet, supps and super supps.
            "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

I think you really hafta look at all aspects of your training, nutrition, and recovery to answer your question.....Like Big Ross said, it'll be big when it's big. Just keep pounding the food and being progressive with your training and the muscle will come. My back is ok thickness wise I think and I've yet to rack dead over 500.....I know I can move that weight, but I'm very careful due to a bad SI joint....I am progressive with weight and reps on this movement, but slowly progressive. Rack deads are very good but so are rows and other thickness movements. Don't put all your eggs in one basket....
              STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

that was a lot of really good advice. i guess it was a stupid question. but i still learned a lot from the comments.

so you guys think I should ditch the close grip lat pull downs (I do these with the V-Bar handle attachment) for another thickness exercise? Like Tbar rows, or chest supported plate rows or something?

I have pretty long arms (my biomechanics are for pulling). I like DB Rows because it lets my arms take what I feel to be a more natural range arc and range of motion. Lets me get a nice stretch. What other thickness exercises are good for people with longer arms?

Comment

You still need pull downs/chins in your training for width. Don't eliminate them, but you can judge which you need more of, thickness or width, and push to bring up what needs to be brought up. If you're tra
                  STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

You have 3 upper back, rhomboid exercises, one lower lat mass builder, and one erector exercise. Depending how you do DB rows that might be upper back as well.
                    Real basic my man, you like volume so lets go like this.
                    A wide pull down or pull up= lat width
                    A pullover or close grip pull down= lat width, full lat contraction
                    2 types of rows, don't do OH BB row and t bar, redundant, do maybe UH row and cable row. Whatever, doesn't really matter much as long as its a different motion and hitting another area of your back.
                    One deadlift, rack or floor or whatever=erectors, whole back mass
                    Hypers= you want a lower back do hypers to and see what happens.

That's a lot of volume but you're not too advanced and you're probably not that high with your intensity so it'll be ok. Once you start being able to only need one exercise filter out the fluff and rotate.
                    This is a basic process you should be doing for every muscle. Just looking at your program you're going to have a hard time getting a thick back with what you're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
                      This is a pretty stupid question, you'll have a thick back when you have it.
                      I don't think the question was really a stupid one (but see below).

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
                      If you do something like 600x20 and 700x10 on rack pulls then your back is bound by the laws of physics, men and gods alike to get huge.

Taking into consideration diet, supps and super supps.
                      I think this fits moreso, for most folks (See below).

Originally posted by bmp View Post
                      that was a lot of really good advice. i guess it was a stupid question. but i still learned a lot from the comments.
                      I disagree with the underlined...

I think there are certain exceptions, but as Dante has noted on various occasions, if you can make yourself into one hell of a strong ass-mofo on basics like squats, presses, deads, etc. and at the same time make sure these exercises are targetting the intended muscles (what he calls putting yourself in the perfect mechanical position here: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=47643) then you're gonna have some muscle to show for it (given you're growing overall).

Sure, some guys can have great chests and not be super strong pressers (this fits with your comment Big Ross about it happens when it happens), but at the same time, a guy who can rack pull 3x BW, who has also been eating and supplementing, and TRAINING for size will have a back that shows that.

Powerlifters who don't give a damn about muscle size (at least as far as meet performance), so they're a good exception to the "rule" that strength = size (in some cases, but not all). They're interested in Strength relative to body weight (wt. class) b/c they actually want to use as MUCH muscle as possible to move the weight, rather than make an exercise a focused stressor for muscle hypertrophy. Sure, many will end up yoked, of course, but for a guy in a limited weight class, the less he weighs and the more he can lift, i.e., using all the muscle he (or she) has, the better he'll do. (Some of this is also a matter of being lean, too, of course, but the point holds water, I do believe.) A PL'er isn't trying to used deads or rack deads to bring up his back. He's gonna use as much muscle from toe to trap to move the weight, as efficiently as possible.

So, BMP, make yourself LARGE (eat, etc.) and get strong using the exercises that work for you (or make them work) and you've got a good recipe, IMO. Spend years at the same BW, getting stronger at rack deads and you'll not have the as much muscle to show for it as if you were to structure your diet (EAT!) to focus on putting on the lean tissue as well.

-S
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

I really admire scotts patience and willingness to help ANYBODY, without giving trite or cookie cutter answers. You remind me if Carl Rogers and that's pretty much the biggest compliment I can give....
                        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                        17 AAU Super Total
                        '16-AAU Hi
                        '15-USPA Metro
                        '15-USPA State
                        '15-AAU HI
                        '14-AAU HI
                        '14-USPA Metro
                        '14-WABDL Sonny's
                        '14-USPA State
                        '14-HI Strongman
                        '13-USPA
                        '13-WABDL Sonny's
                        '13-USPA State
                        '13-AAU HI
                        '11-USPA Metro
                        '10-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-NPC Islands
                        '09-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA IronWorks
                        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                        '01-ABA Olympia
                        '01-ABA Islands
                        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                        '00-INBF Musclefest
                        '98-NGA Ill
                        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                          I really admire scotts patience and willingness to help ANYBODY, without giving trite or cookie cutter answers. You remind me if Carl Rogers and that's pretty much the biggest compliment I can give....
                          Holy Shit! Wow. Thank you for that, TC. I believe I understand the magnitude of that compliment and can only say that I do do my best to help out with the tools I have.

-S
                          The Book Has Arrived!
                          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Scott-

the graduate program i attended was founded by Alexy Shukin who was Carl Rogers research assistant in the late 50's early 60's in Chicago. Watched a bazillion videos of Rogers doing his thing and he was pretty amazing. The guy could relate to ANYONE and took everybody seriously....

SORRY for the sidetrack---return to the BACK BLASTING!
                            '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                            17 AAU Super Total
                            '16-AAU Hi
                            '15-USPA Metro
                            '15-USPA State
                            '15-AAU HI
                            '14-AAU HI
                            '14-USPA Metro
                            '14-WABDL Sonny's
                            '14-USPA State
                            '14-HI Strongman
                            '13-USPA
                            '13-WABDL Sonny's
                            '13-USPA State
                            '13-AAU HI
                            '11-USPA Metro
                            '10-NPC Stingrey
                            '09-NPC Islands
                            '09-NPC Stingrey
                            '09-ABA Islands
                            '02-ABA Islands
                            '02-ABA IronWorks
                            '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                            '01-ABA Olympia
                            '01-ABA Islands
                            '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                            '00-INBF Musclefest
                            '98-NGA Ill
                            '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

just a little bump. amazing advice all around esp from homonunculus.

The little bit about finding one's own perfect mechanical advantage really resounded with me. For instance, I have long arms, so I tend to take a wider grip on pull-ups, but what most people don't realize is that despite my wider grip my forearm makes the same angle with my humerus (upper arm) at peak contraction as most other people doing pull-ups since I just have longer arms overall. So really my wide grip pull-ups are more like "slightly wide grip pull-ups for someone with normal length arms".

----------

didn't see this thread till now so I ended up doing the same back workout as before but hit PR's on pretty much every exercise

rest 2 min between sets except on rack pulls i took as much time as i needed

BW 195.8

Wide Grip Pullups, perfect form, stretch at bottom

10xBW, 10xBW, 9xBW

DB "dead stop" Row, perfect form, stretch at bottom, straps
                              10x90, 10x90, 10x90

Close Grip Pulldowns, perfect form, stretch at bottom
                              8x160, 8x160, 6x160 (started to gas out here)

Rope Attachment Kneeling Pullovers, perfect form, stretch at bottom
                              10x90, 10x90, 10x90

Rackpulls
                              pyramid up to a set of 5x405. deadstop reps

Standing Hammer Curls, perfect form, straight set
                              8x45

Overall, a pretty good session. Managed to get 405 for another rep but not really counting that as a PR because I didn't do a working set of 365 beforehand like last week, just a warmup of one rep. Hit a set of hammer curls for shits and giggles since my arms were fatigued anyway.

-------------

Anybody else hit PR's today? That always puts me in a good mood, especially when I'm dieting
                              Last edited by bmp; 09-27-2012, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X