Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steel1970
    replied
    You def become hyper vigilant with your first kid guys.....for most it does get a bit better though with your second and on.....lol

Leave a comment:

• BB85
    replied
    Originally posted by Macho Man View Post
    Dammit, haha.

Actually, to the OP, you want a way to make sure your ass jumps out of bed and to full attention at the slightest sound, have a fucking kid! I am getting much better now, but for the first 3-4 months there would be a trail of smoke following me into the nursery as I ran to make sure it was just a coo I had heard, and not her choking to death, haha.
    This.

Mine is 2 months old and I used to sleep through hurricanes. Now I'm up if she's breathing louder than normally. Gotta love kids....

Leave a comment:

• steel1970
    replied
    I agree with Heckman, Macho and all others who say its discipline and/or a choice you make. I certainly have been known to burn the candle at both ends. Sometimes it's been very hard to get up. It's the same as cardio during my prep. I made a choice to get up, get it done, and move on with my day. It's really that simple.

There have been times in my life that getting up has been easier than others. I went for quite a few years getting up at 5am or so simply because I was used to it. I also was asleep most nites before 10pm. The trick for me now has been trying to iron out my new schedule. I just don't NEED to be up that early anymore, so I have been staying up later so that I can sleep later.....schedule changes suck! Lol

Not a flame, no disrespect intended whatsoever. As Macho said, you choose all your actions in life. The alarm goes off, and you either choose and will yourself outta bed, or you don't....it really is that simple. Unless you're tied to the bed, you CAN get up if you choose to do so.....

Leave a comment:

• v1hyp
    replied
    Originally posted by Heckman View Post
    I've never had a problem getting up. Alarm is set for 2:30am, most mornings I wake up 5-10 minutes before the alarm. I visualize nothing, I just do it. Its about having the discipline to just do it, day in and day out...Nothing tricky about it, for me anyway.

Well said! Just get your ass up and do it! Obviously, some days you may have to listen to what your body is trying to tell you but for the most part its just making yourself do it. Go to bed earlier, move the alarm clock, I think these are some good starting point to help you out.
    Last edited by v1hyp; 08-22-2012, 10:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WoodShred
    replied
    Originally posted by fade View Post
    You need it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    I know... Thanks dad.

Leave a comment:

• Jared Ragsdale
    replied
    Originally posted by WoodShred View Post
    I just bought this........
    You need it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Leave a comment:

• WoodShred
    replied
    Originally posted by fade View Post
    http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74132.asp
    The Runaway Alarm Clock

Problem Solved.
    I just bought this........

Leave a comment:

• Jared Ragsdale
    replied
    http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74132.asp
    The Runaway Alarm Clock

Problem Solved.

Leave a comment:

• SkinnyMike42
    replied
    I have a weird OCD behavior where I have to get at least 10 minutes of snooze. So if I want to wake up at 8, I set my alarm for 7:50. On the 2nd alarm, I am right up.

Leave a comment:

• rhoads
    replied
    hahaha I'm gonna be afraid to fall asleep when i have my first kid. I have gone through a phase through the last 10 years or so. I had insomnia for about 5-6 months like edward norton in fight club. Fixed it so simply by having a constant noise in the room while i slept. That turned me into a crazy light sleeper, like if a mouse sneezed I would be wide awake. Now it feels harder each day just to pull myself out of bed when the alarm goes off. Work and school schedule make it impossible to increase my sleep hours unless I were to completly cut my workout, out of the equation, but that simply isn't an option I'm ever willing to consider. I'm gonna try this technique out just for kicks.

Leave a comment:

• Lee Salado
    replied
    Originally posted by rhoads View Post
    All good points Macho. Had I been here longer I might have realized that Heckman was probably just being brutally honest. It's a little more serious that I personally would have taken it but i'm not him. I can also see this taking a bad turn if disrespect towards mods and veteran members has been a common occurance lately and if that's the case, I meant no disrespect and certainly had no intension of acting like a knowitall. What a way to begin a membership.........
    Way to own it, respect.

I can understand the waking up issue as someone on the outside observing it. My wife will hit the snooze button to the point where I have to go wake her up simply because I'm sick of hearing the blasted alarm go off every five minutes! Then she is a total grumpy zombie for a solid hour. This is regardless of how much sleep she gets. It's just something about waking up.

I have helped her a bit with it by starting a morning routine with her. This has helped a lot. I think some of it is conditioning, because she seems to wake up quicker and quicker.

My advice to you, besides going to bed earlier, would be to start a strict morning routine you follow until it becomes habit. A routine designed to wake you up.

For example:
    -Wake up
    -Put on gym cloths, immediately go for quick run around the block (1 time will do)
    -Shower
    -Make breakfast/coffee/meals for the day
    -Sit at computer, check emails, drink coffee.
    -Head to work

Eventually, your body will become conditioned and start becoming more and more alert at the start of your routine. The same thing with the reverse (routine before bed).

Homonunculus actually helped me with the night time ritual for sleep. I just applied the same idea for waking up for my wife.

Leave a comment:

• TLopez
    replied
    Originally posted by Macho Man View Post
    Dammit, haha.

Actually, to the OP, you want a way to make sure your ass jumps out of bed and to full attention at the slightest sound, have a fucking kid! I am getting much better now, but for the first 3-4 months there would be a trail of smoke following me into the nursery as I ran to make sure it was just a coo I had heard, and not her choking to death, haha.
    Moving the alarm clock to the other side of the room, as you mentioned before, is much cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• Macho Man
    replied
    Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
    That baby is softening you up Macho =)
    Dammit, haha.

Leave a comment:

• ch3v3ll3
    replied
    As someone who struggles to wake up in the morning no matter the time, the article in the OP was interesting. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• homonunculus
    replied
    Originally posted by rhoads View Post
    Thanks Homonunculus. This has persisted only from the last few months. I have never really had a problem being awake after alarm goes off. Usually I have been able to spring right out of bed and was ready to go, but lately It's been really hard not to hit snooze and sleep a little longer which has effected my training since I haven't gotten up in time for the gym a few times. It hasn't been a huge problem but has been annoying and a hinderance to progress. I am typically going to bed around 10 pm waking up at 5. 7 hours of sleep has always been plenty for me in the past. I stay asleep the entire night I believe, nothing my wife has brought to my attention regarding sleep apnia symptoms. I have no family history of it. I am not taking any medications of any kind. I am 5'11'' 200lbs with about 12% BF. It does feel like a habit that I have developed from repeated offenses of me telling myself "Just 5 more minutes" which realitically leads to like 30. I just found it an interesting read on how to get back to that wide awake after alarm goes off feeling.
    Rhoads,

No problemo!

Sounds like you're training harder than before and may need more sleep. (Simple as that.)

The easiest solution might simply be to get to bed earlier. (You might need to entrain this perhaps by getting in bed at 9PM if possible and reading or what have you to fall asleep if you don't fall asleep easily. Eventually, you'll likely be getting tired at this and want to go to sleep earlier, so you'll develop a new "habit" / pattern.)

-S

Leave a comment:

Working...
X