Blood Pressure - Differences Between Right & Left Arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Pressure - Differences Between Right & Left Arm

So I've been using those blood pressure monitors that they have at pharmacies and was getting consistently high readings every single time. I feel that I'm fairly healthy so it was getting my concerned.

However, upon reading the the 'fine print' on the machine - it says that it is made for the standard adult arm of 13 inches and that if your arm is larger than that then readings may not be accurate. (Another thing to note is that the cuff is only located on the left side).

So, I decided to order my own at-home monitor with a large cuff. It just came today and I decided to run through some tests, and what I found was interesting.

Within about a 15 minute time frame I ran through four tests for both my right and left arm; here are my readings:

1st) L: 140/69 R:110/67
    2nd) L: 125/80 R:125/79
    3rd) L: 142/82 R: 136/73
    4th) L: 142/94 R: 125/69

So, on average, consistently high readings on my left arm and relatively normal on my right.

Decided to investigate why and came across this article:
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/d...e-201202014174

While this does indicate that this could be a symptom of peripheral artery disease, I don't think that this is the case with me. The reason is:

I also have ulnar nerve impingement issues in my left arm which causes frequent loss of feeling in the outside of my hand (especially the pinky & ring finger). Deep tissue massage helps, and even sometimes temporarily alleviates this. My massage therapist says that it's related to tightness and impingement from my pectorals and triceps.

And this supports the other cause cited in the article:
    "In younger people, side-to-side differences in blood pressure can occur when a muscle or something else compresses an artery supplying the arm, or by a structural problem that prevents smooth blood flow through an artery."

Anyway, just found this interesting and thought that I'd share.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
    2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
    2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
    2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Machine's are notoriously innaccurate when it comes to BP. Your right are is slightly closer to your heart which is why BP is typically taken on your right arm. Those are not high readings by the way. 120/80 is absolutly perfect blood pressure on paper, however 140/90 range isn't really considered high. Also, were you sitting or standing while taking the Blood pressure's? could you have taken 1 standing and then 1 sitting. This may not sound like much but it does have an effect on the accuracy of the test.

Comment

Originally posted by rhoads View Post
      Machine's are notoriously innaccurate when it comes to BP. Your right are is slightly closer to your heart which is why BP is typically taken on your right arm. Those are not high readings by the way. 120/80 is absolutly perfect blood pressure on paper, however 140/90 range isn't really considered high. Also, were you sitting or standing while taking the Blood pressure's? could you have taken 1 standing and then 1 sitting. This may not sound like much but it does have an effect on the accuracy of the test.
      All were sitting and in the same position. Last time I went to the doctor the reading he got was 140/90, and he was alarmed. However, I had allergies at the time and had taken Allegra-D (which contains pseudoephedrine) as well as had a cup of coffee within an hour or two prior to my appointment.

I have had no caffeine or any other stimulant today.

2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Can I have your blood pressure? I'm 23, and mine has read as high as 170/98
        My log: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=47064

Comment

Oh and BTW, in case anybody is wondering, the monitor I'm using is the Omron BP760.

Comment

Originally posted by PBRevolution View Post
            Can I have your blood pressure? I'm 23, and mine has read as high as 170/98
            Wow! That seems pretty high to me. Your dr concerned or offered anything to reduce it. Any idea why it is so high?

Mine is usually 110-115/60-65.
            2005 HOA Natural Classic
            2006 OCB Midwest
            2007 ABA Natural Illinois
            2008 HOA Natural Classic
            NPC Mid-Illinois
            NPC Midwest Open
            NPC Natural Grand Prix
            2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
            USPA Illinois State
            NGA Heart of America
            NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Working...
            X