blood work question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blood work question

Hey guys I have a question for the knowledgeable. I think I already know the answer but I wanted to throw it all past you guys.

Had some blood work done this last week for life insurance and a few things came back out of range (and they are trying to give me a lower rate- of course). I believe everything is related to not taking time off from working out before my blood tests - but the lady I talked to who took my blood told me it wouldn't alter anything. My gut instinct told me better, but I worked out anyway.

Here are my values, if anything looks off let me know.. The main ones out of range were BUN, Creatinine, ALT, AST.

Glucose 80 (60-110mg/dl)
    Fructosamine 1.67 (1.20-1.80mmol/L)
    BUN 31 (6-25 mg/dL)
    Creatinine 1.48 (.60-1.40 mg/dL)
    Alkaline Phosphatase 43 (30-125 U/L)
    Total Bilirubin .50 (.10-.120 mg/dL)
    AST 75 (1-41 U/L)
    ALT 64 (1-45 U/L)
    Gamma Glutamyltransferase 10 (2-65 U/L)
    Total Protein 7.0 (6.0-8.5 g/dL)
    Albumin 5.1 (3.5-5.6 g/dL)
    Globulin 1.9 (1.0-4.6 g/dL)

Cholesterol 139 (140-230mg/dL)
    HDL 37.3 (25-75 mg/dL)
    LDL 81 (60-185 mg/dL)
    VLDL 19 (5-40 mg/dL)
    Triglycerides 99 (10-200 mg/dL)
    Cholesterol/HDL Ratio 1.9 (1.5-5.00)

Urinalysis
    Creatinine 137.0 (10.0-300.0 mg%)
    Glucose 0
    Total protein 6.0 (0.0-14.9 mg/dL)
    Protein/Creatinine 43 (0-200mg/gCREA)

So is this related to heavier workouts and not taking a break (and using creatine), so when I retest if I take about 4 days off I should be clear?

Thanks
    Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
    FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
    www.316fit.com
    Email: [email protected]

AST and ALT are affected by exercise...old advice recommended 3 days off before bloodwork, but there is some evidence to suggest that up to 7 days off may be needed to ensure a correct analysis

the lady you talked to is an idiot
    CEO of Morphogen Nutrition
    MorphogenNutrition.com

2012 NPC Natural Ohio
    2010 NGA Pro Universe
    2010 NPC Monster Mash
    2010 ONBF Natural Fall Classic
    2010 NPC Natural Pennsylvania
    2010 NPC Natural Northern USA
    2010 INBF Cardinal Classic
    2008 NPC Natural Northern USA
    2008 NPC Ohio State
    2004 NPC Natural Northern USA

Comment

Yeah I was pretty sure I needed to take some time off for the blood test, so it is my fault as well. They are letting me retest, so no big deal.

I knew the ALT, AST was affected by muscle breakdown from the workouts - but I guess I need to get the creatinine and BUN under control. I dropped the creatine for about 2 weeks now, and if I remember right that can contribute to some increased creatinine.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
        AST and ALT are affected by exercise...old advice recommended 3 days off before bloodwork, but there is some evidence to suggest that up to 7 days off may be needed to ensure a correct analysis

the lady you talked to is an idiot
        This is what I have heard too.....I am pretty sure there is an old thread here that explains how to prep for a blood test to get the most favorable results...I'll look for it if I have a chance later, but I think if you take time off you'll be good to go....Everything else looks great....
        STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
          Yeah I was pretty sure I needed to take some time off for the blood test, so it is my fault as well. They are letting me retest, so no big deal.

I knew the ALT, AST was affected by muscle breakdown from the workouts - but I guess I need to get the creatinine and BUN under control. I dropped the creatine for about 2 weeks now, and if I remember right that can contribute to some increased creatinine.
          Yeah that lady's an idiot....but in her defense most medical professionals have no clue how muscularity and heavy workouts effect lab work. Not working out for 5 days or so should help both values. Your creatinine may still be elevated just because of your muscle mass.....mine has been as high as 1.67, but with 5 days of no lifting, reduced protein intake and plenty of fluids it came down to 1.38....still high though

Comment

Originally posted by bigoso View Post
            Yeah that lady's an idiot....but in her defense most medical professionals have no clue how muscularity and heavy workouts effect lab work. Not working out for 5 days or so should help both values. Your creatinine may still be elevated just because of your muscle mass.....mine has been as high as 1.67, but with 5 days of no lifting, reduced protein intake and plenty of fluids it came down to 1.38....still high though

Hmmm so more related to body weight and protein? Any other way to make sure this is down?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

www.316fit.com

Comment

This is interesting as I am going through the same thing right now. I think the GFR value that is calculated from Creatinine is what determines kidney problems. Mine is real low and about the same as yours Fade. My doctor is concerned and I have to retest next month. I had no idea muscle mass affects this along with training close to test date. I have been doing lots of reading on this and it seems all supplements and caffeine can throw this off.

The only things I found that can improve it is hydration and asparagus apparently.

Comment

In my personal experience, hydration makes the biggest impact on all of your out of range numbers, for me. I tried taking a week off prior to my blood draw and would still have elevated liver enzymes. It wasn't until I started doing better with my hydration that I got these within range. I no longer take time off from training before my blood draw (due to some health issues I am currently getting blood tests every four weeks). What I do is make sure that I'm well hydrated. Power Aid Zero has done wonders for me, I drink them everyday. The morning of my fasted blood test, I drink about 32oz of water.
                Save 5% off your entire order at TrueProtein.com by using discount code LYP800; 10% if you order 16 lbs or more!

For a protein that can be used anytime, try TeamSkip Blend

You will need a scoop if you don’t have one: Measuring Scoops

Comment

Originally posted by BigLar View Post
                  In my personal experience, hydration makes the biggest impact on all of your out of range numbers, for me. I tried taking a week off prior to my blood draw and would still have elevated liver enzymes. It wasn't until I started doing better with my hydration that I got these within range. I no longer take time off from training before my blood draw (due to some health issues I am currently getting blood tests every four weeks). What I do is make sure that I'm well hydrated. Power Aid Zero has done wonders for me, I drink them everyday. The morning of my fasted blood test, I drink about 32oz of water.
                  Thanks, I was definitely a bit dehydrated and don't do the best on staying hydrated through the day.

You don't have any problems with liver enzymes at all anymore?

www.316fit.com

Comment

Nope. I went from levels like you, to being in the middle of the range. Like I said, I've had my blood tested every 4 weeks for the last 4 months. Before that it was every three months for TRT. Ever since I started hydrating I have been in range. I have a hard time staying hydrated, so PowerAid Zero has really helped.

In the past I even tried different liver enzyme supplements. They didn't help at all.
                    Save 5% off your entire order at TrueProtein.com by using discount code LYP800; 10% if you order 16 lbs or more!

For a protein that can be used anytime, try TeamSkip Blend

You will need a scoop if you don’t have one: Measuring Scoops

Comment

Originally posted by BigLar View Post
                      Nope. I went from levels like you, to being in the middle of the range. Like I said, I've had my blood tested every 4 weeks for the last 4 months. Before that it was every three months for TRT. Ever since I started hydrating I have been in range. I have a hard time staying hydrated, so PowerAid Zero has really helped.

In the past I even tried different liver enzyme supplements. They didn't help at all.
                      Very very interesting. I will definitely make sure to keep hydrated for this next test. I appreciate it!

www.316fit.com

Comment

Looks like you got your answers but yes, exercise (muscle breakdown) dehydration, creatine supplementation, high protein levels and red meat will all effect the values you asked about. I went round the block with my Dr years ago on this very topic and brought him in studies that show how bodybuilding habits will effect the levels. Then I proved it to him by going back for bloodwork a week later, having taken time off, lowered protein, no red meat for a few days and being sure to be fully hydrated and I scored perfectly!
                        -KidRok-
                        "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                        5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Originally posted by KidRok View Post
                          Looks like you got your answers but yes, exercise (muscle breakdown) dehydration, creatine supplementation, high protein levels and red meat will all effect the values you asked about. I went round the block with my Dr years ago on this very topic and brought him in studies that show how bodybuilding habits will effect the levels. Then I proved it to him by going back for bloodwork a week later, having taken time off, lowered protein, no red meat for a few days and being sure to be fully hydrated and I scored perfectly!
                          Thanks man I will definitely still take some time off since this is for life insurance, and definitely stay hydrated.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Working...
                          X