Finishing out my last week of Mountain Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing out my last week of Mountain Dog

This is week 12 of Mountain Dog Training. This is definitely one of the more challenging programs I've used. I wanted to lay out what I believe are the strong points and weak points and answer any questions. Keep in mind this is my first 12 weeks with John so we haven't delved into bands or chains, and keep in mind I'm not an expert, but I can answer questions from a trainees point of view. The next phase is a band phase. So if you have any questions keep that in mind.

Advantages
    1. Keeps joints healthy- I can honestly say I have not had any joint pain throughout this entire program despite gutting out some of the hardest workouts I've even done.
    2. Every workout is different- Each time I got to the gym I was excited about training. This workout never gets boring. I never felt burnt out throughout the entire phase.
    3. The workout hits the muscle in so many ways the body is always guessing. You never feel like you are stalling out.
    4. The strength gains sneak up on you. Here is any example. I did 2 warmups on seated leg curls, then I did 3 work sets. Each set had a pause in the extended position for a second before performing the positive portion of the rep. This is a killer. Next I had to work up to several heavy sets of leg press. I ended up with 18 plates on the machine, which is heavier than most machines. Finally, I was supposed to hit 3 sets of squat with a weight that is my 15 rep max. I decided to pick 315. I was blown away about how light the weight felt after all of this. Every rep was explosive. In fact I felt a pump in my calves when the sets were done from coming off the ground.
    5. The workout focuses on areas that are often ignored by trainees such as hamstrings, and rear delts.
    6. Volume and Intensity is cycled keeping recovery in mind.

Disadvantages
    1. Although I know John has programs for less serious trainees, Mountain Dog is not a beginners workout.
    2. If you are doing this type of training you have to have your nutrition, sleep, and recovery in check. This may be obvious, but it is very important for this type of training.
    3. These are not HIT workouts. You will need the time necessary to complete the training. Not a big issue. I completed most workouts between 1 and 1.5 hours.

Overall, I really had to struggle to find negatives. I really wouldn't even call them negatives. They are more of things to keep in mind if you are choosing this type of training. I am definitely a believer and will be sticking with MD for a long time. The results I have seen so far is a reduction in body fat, from 12% to 10% in 12 weeks while keeping the same body weight, and increase in strength, and increased size in weak bodyparts (arms,calves).
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

NICE!....sounds like you found things that work for you...awesome

Comment

Thanks, I really believe this training is going to gain popularity. Some of the success stories that John and Shelby have had are pretty impressive. I hope no one thinks by this post that I'm saying that this is the only way to train. I like DC training, and even FST-7 type training. This just seems to be what I need at this point in my training and I believe it should be ranked right up there with other advanced programs.

Truenutrition.com
      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Good stuff Dobbie! MD training is definitely some cool stuff. I love the variety John has in his training. Everything seems to be evolving throughout the program so you do not get stagnant and the planned recovery periods keep you motivated and healthy.

Did you and John put any emphasis on particular bodyparts specific to your own development or have you noticed any particular areas responding better to this training than how you trained previously?
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Any before and after pics?...

-S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

is the band phase 2 weeks on, 1 week off kind of thing?

Comment

Scott, I want to wait till the next 12 weeks for that, but rest assured I will post them up. I'd like to show a bigger difference. My before pics are horrible. I really couldn't believe the caliper number said I was only 12% (I tend to hold water like a camel), and who knows how accurate the test is, but in the end it's more about just getting the total readings to consistently get better. Who knows. I am sending John pics at the end of next week so maybe I'll throw those up.

Truenutrition.com
              Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                Good stuff Dobbie! MD training is definitely some cool stuff. I love the variety John has in his training. Everything seems to be evolving throughout the program so you do not get stagnant and the planned recovery periods keep you motivated and healthy.

Did you and John put any emphasis on particular bodyparts specific to your own development or have you noticed any particular areas responding better to this training than how you trained previously?
                No, there wasn't a particular focus on a specific body part. I'm sure John used the initial 12 weeks to gauge where I was at. I have a feeling that the next 12 will be even more challenging. I have noticed my calves responding better due to the variety of training that they were put through. I think my arms responded better for the same reason.

Truenutrition.com
                Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by t11t27 View Post
                  is the band phase 2 weeks on, 1 week off kind of thing?
                  I'm not sure about that. I only have the first two weeks of training for the band phase. I have a feeling from looking at it he eases you into it. The bands are mainly used on machines like leg curls.

Truenutrition.com
                  Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                    Scott, I want to wait till the next 12 weeks for that, but rest assured I will post them up. I'd like to show a bigger difference. My before pics are horrible. I really couldn't believe the caliper number said I was only 12% (I tend to hold water like a camel), and who knows how accurate the test is, but in the end it's more about just getting the total readings to consistently get better. Who knows. I am sending John pics at the end of next week so maybe I'll throw those up.
                    Sounds good. (I thought you started up with him just after your show?...)

-S
                    The Book Has Arrived!
                    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

My before pics are horrible. I really couldn't believe the caliper number said I was only 12% (I tend to hold water like a camel), and who knows how accurate the test is, .
                      9 point caliper is supposed to have a 4 point margin, so I always add 4 percent onto my number. I'm like 8 right now on the caliper, but my lower back fat tells me otherwise. lol

I'll be interested to see what your next phase does for you. I've considered training the Mr. Meadows recently, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                        Sounds good. (I thought you started up with him just after your show?...)

-S
                        I was going to, but family life and stuff got in the way of us meeting up. I had my normal 2 weeks of "carb loading" aka eating anything that is edible, but unfortunately that turned into more than a month. I think John's words when we met where, "What the hell did you do!" Ok maybe it wasn't that bad...lol.

Truenutrition.com
                        Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Pheedno View Post
                          9 point caliper is supposed to have a 4 point margin, so I always add 4 percent onto my number. I'm like 8 right now on the caliper, but my lower back fat tells me otherwise. lol

I'll be interested to see what your next phase does for you. I've considered training the Mr. Meadows recently, as well.

Agreed about the body fat % from the calipers and I wouldn't bat an eye if I was truly 14%, but I rarely pay attention to the % of body fat. I am more concerned with the total numbers. I only mention the % because that is what everyone is familiar with. As far as total numbers I try to get the total below 30 if I'm getting ready for a show, but in the end it's how I look on stage. I agree it is not an accurate measure, but in the end it's just a number. As long as the total of those numbers go down during a fat loss phase or don't go up during a bulking phase I'm happy. My doctor was using a Bod Pod to to my body fat, but he is going to be purchasing a new machine that is supposed to be even better so I might switch to that so my results are more consistent. As far as where I am now I'm fairly happy. At 5'4" I'm pushing 200lbs. This is the leanest I've been at this body weight. John believes I can show up next year as a strong middleweight. I try not to focus on what weight class I am or how heavy I am, but if we can achieve that I will be blown away.

I definitely would recommend John. He's a great guy and extremely easy to talk with. With that said, I can't go with out saying the same about Skip and Scott. Both are top notch coaches. All of these guys will give you great results and have decades of knowledge that you can't get anywhere else. You couldn't go wrong either way. One reason I went with John was that I've known him for a long time and we only live about 15 minutes away from each other.
                          Last edited by Doberman; 08-17-2012, 11:37 AM.

Truenutrition.com
                          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I was going to, but family life and stuff got in the way of us meeting up. I had my normal 2 weeks of "carb loading" aka eating anything that is edible, but unfortunately that turned into more than a month. I think John's words when we met where, "What the hell did you do!" Ok maybe it wasn't that bad...lol.
                            LOL - I always cringe at those stories... (WHY, DOBIE?!?!?! WHY?!?!?!)

Glad you're back on track and yes, John is awesome. Just a great guy all around.

-S
                            The Book Has Arrived!
                            The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

worth every penny...if rest, nutrition, supps are all in line and you're a serious bodybuilder not a weekend warrior or some jerkoff that jumps from program to program

you will grow, you become a machine in the gym, training this way allows you to eat more food for obvious reasons, John is the man bottom line

Comment

Working...
                              X