Anyone used PRRS training method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used PRRS training method

Has anyone used Eric Broser's Power Rep Range Shock (PRRS) training method before? Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it.

Trucelt has. Shoot him a PM if he doesn't see this.
    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Hey Jim-
      I'm doing it now and have done it in the past....I've made a few slight modifications but for the most part follow it pretty close. What are your thoughts/questions?
      '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
      17 AAU Super Total
      '16-AAU Hi
      '15-USPA Metro
      '15-USPA State
      '15-AAU HI
      '14-AAU HI
      '14-USPA Metro
      '14-WABDL Sonny's
      '14-USPA State
      '14-HI Strongman
      '13-USPA
      '13-WABDL Sonny's
      '13-USPA State
      '13-AAU HI
      '11-USPA Metro
      '10-NPC Stingrey
      '09-NPC Islands
      '09-NPC Stingrey
      '09-ABA Islands
      '02-ABA Islands
      '02-ABA IronWorks
      '01-NPC Paradise Cup
      '01-ABA Olympia
      '01-ABA Islands
      '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
      '00-INBF Musclefest
      '98-NGA Ill
      '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Hey True, thanks for chiming in. I was just wondering how those that have used the method would compare their results to other methods of training they've used.

I know you said you've made some modifications, could you elaborate on that a bit? Have u stuck to the P-RR-S model where you do each for a week? I've seen some people say they've done something like P-P-RR-RR-S for example or something along those lines where they double up certain weeks they are trying to emphasize.

Most of the example splits I've seen are something like :

Chest/Bi's
        Legs
        Rest
        Shoulders/Tri's
        Back

However I'm wondering if you or anyone you know have applied these methods to a split where you're hitting the muscle twice per week because I feel that works best for me. I hate hitting a muscle group just once per week having to wait 7 days to attack it again. Especially since every now and then you're gonna have an "off" workout and having to wait a whole nother week to get back on track is like agony.
        Last edited by JimPhreak; 08-06-2012, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimPhreak View Post
          Hey True, thanks for chiming in. I was just wondering how those that have used the method would compare their results to other methods of training they've used.

I know you said you've made some modifications, could you elaborate on that a bit? Have u stuck to the P-RR-S model where you do each for a week? I've seen some people say they've done something like P-P-RR-RR-S for example or something along those lines where they double up certain weeks they are trying to emphasize.

Most of the example splits I've seen are something like :

Chest/Bi's
          Legs
          Rest
          Shoulders/Tri's
          Back

However I'm wondering if you or anyone you know have applied these methods to a split where you're hitting the muscle twice per week because I feel that works best for me. I hate hitting a muscle group just once per week having to wait 7 days to attack it again. Especially since every now and then you're gonna have an "off" workout and having to wait a whole nother week to get back on track is like agony.
          Although I'm familiar with this type of training. It's similar to Y3T or whatever it's called that Neil Hill does. Some people say Neil's training copies this, but who knows. Anyhow, I haven't seen any versions where 2x a week training has been used and although there isn't anything wrong with experimenting, with this kind of program it might be too much. If you really like 2x a week training and want a hypertrophy program you might want to try my Heavy/Light FST-7 Hybrid that I posted a while ago. Basically on your heavy day your heavy sets are high intensity using rest pause or other intensity techniques, then finishing off the muscle with FST-7 sets. You would then do a light workout for another muscle group.

Just as an example:

Heavy Legs

15 min treadmill warm up
          Squat Machine Loaded 14 platesX10+4, 6
          Leg Press 18 Plates 12+6, 20+4
          Reverse Lunges 35x5,5,5,5 (I do each leg for 5 then do the other with no rest)
          Leg extention 60x7x12 (hack squats might be a nice alternative)
          Standing Leg Curls 20x12,12,10,8,8,8,8 (I hold the contraction on these for 1-2 seconds)

Standing Calves 2x50lbsx12+6 (I hold the weight in the contracted position for 5 seconds then lower it in 5 then I rep out and push as much blood in as possible in the lower range)

Arm Giant Set
          Reverse Cable Curls 30x5x12
          Cable Curls 30x5x12
          Tricep Pushdowns 60x5x12
          Diamond Pushups 5x12+

And the reverse on another day...

Heavy Arms/Light Legs

A1.BB Curls 85x10+3 8+3
          A2.Tricep Pushdowns 80x10+3, 8+3
          B1.Hammer Curls with fat gripz 35x10+3
          B2.Cable Skulls 60x12+3
          C1.Preacher ez bar curls 45x7x12
          C2.Dips (bodyweight)7x12

*rest between heavy sets was 30 seconds then on FST-7 I supersetted the preachers and dips.

Leg Giant Set (all 4 exercises done with no rest. I get a pump on each stay short of failure then move on to the next one without rest. I rest about 45 seconds between giant sets)

Squat (very tight form, controlled and feeling the muscles contract) 185x5x12
          Leg Press (piston style reps) 450x5x12
          Leg Extention (Piston style reps. trying to pump the blood in) 45x5x12
          Seated Leg Curl (2 sec hold in contracted position) 45x5x1
          Last edited by Doberman; 08-06-2012, 12:18 PM.
          1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
          2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
          2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
          2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
          2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
          2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I also want to emphasize stretching and flexing in between the 7's on this program. Also with any program drink a lot of water. I would suggest a good intra workout program such as MG's Muscle Powder. Just keep in mind that the goal with the heavy work is to beat the log book each time. When you plateau, take an exercise out just as you would with DC training. The the 7's work as hard as you can and get as much blood in the muscle as possible. The goal of these is to stretch the muscle fascia. The light workout is to also pump blood in the muscle, work the slow twitch fibers, and to help with recovery from the heavy work that has been done prior. Also you do want to hit a cruise every 6-8 weeks, although some people may go longer.

Regardless, of which program you choose there is no reason to freak out about an off workout. It happens, but your results are cumulative. One workout does not make or break you. Being consistent, and steadfast in your training and nutrition does. You can't force growth by doing more. Give it time and it will happen.
            Last edited by Doberman; 08-06-2012, 12:17 PM.

Truenutrition.com
            Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Doberman I really appreciate what you've provided here, it looks like a very solid program. However I really am interested in giving the PRRS principles (notably the tempos and rep ranges) a try. I thought if I just split the volume normally done on one day over 2 days it wouldn't be too much. So instead of doing 10 sets on Monday, doing 5 on Monday and 5 on Thursday. However you're certainly more experienced than I am so are you saying this would still be too taxing?

Comment

I guess I just feel that this program has been around for a while and has been successful for people. Why not give it a try as is first? I also think if they want you to do 10 sets that is the stimulus that they programed into the program. 5 sets may not give the stimulus necessary. I'd equate it with tapping slowly on a nail for a few days instead of just smacking that sucker. I've also seen this thought with programs like DC. People see it, and want to change it before giving it a try as is first. So my advice is give it a 6-8 week time frame and see how you respond. Also, you may be surprised. If you know this is your one chance that week to make a difference you may work that much harder instead of saving some in the tank (subconsciously) for the next workout that week. Regardless of your choice keep good records and let us know how it goes. Good luck brother.

Truenutrition.com
                Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                  I guess I just feel that this program has been around for a while and has been successful for people. Why not give it a try as is first? I also think if they want you to do 10 sets that is the stimulus that they programed into the program. 5 sets may not give the stimulus necessary. I'd equate it with tapping slowly on a nail for a few days instead of just smacking that sucker. I've also seen this thought with programs like DC. People see it, and want to change it before giving it a try as is first. So my advice is give it a 6-8 week time frame and see how you respond. Also, you may be surprised. If you know this is your one chance that week to make a difference you may work that much harder instead of saving some in the tank (subconsciously) for the next workout that week. Regardless of your choice keep good records and let us know how it goes. Good luck brother.
                  Solid advice here. Thanks for your input it really is appreciated Doberman.

Comment

A Google search yielded an upper/lower split approval from Broser himself:

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/tr...rs-splits.html

Comment

Looks solid. I'd give it a go if your interested.

Truenutrition.com
                      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by leon79 View Post
                        A Google search yielded an upper/lower split approval from Broser himself:

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/tr...rs-splits.html
                        Sweet! Nice find thanks.

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                        Looks solid. I'd give it a go if your interested.
                        Yea looks solid I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
                        X