Cardio/fat burning - run/jog vs. the sprint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardio/fat burning - run/jog vs. the sprint

I know more people use running for 30-40 minutes in order to burn fat and do that over a period of time so that the muscle is not burned away. Yet, doesn't sprinting do the same thing only in a shorter amount of time? Even the Olympians, the sprinters looked as if they are ripped up and down while the marathon runners look like sticks.

What I am wondering and asking is why do people- competitors - prefer the run vs. the sprint in order to lose the weight and keep the muscle? The only reason that I can think of is running is easy than jogging as well as there may be physical issues that don't allow for sprinting but does for jogging?

I am just curious about it.

John

im pretty sure the reasoning behind the 30 - 40 min low intensity sessions is due to the diet..if you sprinted and lifted in a caloric deficit, you would risk muscle loss at a far greater rate than if you just kept the intensity low in your target heart rate zone. but, let's say your eating well over maintenance then yeah, i would sprint and lift since there is more calories present thus recovery is better. i hope i made sense, and im just taking a guess lol

Comment

I am interested in what others have to say on this.
      My Log: Back to Basics

Comment

Body weight and joint issues. Most guys in the offseason, at a heavier weight, have problems jogging, let alone sprinting at their weights. Mass is mass, whether it is fat or muscle, it is still harder on the body to carry around and sprint with ... not saying everybody is a fat pig and can't move, I am just saying a majority of the bodybuilders (especially pros), try to stay so anabolic all the time and worry about losing mass, that their body weight gets very heavy, and it makes it harder to sprint. I am a natty, and when I go down from 210-215 to 170-180 it makes a HUGE difference on joints and jarring while running.
        "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

Originally posted by MaxNat View Post
          Body weight and joint issues. Most guys in the offseason, at a heavier weight, have problems jogging, let alone sprinting at their weights. Mass is mass, whether it is fat or muscle, it is still harder on the body to carry around and sprint with
          That's the reason I don't try to run. My knees are genetically horrible to begin with, and with the heavy lifting I do if I tried to run on them they'd just disintegrate. <3 low-impact cardio
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
            That's the reason I don't try to run. My knees are genetically horrible to begin with, and with the heavy lifting I do if I tried to run on them they'd just disintegrate. <3 low-impact cardio
            This. My dad can barely walk at 62 because of his knees, so I only use the elliptical unless I want to do something sport specific (i.e. field sprints, agility drills, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post

What I am wondering and asking is why do people- competitors - prefer the run vs. the sprint in order to lose the weight and keep the muscle? The only reason that I can think of is running is easy than jogging as well as there may be physical issues that don't allow for sprinting but does for jogging?

I am just curious about it.

John
              I'm really not aware of too many high level competitors that run or jog... are you thinking of anyone in particular that does this?
              -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
              -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
              198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
              -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
              198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
              -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
              198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

Higher impact, and why run when you can fast walk to maintain a fat loss oriented heart rate? HIIT has it's place in individuals who have their nutrition on par, but most don't.
                :preach:

Comment

Originally posted by liftweights View Post
                  Higher impact, and why run when you can fast walk to maintain a fat loss oriented heart rate? HIIT has it's place in individuals who have their nutrition on par, but most don't.
                  Technically running would burn more body fat (over the same amount of time assuming we are talking about a higher MET value). Plus you would get more cardiovascular benefit from jogging/running.

The problem I see with running or jogging is that if done a lot, your muscles will start to adapt toward this, which will make them less powerful, explosive, and less strong. The adaptation to endurance, is counterproductive for muscle mass and strength...
                  -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)

Comment

I know layne norton uses sprinting as well as a lot of other things you wouldn't normally hear bodybuilders doing. He's not an IFBB pro but he is a great natural competitor.

Comment

Wendler recommends running hills or prowler work or sprinting on a treadmill, if that is all you have. But I just skip cardio altogether and become a fat slob.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooporilla View Post
                        I know layne norton uses sprinting as well as a lot of other things you wouldn't normally hear bodybuilders doing. He's not an IFBB pro but he is a great natural competitor.
                        Originally posted by -AJA14- View Post
                        Wendler recommends running hills or prowler work or sprinting on a treadmill, if that is all you have. But I just skip cardio altogether and become a fat slob.
                        These are both great options if your body can take it, and you can recover from it... they preserve muscle mass, and don't make you weaker...

Neither of those are running/jogging though...

Comment

Sprinting, plyometrics, explosive lifting....pretty much anything that explosive recruits fast twitch fibers which help make a. A leaner appearance and b. Muscle. Kevin Levrone, Phil Heath, and a few other bodybuilders have footage of sprinting/running. My emphasis on Kevin Levrone. I'd avoid long term cardio.

Comment

Look at the physiques of sprinters and running backs (Ray Rice) to kinda see what I'm saying a little more.

Comment

Working...
                            X