For the older lifters....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the older lifters....

I've been lifting for over 20 years (I'm 36), used to compete in bodybuilding, and quite frankly, lifting is now hurting me - not that good hurt like the good old days of 20 rep squats, more along the lines of joint pain that makes lifting somewhat discouraging and demotivating.

I've done all the classic things like upping the rep ranges, cycling the weights, deloading, etc. But, now that I can't push myself like I used to, lifting is losing that special flair it used to have.

To the board: any of the older guys have a system they like a lot that's fun, challenging, not harsh on the joints, and retains some of the muscle that they spent years building? Just looking for new ideas...

Go read through Skip's blog on this site, his training protocol is pretty joint and body friendly.

Comment

I'm 50 and I've actually gone to lifting everyday. One squat, one pull and one press, and I go as heavy as I can for that day. I know it's counterintuitive, but really seems to help.

Comment

46 and everything always hurts

I just try not to do anything that hurts! I have incorp more GPP work in when I can during the week just lite tri sets of going thu motion stuff such as battle ropes, banded hi pulls, clean and presses light weight seems to keep me mobile
        If your not ripping a tendon your not working the muscle to its fullest capacity!

I just kinda feel if the weight wasn't so heavy, I could lift it:
        :bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna
        Living for the INSULIN SPIKE!

Comment

John meadows training is supposedly very joint friendly

Comment

I think most higher volume protocols are more "joint friendly". I know my protocol is not only joint friendly due to rep ranges and higher volume but also the variety of exercises I try to get, as well.

Not sure about John's protocol because I am just not well-informed about his plan. I do hear he eats babies so you gotta watch out for this guy but you didn't hear that from me.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
            Instagram: @intensemuscle
            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Have you watched Skip's Longevity DVD?

Comment

48 here and I've been training for over 30 yrs now. Sure thing hurt but I think that’s more of a combination of both the gym and my job. DC seems to work well for me although, as I get towards the end of a cycle and the weight starts to get heavy (for me) I find the aches and pains become a little more noticeable.
                "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
                2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
                2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
                2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
                2002 NPC Western Carolina:
                2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

48 with 30+ years of training also, find more often than not that joint discomfort more than muscle pump(lactic acid) stops my sets. Getting old sucks, but the alternative is worse.

Comment

I am almost 30 and for me what helps is taking off a day when I feel off.

And making sure to take a week off every 3 months or so.

I also do not do singles or triples any more on squats /deads bench.

I also spend 20 minutes to warm up and stretch daily.

When I can I go to chiro /art and get deep tissue massages.

Hope all is well OP
                    [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
                    Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Originally posted by Un-Human View Post
                      I've been lifting for over 20 years (I'm 36), used to compete in bodybuilding, and quite frankly, lifting is now hurting me - not that good hurt like the good old days of 20 rep squats, more along the lines of joint pain that makes lifting somewhat discouraging and demotivating.

I've done all the classic things like upping the rep ranges, cycling the weights, deloading, etc. But, now that I can't push myself like I used to, lifting is losing that special flair it used to have.

To the board: any of the older guys have a system they like a lot that's fun, challenging, not harsh on the joints, and retains some of the muscle that they spent years building? Just looking for new ideas...

45 and only knees get sore after legs. Make sure you are getting plenty of fish oil each day and glucosamine , training DC btw .

Also use the search, there its an excellent thread by dante on lifting, rep ranges etc for the older lifters .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
                      "if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything..."

On board TEAM SKIP

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I've always followed a fairly low volume, HIT type workout, but my body really seems to be rejecting that way of working out. For years, if I wanted to achieve a goal - any type of goal - I'd force or will it to happen. However, now that approach is not working, so I have to believe that there might be a better solution.

Skip's comment about volume training is interesting - I might explore that just to see where it takes me.

Comment

Originally posted by proplanner View Post
                          45 and only knees get sore after legs. Make sure you are getting plenty of fish oil each day and glucosamine , training DC btw .

Also use the search, there its an excellent thread by dante on lifting, rep ranges etc for the older lifters .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
                          Great call on the fish oil and glucosamine. I'm going to look into that...

Comment

Bands

Comment

Youtube has a lot of good videos related to joint exercises.

Comment

Working...
                              X