All carbs are NOT created equal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All carbs are NOT created equal

So during my layoff from the gym and dieting I definetely developed a sugar addiction. Some people may see the word addiction and think it is an over statement but I truly believe I was 100% addicted. During this time my wife was also pregnant so me running to wawa at 11pm for an entemens cake and gallon of ice and us getting in bed with a fork and spoon was not uncommon. Cookies, cakes, sweets you name it we ate it. A funny thing happened over time. We craved it more and more and could handle more and more. every meal we had to have a desert and we snacked non stop. Cravings were out of control. Long story short we were getting fatter, craving more, eating more and never full. After she had the baby she went on the south beach diet and I went in a CKD DIET. I really believed al carbs were the devil and a sweet potato would have that same addicting trait as sugar. Fast forward to me working with skip and my outlook has changed. He convinced me to get off CKD and start eating carbs again. I WAS LITERLLY SCARED. The cravings I had before with sugar were very intense and there's no way I could keep a strict diet in that metal state. Let me tell you all cabs are not created equal. Sweet potatos give me ZERO BLOAT, no sugar highs/lows, don't make me feel gross AMD DONT MAKE ME CRAVE MORE AND MORE. my outlook on carbs have completely changed thanks to skip. My wife did the south beach diet and feels the same way. I've read all those articles that say thenglycmeic index doesn't matter, a carb is a carb, blah blah and I believed it. Let me tell you it seems nothing could be further from the truth. Just thought I would share my experience I'm sure this info most of you already know

Curious as to how many carbs you were taking in, I cut carbs when dieting because it worked well once, wouldn't mind adding some in though
    Originally posted by thsfootball
    Stressing about what's catabolic- catabolic

Comment

Before I would never count but I'd go In the kitchen for a pop tart, have 1 and before u know it I've gone back 3 times , finished the box, then had some cereal and just kept going and going much like an addict. Now I have zero cravings and sweets actually make me sick. Also my energy is much more stable with no crashes like before.

Comment

Yeh. Once you get use to eating healthy carbs like oats, brown rice etc, it will make you sick when you eat other garbage.
        Dont get me wrong i crave junk food as much as the next guy...skiploading is awesome though. It gives you that once a week opportunity to kill the cravings and then continue eating well. Couldn't ask for more really.

Comment

^^ I have some cravings now but they are not intense and easy to manage. I used the word addiction because I would have uncontrollable urges to binge and I couldn't help myself

Comment

So you're saying eating possibly thousands of carbs a day caused less than optimal results? You were eating thousands of calories worth of carbs a day that came from high GI foods, now you're eating carbs in moderation, and feel better. Wouldn't the rational conclusion be that eating carbs in moderation is more optimal than buying out wawa before bed?

Comment

I get where your coming from, but your point isn't really valid at all. Glad you got your diet fixed though.
              :preach:

Comment

Originally posted by str8rippau View Post
                Yeh. Once you get use to eating healthy carbs like oats, brown rice etc, it will make you sick when you eat other garbage.
                Dont get me wrong i crave junk food as much as the next guy...skiploading is awesome though. It gives you that once a week opportunity to kill the cravings and then continue eating well. Couldn't ask for more really.

I only get really sick if I "shitload" (re: higher fat foods). It ends up sitting in my tummy like a gut bomb all week long.

No fried chicken wif my waffles. :rain:
                #docswholift
                PGY-1 FM
                "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Definitely makes a difference to me the types of carbs. These days I stick to fruit, Ezekiel bread, sweet potatoes, brown rice. Digest easily and no inflammation.

Comment

I wouldn't even consider ice cream and Entenmanns cakes "carbs". Yes they are loaded with them, but also very high in fat. Skip did an experiment on carb sources and dieting with great success. If not in a "prep", I think you could very well eat any carb you want for your carb source, as long as it fit in your macro requirement. In fact, Breck just completed his prep doing this and achieved his best condition....."If It Fits Your Macros" is becoming a popular way of dieting, and it seems to work just as well as any other diet. I'm certainly not one to say to eat anything you want, but the proof is there that regardless of carb source you can still drop fat .....
                    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I'm pretty sure most of those who advocate that a carb is a carb regardless of what kind it is are talking int terms of body composition and not taking into account the health benefits of the other nutrients that are in your better carb sources. Obviously those things also have an effect on the way you feel or "react" (energy, bloat, etc.) to said carbs as well.
                      Last edited by JimPhreak; 08-08-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimPhreak View Post
                        I'm pretty sure most of those who advocate that a carb is a carb regardless of what kind it is are talking int terms of body composition and not taking into account the health benefits of the other nutrients that are in your better carb sources. Obviously those things also have an effect on the way you feel or "react" (energy, bloat, etc.) to said carbs as well.
                        Absolutely...no one has ever said that choosing shitty carbs over clean carbs is healthier, short or long term. Just merely stating that in terms of losing fat, it's been proven that you can hit your macros with oats, or with low fat Pop Tarts and still get the same results fat loss wise....
                        STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I knew I could eat some "fun" carbs if I wanted, but didn't rely on them b/c I would still be hungry. It was nice to mix it in though. Also, fiber helps a lot in satiey. Which is why I took in at least 30g a day.
                          2005 HOA Natural Classic
                          2006 OCB Midwest
                          2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                          2008 HOA Natural Classic
                          NPC Mid-Illinois
                          NPC Midwest Open
                          NPC Natural Grand Prix
                          2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                          USPA Illinois State
                          NGA Heart of America
                          NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

I'm almost sure Skip's experiment proved otherwise
                            Use discount code "SNM815" at checkout to receive 5% off of your ENTIRE order! Which Means 10% off any 15+ lbs of Protien or 16+ Flavour Packs you buy.

Comment

Machmood, I really think that the "addiction" you experienced was in part induced by the dopamine release cause by the sweets. It triggers the pleasure center in your brain and over time you become desensitized to a given amount of food and require more.

Once you adopt a different lifestyle and eating habits you can derive the same sense of pleasure from achieving positive results and meeting personal goals.
                              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                              X