Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No such thing as overtraining?? Layne Norton.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No such thing as overtraining?? Layne Norton.

What do you all think about this video from Layne Norton saying that overtraining is not a bad thing. He states there is 0 data that training a muscle too often, or with too much volume causes a catabolic response.

He also states HIT training, low volume training, is the fastest way to under train the muscular system and overtrain the nervous system.

http://www.biolayne.com/uncategorize...-overtraining/

Any thoughts?

I've trained DC for about 3 years with great increases in strength and this is the polar opposite of my recent philosophy.

Originally posted by Getnbigger View Post
    I've trained DC for about 3 years with great increases in strength and this is the polar opposite of my recent philosophy.
    Isn't that basically the answer? Doesn't really matter what Layne Norton thinks. If you're making gains and you're happy with what you're doing, you are doing it right, IMO.

I'm no expert, but I think overtraining-phobia is a little ridiculous, and I think that's probably what he is addressing. It is unlikely that if you are listening to your body and not ignoring warning signs, that you are going to overtrain (most of the time). A couple examples: sprinters have excellent quads/hams/calves, gymnasts are very muscular despite training full body basically daily. They are hitting those muscles hard, daily and still making gains.

On the other hand, saying overtraining "doesn't exist" would be too much of an overgeneralization. If you do an intense 2 hour leg workout daily for a year, you aren't going to make gains. But that goes back to being smart about it and listening to your body. After a couple days, you're gonna see strength start to tank, which is a sign that you should back off.

Comment

I do think you can over train but do agree that HIT will do exactly what you wrote above. DC is no HIT program to me.

I did strict HIT for at least 18months and got stronger and stronger but my recovery took longer and longer meaning up to 10 days between workouts.

I would advise on HIT for a few individuals but not most.

Again just to be sure about this I don't think DC is even close to HIT in style or execution.
      "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
      Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
      'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
      ~William Bernbach

Comment

I could train everyday if I want. (not same BP I give them 48/72 hrs at least to recover. I feel no problems killing it as often as I can

Comment

Define overtraining. On DC I get stronger every workout but don't see much size increase.
          When I switch to the old 3 on 1 off push/pull/legs routine I gain very quick size but strength increase haults. Am I over training on 3/1, under training on DC ?? I think the answer it find what works for you. I know for me I tend to need slightly more frequency to see gains, some people love once a week, don't think anyone is really wrong. I just don't like it when guys say their way Is the only way

Comment

Originally posted by SAHD View Post

Again just to be sure about this I don't think DC is even close to HIT in style or execution.
            I agree with you....:whisper:
            SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by wildman536 View Post
              I could train everyday if I want. (not same BP I give them 48/72 hrs at least to recover. I feel no problems killing it as often as I can
              So are you saying you can train everyday or not? I'm confused? I know preparing for my meet, three heavy days a week with moderate volume and by the fourth week I'm ready for a deload, I'd love to get results with minimal time invested because there are much more fun things to do then hang out in a gym.
              For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Originally posted by youngbb View Post
                Isn't that basically the answer? Doesn't really matter what Layne Norton thinks. If you're making gains and you're happy with what you're doing, you are doing it right, IMO.

I'm no expert, but I think overtraining-phobia is a little ridiculous, and I think that's probably what he is addressing. It is unlikely that if you are listening to your body and not ignoring warning signs, that you are going to overtrain (most of the time). A couple examples: sprinters have excellent quads/hams/calves, gymnasts are very muscular despite training full body basically daily. They are hitting those muscles hard, daily and still making gains.

On the other hand, saying overtraining "doesn't exist" would be too much of an overgeneralization. If you do an intense 2 hour leg workout daily for a year, you aren't going to make gains. But that goes back to being smart about it and listening to your body. After a couple days, you're gonna see strength start to tank, which is a sign that you should back off.
                Define making gains?? I would say most gymnasts say the same size despite training every day which would indicate they are indeed over training. At the sane time they seem to keep strength so is Cns burnout a myth??jar playing devils advocate

Comment

Originally posted by MachMood View Post
                  Define making gains?? I would say most gymnasts say the same size despite training every day which would indicate they are indeed over training. At the sane time they seem to keep strength so is Cns burnout a myth??jar playing devils advocate
                  My assumption is that they grew to that size from doing gymnastics workouts or at least while they were gymnasts. Keep in mind, after a certain point, more mass would be detrimental, not beneficial, so they may intentionally stop gaining mass.

Comment

Yea gymnasts are known for having big arms. Lol wish I had the problem of adding to much mass

Comment

He is a great guy in my opinion.
                      Last edited by Dorian32; 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Maybe they purposely restrict their diet to prevent further mass gain? They are gymnasts, not bodybuilders, they need to keep their BW low. You think Ronnie Coleman has the ideal physique for gymnastics?
                        My log: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=47064

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
                          So are you saying you can train everyday or not? I'm confused? I know preparing for my meet, three heavy days a week with moderate volume and by the fourth week I'm ready for a deload, I'd love to get results with minimal time invested because there are much more fun things to do then hang out in a gym.
                          I'm not doing hit or dc just a one bp high volume routine.

Comment

Also assuming they aren't eating 400 grams of protien a day

Comment

Justin Harris has said the same thing in the past. I remember him saying something like

"only in bodybuilding do people say they can't get better because they're working too hard."

I didn't watch the video linked to by the OP, but I'd say that some context needs to be given here. I mean, if all you're doing is lifting and some light cardio week in/week out, yeah, perhaps the likelihood of becoming truly overtrained if you're eating enough food is low.

But from personal experience, when I lift and also play basketball, the gains in the gym are very slow and I needed frequent de-loads. Theoretically, I guess if I really pounded down tons of food, perhaps I would have made much better gains, but that wasn't practical for me.

However, for the last two months I've been exclusively training (no basketball, only 1-2 cardio sessions per week) with high volume 5 days per week, with squats and deads included in the program and I feel great. I haven't been going crazy high calorie wise either, I've just bumped up the carbs and been utilizing a better pre/peri/post WO nutrition program.

So I'll say that there's definitely something to the notion that overtraining is overrated in certain contexts.
                              Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Working...
                              X