Blood work shocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood work shocker

Hey all, got my blood work done yesterday and got a call from the doctor later in the day. His nurse called and had concerns with cholesterol and Test levels (both high). I am sorry I don't have the numbers back yet, but thought I would see if some other folks had similar results in similar situations. Details: I am 43, lifetime natty, and the last time I had blood work was '05. (My cholesterol was 193 then and Total Test was 560 -both in normal range). This time my Cholesterol was 240 and Total Test was 990! Currently I am in prep and 7 weeks out from a show. I have been going very low carb for 6 days and then a Skipload/refeed on day 7. I expected my Cholesterol to actually be lower due to the low carb/ low cal diet and I am down about 32 pounds in BW. As for the Test levels, I obviously wasn't too upset about that, but as we all know Test levels vary and surge greatly throughout the day and I was tested at 8:00 AM fasted, so if I was re-tested later in the day I could be around 600 again. I have run Tribulus and DAA in the past, but have been off DAA for at least 3-4 months due to the high estrogen it was also producing in me. Sorry for the rambling, and I don't really have a specific question, but more just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or ideas as to why the high cholesterol levels. I thought both cholesterol and test would be low due to the prep...just the opposite. I will have more details once I get all the specifics back, and I am not freaking out over one test as I would like to test again once the prep is done and my body goes back to a more "normal" state.But the word LIPITOR got my attention!!
    Thanks for your ideas and thoughts...
    "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Even though your diet is low carb, are a lot of your fats from animal sources?

That test level being that high is very odd. I dont understand that, at all, at this point in your prep. Sure they didnt mix your blood up with someone else's? Lol

Skip

Sent from Skip's Galaxy Note

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

No shit, that is what I was thinking.. I was searching for a 3rd testicle or something! Again, I will know more when I have the actual report in my hand and can read it. My diet is pretty easy, chicken, or pork and protein shakes for protein, and broccoli, green beans and apples for carbs. Almonds (a handful in the morning) and natural peanut butter are really only fat sources other than the meat (currently in two meals a day). So typical day looks like this:
      Fasted LISS cardio with Yohimbine in morning upon waking
      1st meal - Protein shake with handful almonds
      2nd meal - chicken thigh with broccoli
      3rd meal - same as meal 2
      Pre-workout/Intra shake - BCAA's and some Fruit punch, creatine, and Beta alanine
      Lift/ HIIT cardio
      Post workout -same as pre-intra
      3-4 eggs with ketchup, or small amount of chicken or pork again.

It's not like I am eating 24 oz ribeyes every day or something.. .I am puzzled.
      And as far as the Test level, I was pleasantly surprised, but still skeptical. I ran DAA for 8 weeks straight about 3-4 months ago, but does it actually work that well for a natty's test, and would the effects last for months after taking it? Again, I don't know what FREE test is, or estrogen levels, and as I said, if I tested again at like 2 PM, I could be in the 4-500's? Anyway thanks for the reply Skip.
      P.S. - Sorry I missed you in Sturgis brother...next year I will definitely catch up with you if you go! I had a blast... oh, and I did eat 24 oz. Ribeyes all week there!! Shit, maybe I just found the issue... LOL.

Comment

Ask them to do another draw.
        -KidRok-
        "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
        5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

In most people dietary cholesterol does not equal blood cholesterol. If your doctor tells you to reduce cholesterol rich foods in your diet to lower your blood cholesterol then I would suggest finding a new doctor.

I doubt in most people cholesterol levels really mean much at all. A large increase could indicate some inflammation going on-and I would recommend reducing sugars and polyunsatuarated fats and increasing B-vitamins, and using a good antioxidant like alpha lipoic acid in addition to high dose vitamin c.

Eggs are a great food but only if they are hard boiled in my opinion. Cooking them in high heat with oxygen present (like frying them) could increase homocysteine levels which equals inflammation.

Certain B vitamins reduce homo-c levels via different pathways- vitamin b 4, b6, and b 12 do the trick. Don't supplement individually, take a good complex b and you will be in good shape.

Our liver produces cholesterol-it is vital for immune function and cell membranes and hormone production-among many other things. Our body uses cholesterol to prevent vascular damage and heart disease.
          [email protected] http://www.proactivehealthnet.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
          Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Comment

SS
            I agree with you about cholesterol. I admit I am reaching here because it just doesnt seem to add up.

Skip

Sent from Skip's Galaxy Note

Facebook: Skip Hill
            Instagram: @intensemuscle
            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

SS and Skip,
              Thanks for the responses. I guess I should have included my vitamin/supplement intake as well:
              I take a multi-vitamin, extra C (about 2000mg a day), fish oil twice a day, and Glucosimine/MSM twice a day, Vitamin D3, and Milk Thistle, and some pro-biotics/ digestive enzymes. I was taking a B complex but recently stopped, I will add it in again. I do have a huge intake of sugars/ carbs on my skipload day, other than that, pretty much only a few grams of simple carbs bracketing my workout. I also agree on the dietary cholesterol vs. heredity. I am asking my parents if there is high cholesterol in our family history... thanks again.

Comment

I don't think the occasional high sugar days will cause any harm....are you sure the fish oil is a quality product? to ascertain that it has adequate EPA levels put a toothpick in one of the caps and put it in the freezer for 5 or 6 hours. Then take it out of the freezer and pull out the toothpick. If it comes out easily then the product has adequate EPA (it is the hormone that prevents fish from freezing in cold water) if it is a little difficult to remove then the product is lacking.

Even then you won't be able to tell if the product is the 'sewer of the sea'.

For the record, I'm not sold on the fish oil claims. Yes it has been shown to be beneficial in cases of extreme injury and circumstances, but in general I think the jury is still out.
                [email protected] http://www.proactivehealthnet.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
                Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Comment

MaxNat,
                  What does the breakdown of CHOL levels look like? HDL, LDL, VLDL, TRIG? I have seen a few cases where a person has an such a high HDL level that even with a higher total than the one you have, it was not a concern because the TOTAL/HDL ratio was in a great range.
                  FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
                  If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Update:
                    Thanks for the replies all. Here are the details I finally received from the doctor:
                    Cholesterol= 241. Range 140-199 mg/dL
                    HDL= 63. Range >=41 mg/dL
                    LDL= 166. No Range
                    VLDL= 12. Range 0-30 mg/dL
                    Triglyceride= 58. Range 0-149 mg/dL

Testosterone = 993. Range 132-813 ng/dL
                    All other things are in check and right in range. All comments are welcome.
                    Thanks,
                    MaxNat.

Comment

Maybe we are seeing a correlation between increased cholesterol and increased production of test since testosterone is made from cholesterol? Cholesterol is the beginning of the hormone cascade... maybe other hormones are elevated as well. Just thinking out loud here... could it be possible?

Comment

Working...
                      X