Why do you train?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you train?

Just curious as to why you guys train.....I know that for me, it has developed from wanting to look normal (like Dante has said about himself many times) as I was always very skinny, and has mutated into me wanting to actually do well on a bb'ing stage....I like lifting and it's hard work, but that and my diet are two things in life that I suppose I can control. I use my workouts as a stress relief for me, as I seem to get agitated very quickly about things that most would say don't matter...lol. I think the gym is kinda like my therapy, and the diet is like my regimented daily routine....I have always needed structure in my life, and by God bb'ing absolutely brings structure....

Over the weekend I competed in my first show at 41 vyears old, after having a long love affair with training and such, and even with my years of experience there were many guys who just dominated me....That leads me to think that I have SOOO much more room to get better, and it's a challenge that I'm ready for....

So, why do you train? Vanity? Sports? Just so the wife doesn't call you a fat pig? To compete? To just be the strongest or biggest guy at your gym?

Give me some insight as to why you do what you do.....
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

At first it was just to look normal. I was 6'5" 175 lbs and probably 17% bodyfat. AKA skinny fat to the max.

Then it turned into wanting to get strong as fuck, so I did that for a while and go up to a fat 240 lbs and eclipsed the 3/4/5 goal pretty damn easily.

Now I am into BBing because my wife called me fat over a year ago LOL. Then I found this site and realized I WAS FAT and now I am a wannabe BBer =)

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
      At first it was just to look normal. I was 6'5" 175 lbs and probably 17% bodyfat. AKA skinny fat to the max.

Then it turned into wanting to get strong as fuck, so I did that for a while and go up to a fat 240 lbs and eclipsed the 3/4/5 goal pretty damn easily.

Now I am into BBing because my wife called me fat over a year ago LOL. Then I found this site and realized I WAS FAT and now I am a wannabe BBer =)
      My wife called me "fatty" once. We had split up for awhile and I was living the single life a bit too much. A little too much fast food, beer, and fast women took their toll on the body comp for sure....lol
      STEEL

Comment

Hahaha.

I was fat but thought I was "big". Even looking in the mirror I couldn't tell how fat I was.

It really takes a good photo to realize it sometimes. My wife sniped a pic of me while I was mowing the lawn, slightly bent over. I was in shock when I saw my gut hanging like an egg yolk off a nail.

Comment

For me, I was a husky (not a slob, but pretty chunky) through high-school and decided to lose weight senior year. I went from 190 to 140 and then remained a skinny-ass cardio kid for a couple years. A friend got me into lifting when I got bored of cardio and basketball and I loved it.

But why do I lift now? Several reasons, in no particular order:

1) Looks/Girls- I like being a strong guy and looking good with and without clothes. Especially with the crazy hipster/starved look that's all the rage these days with people my age (20's), guys like us look even better compared to the next guy, lol. Looking good translates to feeling good, more self-confidence, etc.

2) Sports- I also lift for performance and make sure a lot of my strength translates well to the basketball court, football field and softball diamond. I've gained 50 pounds while getting leaner since I started lifting and I'm MUCH faster and more explosive than I was back then despite playing at a much higher weight.

3) Food- I was fat in high-school because I love to eat and that hasn't changed. I eat much cleaner but I also love lifting because even if I were to eat sloppy, I still wouldn't get fat. Putting on all this weight has allowed me to eat lots of food without worrying about turning into a slob.

There are other reasons but those are the big 3.
          Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

I've had interest in strength ever since I was a kid; five or six years old. I finally had the discipline at 16 to adhere to a training regimen and always read more and more on the topic of strength/bodybuilding. I've always trained at home and over the years have made a kick-ass gym in my basement.

In the present day, my job is quite demanding with lots of travel, long hours, tights deadlines etc. that my consistency is not where I want it to be and is easily the most important factor in achieving goals. That being said, I try my best and would say that my two motivating factors are my continued interest in strength and it also serves as an outlet. Though, when I don't achieve my goals, I think I get more stressed rather than less

Also, the psychological tools I've gained from training will always trump any physical accomplishments I ever make.

Comment

A lot of the same reasons mentioned above such as stress relief and therapy. Also I find training (I don't or plan on competing so I'm talking strictly just training) to be one of the fairest things in life. You definitely get out of it what you put into it. Sure you have obstacles like schedules, injury, genetics, ect that play a role but if you miss a workout because you are lazy that day or eat something you shouldn't, that is on you.

For me I guess it started out as a hobby and became more of a lifestyle. It also sets a good example for my young kids.

Plus who the hell doesn't want abs and 20 inch arms? Lucky for me I grew up in a generation that admired guys like Arnold and Hulk Hogan. I pity these kids now a days that admire the dude from Twilight for being so massive and ripped. LOL

Comment

For as long as I can remember, there was never time I could take my shirt off and feel comfortable about myself. Some smart ass always had to make a comment about my weight. Towards the end of high school I joined a thrash metal band and we all become very good friends, going out for drinks at least 4 nights a week just plowing our way through bottle after bottle of brandy.

The next thing I know I've spotted Chris Farley in my bathroom mirror! Shortly after that I found the iron and the bug had bitten. At first I lost weight but after the first couple of months I just went back to excessive drinking and eating. Fast forward 3 years and I'm 120kgs at like 300% body fat :insane:
                I've managed to get down to 101kgs now and according to a caliper test I got done recently I'm at 9.7% body fat, but I think its really closer to 12.

Now all those same people from high school ask me for advice

Feels gooood! :whoo:

Now while I would love to get leaner I'd also like to compete in power lifting.
                Enter... The Hypertrophy Chamber!! My journal:
                http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=47472

Comment

^ pounding brandy?? I guess it was one of those classy upper class thrash metal bands

Comment

Originally posted by MachMood View Post
                    ^ pounding brandy?? I guess it was one of those classy upper class thrash metal bands
                    Haha thrash with class
                    About 90% of what we made at the door went to the bar at the end of the night. We weren't great with money haha! Damn drunks...
                    Enter... The Hypertrophy Chamber!! My journal:
                    http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=47472

Comment

I've always just like lifting. Got into bench and power clean competitions in high school @ 103 lbs. body weight (benching 190 and power cleaning 165). From then on it was just to look good with out a shirt. A few years ago I really started to take it a little more seriously.

After meeting Heckman and him letting me in on this little secret society of IM, I really got inspired by all of you to really push myself. I have to admit, @ 5'4", I like the looks I get when bigger guys see me put more weight then them on the bar. Some even come up to me and say, "damn you're strong". That feels good.
                      2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

How did the show go dude? If you made a thread I missed it..

Comment

Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
                          How did the show go dude? If you made a thread I missed it..
                          Posted a bit about it in my journal.....pics will come after I get them....
                          STEEL

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                            Posted a bit about it in my journal.....pics will come after I get them....
                            Just saw it. Congrats on your progress, looking forward to seeing the pics!

Comment

Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
                              Just saw it. Congrats on your progress, looking forward to seeing the pics!
                              Thanks man!!
                              STEEL

Comment

Working...
                              X