Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running and leg size/strength

Hi There

I was wondering how much running (i.e. for my cardio sessions) affects leg size/strength (particularly squat strength).

I am 24y.o. 181cm 93Kg natural (about 11-12%bf), and am trying to put on mass (i have been treain. However, i am running on my off days (train 3 days a week, run 3-4 times a week at around 30-35min ) - this running is not flat out sprints etc.. but its not slow easy jogging, its more like tempo (i.e. comfortably hard running, with some short, higher intensity running right at the end)
    for example. running on treadmill for 32 minutes at 12.5km/h (last minute is at 15.5 km/h).

I feel that my running may be compromising my leg size/strength.
    My current squat numbers are 107.5kg 11-12 reps, 90-95kg for 20 reps. However, my deadlift numbers are decent (best is 182.5kg for 4 reps)

I feel that by watching videos on youtube, and with the numbers that some guys are putting up on these forums that my numbers are comparatively weak for a natural bber at my age and training experience.

i was wondering whether (and if so, how) i should change my current regime (weights & cardio) to build leg mass i desire
    i.e. should i change my program to focus on getting my squat numbers up (and therefore gain leg size??)

The reason i do all the running is becuase my appetite is out of control, and i do the running to a) allow me to eat alot of calories on my off-days, and b) for heart health etc..

any help would be greatly appreciated

The reason i do all the running is becuase my appetite is out of control, and i do the running to a) allow me to eat alot of calories on my off-days...

Have you considered weight training your legs more often than you do currently , eg. 2x per week vs 1x.

Comment

Working...
    X