Running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running

Sup guys. So I never do cardio (aside from some daily walking since I live in the city). Basically I only ever break a sweat when I'm lifting in the gym.

However, also because I am a smoker (not cigarettes), I've found that my cardio is shit. Recently I played a pickup game of basketball with friends to 11 points and I was pretty much gassed by the end of it.

I theorize that my lack of cardio/somewhat reduced lung function is also hampering my progress in the gym. I think that since (a) my effective surface area of the interior of the lungs is smaller than your average non-smoker and (b) my heart has not been conditioned to operating at a higher cardiovascular threshold, my recovery between sets is impaired, resulting in less weight/reps performed. You see, especially since I train with a decent level of volume, rest periods on most sets 1 to 2 minutes, waste products and lactic acid build up quickly in my muscle. And since my cardio/circulation is not great, its harder for me to recover between sets.

Not to mention I sweat like a pig if its hot/slightly humid or if I have to exert myself. Even when just lifting.

So basically my question is, for a ~200 lb 19 year old male, what steps should I be taking to work on my cardio. I was thinking that perhaps I could try to run a mile on the treadmill after each lifting session (thats 5 days/week), until its no longer hard.

Sound like a good first step?

PS I'm currently in bulk mode so take that into consideration

Comment

And yes, quitting smoking would obviously be the best first step toward improving conditioning. I'm going to quit once I can afford a vaporizer (should be within the next month or so).

Comment

I would just play basketball every time possible. That's my favorite for of cardio and I always feel better the more I play.
        When I was 23 at 220 I was trying to train for the FBI fitness test. I'd run a mile and a half straight everyday no matter what. I'd play ball but when I got home I made sure somewhere down the line I'd run my mile and a half. I'd also divide the mile and a half in say threes and run the thirds at a faster pace with a break between them.
        This is all just for performance right? If so the basketball playing is your best bet, just make sure you are trying the whole time and running hard even if it's half court.

Comment

If you're trying to gain, why wouldn't you just do some steady state cardio a few days a week and see how that does it for you? And by a smoker, I'm taking it you mean POT? If this is the case, you'd be better off not even doing shit till you stopped using that crap. Recreational drugs have no place in the bb'er's arsenal. Use your head and make QUITTING your first priority.
          STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by bmp View Post
            And yes, quitting smoking would obviously be the best first step toward improving conditioning. I'm going to quit once I can afford a vaporizer (should be within the next month or so).
            This is nothing more than a major copout...and a reason not to quit...
            Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

I'd say just start off slow, give yourself a couple of weeks to ease into it and adapt to the workload. Keep note of your cals so you don't go into 'bulk fat mode'
              Originally posted by thsfootball
              Stressing about what's catabolic- catabolic

Comment

thanks for the input guys

@big ross, I would play ball more but I pretty much go to the gym by myself. So in the event that I have nobody to play with, I guess I'll just run.

@steel1970, I guess the running I was referring to "running a mile after hitting the weights" can be considered steady state, right? what should my target heart rate be, around 65-70% of max heart rate?

@Heckman, Appreciate your input. I guess I should've been more clear. When I said "quitting" I was specifically referring to quitting smoking. A vaporizer creates a vapor by heating things just below their heat of combustion. No smoke is produced. It is not bad for your lungs.

Comment

Working...
                X