Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to wake up in the morning

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to wake up in the morning

    Hey guys, i'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I found this article about how to get up easily in the morning. I find my self having problems hitting snooze like 5-6 times since I have to be up very early to get to the gym before work. Summary of the article is about visualizing yourself turning off your alarm as fast as possible in the morning and practicing doing it in the evening before you actually go to bed. I though it was a good read and i'm def going to start this tonight several times before I go to sleep cause i've been missing a few workouts because of time issues from hitting snooze too many times. I work and go to school 4 days a week so i'm not even getting to bed most night till 11 so any bit can help.
    http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/200...larm-goes-off/

  • #2
    I've never had a problem getting up. Alarm is set for 2:30am, most mornings I wake up 5-10 minutes before the alarm. I visualize nothing, I just do it. Its about having the discipline to just do it, day in and day out...Nothing tricky about it, for me anyway.
    Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Heckman View Post
      I've never had a problem getting up. Alarm is set for 2:30am, most mornings I wake up 5-10 minutes before the alarm. I visualize nothing, I just do it. Its about having the discipline to just do it, day in and day out...Nothing tricky about it, for me anyway.
      Ditto. I'd get up at 4am everyday for 6 years. The hardest part is getting out of bed and turning on the light. Once that light hits your eyes, you wake up quickly. Like Heckman said, you just need the discipline to flip that switch.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah, it's all about the discipline. I'm an awful morning person, I drag ass for the first couple hours after waking up and am far more efficient at night; but it's as simple as getting your ass out of bed as soon as you can after waking up. Once you stand up(and jump in the shower) the odds of you going back to sleep are greatly diminished.

        And I find it's one of the most amazing things about the human body how often I set my alarm and then wake up literally one minute before it's about to go off. It's amazing.
        Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

        My On-Site Log

        My Off-Site Log

        Comment


        • #5
          Discipline has nothing to do with getting up when your alarm goes off. It's strictly about motor response. If you have already been getting up the same time every day for years it has become compulary for you to do that. This would be for people who aren't 50+ years old and been doing the same thing everyday for years. LOL.
          The shower is a good idea if I wasn't going straight to the gym after waking up.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rhoads View Post
            Discipline has nothing to do with getting up when your alarm goes off. It's strictly about motor response. If you have already been getting up the same time every day for years it has become compulary for you to do that. This would be for people who aren't 50+ years old and been doing the same thing everyday for years. LOL.
            The shower is a good idea if I wasn't going straight to the gym after waking up.
            That is laughable...It has everyhting to do with it and maybe something you lack...and please don't pull the age card..age has nothing to do with it..Its discipline and you either have it or you don't...and it sounds like you don't.
            Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

            Comment


            • #7
              Pshhh don't talk to me about discipline, you have no freaking clue. 6 Years active duty waking up every freakin day at the same time going to work and excelling in everything I do is discipline. Probably shouldn't say stupid garbage when you know nothing about me. Being a mod isn't a license to be a freaking Dick!! There's no reason in the world for you to act like so kind of hard ass to prove your high on the food chain. The age thing was a joke by the way which looks like it's something SUPER sensitive for you.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rhoads View Post
                Pshhh don't talk to me about discipline, you have no freaking clue. 6 Years active duty waking up every freakin day at the same time going to work and excelling in everything I do is discipline. Probably shouldn't say stupid garbage when you know nothing about me. Being a mod isn't a license to be a freaking Dick!! There's no reason in the world for you to act like so kind of hard ass to prove your high on the food chain. The age thing was a joke by the way which looks like it's something SUPER sensitive for you.
                Wow, pretty impressive! Hard ass, I'm not,But how does your lack of discipline make me a dick?
                Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rhoads View Post
                  Pshhh don't talk to me about discipline, you have no freaking clue. 6 Years active duty waking up every freakin day at the same time going to work and excelling in everything I do is discipline. Probably shouldn't say stupid garbage when you know nothing about me. Being a mod isn't a license to be a freaking Dick!! There's no reason in the world for you to act like so kind of hard ass to prove your high on the food chain. The age thing was a joke by the way which looks like it's something SUPER sensitive for you.
                  So then you were able to get up for 6 years, no? So what's changed?

                  About your "motor response" comment; I'm not an expert but I do have a degree in Biology and in one of the physiology courses I took we learned about circadian rhythms and how some people do have a harder time getting up in the morning; however, that doesn't make it any less about discipline, all it means is that it will take you a little more discipline than it would someone who's more of a morning person.
                  Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

                  My On-Site Log

                  My Off-Site Log

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Implying I lack discipline because I hit the snooze button rather than getting straight up is what's being a dick. Then you said also it sounds like I don't. Being in a leadership position means giving quality advice, which is what I assume you believe you give. Telling someone they clearly lack discipline because of XYZ is nowhere near quality leadership skills. If you think I am needing quality advice about something, how about giving it rather than flamming the first person whose post doesn't apply to you. This post was about helping people who have this habit, not for people who don't so if it's not a problem for you, it appears you dropped in simply to remind us how undisciplined I am and how obviously superior you are compared to me.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rhoads View Post
                      Implying I lack discipline because I hit the snooze button rather than getting straight up is what's being a dick. Then you said also it sounds like I don't. Being in a leadership position means giving quality advice, which is what I assume you believe you give. Telling someone they clearly lack discipline because of XYZ is nowhere near quality leadership skills. If you think I am needing quality advice about something, how about giving it rather than flamming the first person whose post doesn't apply to you. This post was about helping people who have this habit, not for people who don't so if it's not a problem for you, it appears you dropped in simply to remind us how undisciplined I am and how obviously superior you are compared to me.
                      Um, sure, ok....my quality advice to you was you lack discipline, hows that? To tough a pill to swallow? could be...saying you lack discipline is flamming you? Please young man, grow up.
                      Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        "About your "motor response" comment; I'm not an expert but I do have a degree in Biology and in one of the physiology courses I took we learned about circadian rhythms and how some people do have a harder time getting up in the morning; however, that doesn't make it any less about discipline, all it means is that it will take you a little more discipline than it would someone who's more of a morning person."


                        This is a valid point and i'm glad you brought this up. I wasn't training like I am now for the last 6 years. I have only been working out in the morning because of my schedule change which doesn't allow me to workout in the evening, So I have made lifting a much higher priority but have still had a hard time waking up much earlier than I am used to. Many people I know developed PTSD and trained their subconscious to duck for the nearest cover anytime an explosion went off. When they came back from said deployment, any noise they heard similar triggered the same response, however with proper psychological treatment, they were able to stop this very quickly. This is no different. I have developed a habit of hitting snooze rather than getting up because I haven't been doing this for years.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          This is funny as hell. Let me lay it out for you rhoads........

                          Your alarm goes off and you have a decision to make. There is nothing else at play here, it literally is all about a single decision presented to you in that moment.
                          A. Hit the snooze button
                          B. Wake up and start your day

                          Your inability to wake up instead of hitting the snooze is simply due to your inability to make that choice, nothing else.

                          It's not like you were classically conditioned to hit the snooze every time you heard a buzzing sound, and now you are at the mercy if that conditioning. You are getting overly sensitive about being told that you are simply lacking the willpower to make that choice and do what needs to be done to get up.
                          2010 NPC North Star

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rhoads View Post
                            I have developed a habit of hitting snooze rather than getting up

                            What part of a habit is not under your direct control, should you put forth enough effort to change it?

                            You are saying that you have programmed your brain to hit that button, completely involuntarily and detached from conscious control?
                            2010 NPC North Star

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              WOW. The "Wise" old man just made my "Dick" case for me. Guess i didn't get that Sticky that lets us all know that the "Wise" old man, is the know all, be all of discipline. clearly I have shamed my family for not swallowing this "Hard Pill" the "Wise" old man has so generously given me...........

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X