Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the goodness of fruit

Hi there

How many of you incorporate fresh fruit into your everyday diets?

it seems to me that alot of bodybuilders don't include fruit (or very little of) in their diet, and i am not exactly sure of the reasoning behind this.

I am current in a mass gain phase, and i love nothing more than having a piece of fruit after a meal (especially apples!). I have around 2-3 apples + a pear every day.

'Not only is it an easy way for me to add calories, but more importantly it satisfies my sweet tooth (it feels like im eating candy, but im not) plus i get all the benefits that fruit provides!

I eat fruit everyday. Even in my prep I had incorporated strawberries into two of my carb meals almost daily.....I used them as an add on to my oats to hit my total macros....

I live in south Jersey and there is so much fresh fruit here from local farms and orchards in the summer it's just silly. I can't see ever giving that all up, regardless of my goals....lol
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I think one of the reasons some body builders don't eat fruit is due to the high levels of fructose in it. Which isn't the best sugar for glycogen replenishment. Or at least this Is what I read on an article by John meadows, where he recommends max 30g of a fructose a day. And I've also read that all the vitamins and minerals and general goodness in fruits can be obtained from vegetables.
      However I love fruit, so half of my carb intake is sometimes in fruit. mangos are one of the best things evolution ever came up with.

Comment

I understand peoples' reasons for not wanting to eat fruit when on a BBing diet. But I can't get past the nagging suspicion that since we, as a species, evolved eating fruits and other foods we got from foraging, that giving fruit up completely can't be all that wise. Nature is smarter than we are, and we usually end up screwing ourselves when we try to outsmart Her.

But that's hardly a justified position, it's just a hunch I have.
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

I limit fruit to two servings a day for myself because of the fructose. I'm anal though.
          :preach:

Comment

I eat fruit in the offseason and in prep. I am with Sammich, if our ancestors hunted, gathered and lived off of fruits and berries, it must have some place in our diet. I got pretty lean last prep on chicken, broccoli and apples. Yeah, I know..only liver glycogen replenishment and yada yada yada, but sometimes I think we tend to over-think things and end up stressing out over a fricken apple or banana... my 2 cents. Plus I saw an interview with Ronnie Coleman who said he eats fruit everyday even in his prep due to the nutrients they provide... I wanna be like Ron! LOL.
            "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

I eat it, no biggie in my book. This may sound silly but I once ate nothing but fruit for 6 months. After an initial period of a few weeks adjustment it was not hard. I Lost some size and could not go as heavy but I could train, run, work outsiide doing construction etc all day without getting tired.
              "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
              Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
              'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
              ~William Bernbach

Comment

Originally posted by SAHD View Post
                I eat it, no biggie in my book. This may sound silly but I once ate nothing but fruit for 6 months. After an initial period of a few weeks adjustment it was not hard. I Lost some size and could not go as heavy but I could train, run, work outsiide doing construction etc all day without getting tired.
                You literally only ate fruit? That's pretty crazy. Did you feel any health benefits or negatives? What was the reason you did it? I'm just very curious.

Comment

My mother has a medical condition that caused her to go blind. This has happened several times to her as it is genetic. She takes regular medication but also went to a natural clinic that has had a lot of success with frutarian diets and her condition.

On this occassion she had been blind for 6 months and would try anything. She said that the one thing she needed was someone to do it with her. I volunteered.

After a few days it was no longer fun. Then the eating got easier but I dropped weight fast and felt shit, a small amount of hair fell out and my finger nails got brittle for a while. Obviously at the beginning you can shit through the eye of a needle too.

After a few weeks everyhting goes back to normal. I should mention that I actually ate natural honey also. But otherwise that was it.

My mum got her vision back again and maintains a very healthy lifestyle. This was in anbout 1995 I would say and she has never had a problem since.

The whole thing let me with the belief that 90% of mans illness, if not even more, is diet related or diet triggered. I have several times returned to an all fruit diet except night time or maybe all fruit except night plus some WPI shakes whenever I'm not interested in weights.

I am lucky anyway in that I grow some of my food, have my own chooks and can hunt/fish so it isn't such a huge stretch for me, conceptually, to just say I'm only going to eat this or that for a few months to a year or so.

Note: It will hurt your gains.
                  Buck Brannaman.

'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                  ~William Bernbach

Comment

Originally posted by SAHD View Post
                    My mother has a medical condition that caused her to go blind. This has happened several times to her as it is genetic. She takes regular medication but also went to a natural clinic that has had a lot of success with frutarian diets and her condition.

On this occassion she had been blind for 6 months and would try anything. She said that the one thing she needed was someone to do it with her. I volunteered.

After a few days it was no longer fun. Then the eating got easier but I dropped weight fast and felt shit, a small amount of hair fell out and my finger nails got brittle for a while. Obviously at the beginning you can shit through the eye of a needle too.

After a few weeks everyhting goes back to normal. I should mention that I actually ate natural honey also. But otherwise that was it.

My mum got her vision back again and maintains a very healthy lifestyle. This was in anbout 1995 I would say and she has never had a problem since.

The whole thing let me with the belief that 90% of mans illness, if not even more, is diet related or diet triggered. I have several times returned to an all fruit diet except night time or maybe all fruit except night plus some WPI shakes whenever I'm not interested in weights.

I am lucky anyway in that I grow some of my food, have my own chooks and can hunt/fish so it isn't such a huge stretch for me, conceptually, to just say I'm only going to eat this or that for a few months to a year or so.

Note: It will hurt your gains.
                    Interesting story, and glad she is ok now!
                    PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

That's a cool story. You're a very good son for doing that. Idk if I could.

Comment

I find if I want to lose weight, run a long distance race, study harder etc and it is all on me to succeed then I can often let myself down to some degree. If I commit to someone else then it is set in stone and very easily accomplished.
                        Buck Brannaman.

'Hanging' Judge PARKER

~William Bernbach

Comment

Double post
                          Last edited by SAHD; 09-06-2012, 03:22 AM.
                          Buck Brannaman.

'Hanging' Judge PARKER

~William Bernbach

Comment

Great story SAHD, glad your mum's okay. Props to you.
                            Save 5% at www.truenutrition.com with the Discount Code TEI736!

Comment

I rarely eat fruit but that's more because I just don't like most fruits.
                              -KidRok-
                              "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                              5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Working...
                              X