Which Resistance Bands???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Resistance Bands???

I'm looking to switch things up and incorporate some speed and explosiveness into my routine and want to add in some band work into my routine. My rough 1RM levels right now are ~275 lbs on the bench, ~365 on squats and ~450 on deads.

Any suggestions on which level and which brand of bands I should buy? I'm not looking to spend a ton but I want some bands that will work properly and last a while. APT seems to have a solid reputation; would level 2 or 3 bands be sufficient for my strength level?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

good timing, I was shopping for these as well. I am looking at the ones that elite fts has.

check out this article from Louie Simmons Chains and Bands has good info on selection

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyJohnson View Post
      good timing, I was shopping for these as well. I am looking at the ones that elite fts has.

check out this article from Louie Simmons Chains and Bands has good info on selection
      Good link.
      You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT buy from APT. They are complete garbage now.
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

I have 1 set from elitefts and another from ironwoody.

I am really happy with both.
          [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
          Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

funny, I just ordered some today from Rubberbanditz. I got the heavy and robust bands. I'm using them for mobility work though. I'll let you guys know how I like them. Anyone have experience with this brand?

Comment

Bands on EFS are pretty cheap. Wait until you can catch free shipping, I have a feeling it will happen tomorrow.

It looks like the Rubberbanditz site has free shipping as well. Regardless, bands are bands. Just big pieces of rubber latex. I would be willing to wager they are all made by the same company and then just branded for the distributor.

Anyways, do you have a way to set up bands? If not, then you will have to rig them up. This can be tricky.

Anyways, by EFS nomenclature, I would suggest getting a pair of Minis for benching, Monster Minis for squatting and short Minis for deadlifting. So if you can get free shipping, you are looking at around $45 for the three pairs. Also, the Mini & Monster Mini will also double as great options for band pull aparts, stretching, etc...

A quick glimpse into my rationale: I take your 1RM and find 60% of it. This is a good rough estimate for dynamic work. Then use 25% of the bar weight (60%) for over load purposes at the top end. I have no idea how tall you are or what your various lift strokes are, so I threw out some rough guesses.
              Last edited by JohnCaesar; 09-18-2012, 11:10 PM. Reason: Diarrhea of the mouth
              FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
              If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Incidentally, the ISOM Sponsor Serious Steel sells very reasonably priced bands as well, and IM.com members get a discount.

www.serioussteel.com
                You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCaesar View Post
                  Bands on EFS are pretty cheap. Wait until you can catch free shipping, I have a feeling it will happen tomorrow.

It looks like the Rubberbanditz site has free shipping as well. Regardless, bands are bands. Just big pieces of rubber latex. I would be willing to wager they are all made by the same company and then just branded for the distributor.

Anyways, do you have a way to set up bands? If not, then you will have to rig them up. This can be tricky.

Anyways, by EFS nomenclature, I would suggest getting a pair of Minis for benching, Monster Minis for squatting and short Minis for deadlifting. So if you can get free shipping, you are looking at around $45 for the three pairs. Also, the Mini & Monster Mini will also double as great options for band pull aparts, stretching, etc...

A quick glimpse into my rationale: I take your 1RM and find 60% of it. This is a good rough estimate for dynamic work. Then use 25% of the bar weight (60%) for over load purposes at the top end. I have no idea how tall you are or what your various lift strokes are, so I threw out some rough guesses.
                  Excellent fucking post! I'm not really in the know when it comes to this type of training, so thanks for being thorough with the terminology.

My gym is pretty stacked and has a solid power rack and benches with a pretty low base that can accommodate bands, so I think I'm good with that. It'll probably take some time to learn how to best rig the stuff but it seems pretty straight forward from what I've seen online in the quick research I've done.

As far as the poundages, 50-60% 1RM seems to be standard, so I plan on going ahead with that for doubles and triples with squats and speed deads, for the most part, and slightly higher reps on benching.

If it matters, I'm 5"8, but that probably doesn't change very much. I'm finishing up writing up my routine and I'll post that up soon to see what people think of this. I'm pretty excited to see how I respond to this type of training, I've gotten bored of what I've done the last few years and wanna get more athletic and explosive.

Thanks for your and everyone else's help.

Isaac
                  Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Serious Steel, Our current sponsor for ISOM has some great bands and are offering our members a discount. Use discount code IMC10 and get 10%.

By the way I'm not just promoting them because they are our sponsor. I have been getting equipment from them since I was 15 years old. In other words a long long time. This are a family owned local business and will help you any way they can.

http://www.serioussteel.com/
                    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

By the way I would get a pair of the #0 mini power, #1 Mini Power, and #3 Medium Power would be a great starting point.

In my current training we use the Mini power for rear delt work, and some side delt work.

The Mini Power and the Medium Power I am cycling through my training on Leg Press and Bench. Here is how the Leg Press cycle looks:

Weeks 1-3 No Bands
                      Weeks 4-5 Mini Power Bands Do sets of 8 until I can't get 8
                      Weeks 6-7 Medium Power Bands Do sets of 8 until I can't get 8
                      Weeks 8-9 Mini and Medium Bands Do sets of 8 until I can't get 8

Truenutrition.com
                      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Every once in a while Elite will put this package on sale. When I bought mine I think it was 99$ free shipping.
                        http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=114&pid=566
                        Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

My Training Log Here at IM

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Comment

Originally posted by mateus View Post
                          Every once in a while Elite will put this package on sale. When I bought mine I think it was 99$ free shipping.
                          http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=114&pid=566
                          Not to be rude, but two of us just mentioned Serious Steel is sponsoring the ISOM and are giving away 4 sets of bands. If we want to keep sponsorships, and free products coming to our members we need to support them. Otherwise I won't put the work into it. Sorry to come off gruff, but I put a lot of my time into this.

Truenutrition.com
                          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Are those Serious Steel one's the same as the jump-stretch. If so, from what I read in a post from John Meadows, they're the real deal.

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                              Not to be rude, but two of us just mentioned Serious Steel is sponsoring the ISOM and are giving away 4 sets of bands. If we want to keep sponsorships, and free products coming to our members we need to support them. Otherwise I won't put the work into it. Sorry to come off gruff, but I put a lot of my time into this.
                              I think if there pricing was more competitive it would help.

Comment

Working...
                              X