Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gym Ettiquete

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gym Ettiquete

    Let's add to this and see if we can produce a decent sticky.

    GYM ETTIQUETE


    1. Wipe down your machine or bench when you are done.
    2. Try to be polite and offer other members to work in with you when appropriate.
    3. Don't curl in the squat rack (beat you all).
    4. Don't stand in front of the dumbbell rack. Give others room to use the weights.
    5. Making some noise in the gym is understandable (straining, dropping 140 lb dumbbells, deadlifting, etc.), but necessary screaming or cussing is moronic especially if your only benching 135 lbs.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

    Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

  • #2
    Take off the damn weights and stop thinking you are Johnny Badass because you can 1/8th rep 6 plates on the leg press. A lot of old people go to the gym too who don't use anything but 10 lb plates. Now they have to get someone to remove all your weights.

    Comment


    • #3
      Put shit back when you are done with it. From 45 pound plates, dumbbells, magnetic microplates, to exercise balls. I don't need to clean up after you. Take a little pride in your gym.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dice77 View Post
        Put shit back when you are done with it. From 45 pound plates, dumbbells, magnetic microplates, to exercise balls. I don't need to clean up after you. Take a little pride in your gym.
        THIS! drives me crazy when theres crap all over the place. If you're strong enough to use the weights, you're strong enough to put them back.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by height_11 View Post
          THIS! drives me crazy when theres crap all over the place. If you're strong enough to use the weights, you're strong enough to put them back.
          It makes me very angry late on the weekends when the only person working in the place is a college girl at the counter. I don't think its very nice to expect her to put away 45 pound plates or 90 pound dumbbells. Yet I see a few guys use the shit and high tail it out of there They must of got their pump on and are heading off to the club.

          Can we make that a rule? No coming to the gym and pumping up before you head out to the dance club.

          Comment


          • #6
            If you're man enough to put 900# on the leg press, you're man enough to rack that shit too.

            My list of gym pet peeves is long, mainly because I hate 99.98% of people.
            You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

            Comment


            • #7
              And, if you're at a French gym, don't take three towels with you in order to reserve three pieces of equipment for a tri-set when, instead of doing the three exercises back to back before a break, you stop to chat with your Moby look-alike friend for seven minutes (or more) BETWEEN each exercise of your intended tri-set, lol.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Daniel7908 View Post
                And, if you're at a French gym, don't take three towels with you in order to reserve three pieces of equipment for a tri-set when, instead of doing the three exercises back to back before a break, you stop to chat with your Moby look-alike friend for seven minutes (or more) BETWEEN each exercise of your intended tri-set, lol.
                This sounds pretty specific...hmmm.
                1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

                Truenutrition.com
                Use Discount Code AMJ

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dice77 View Post
                  Put shit back when you are done with it. From 45 pound plates, dumbbells, magnetic microplates, to exercise balls. I don't need to clean up after you. Take a little pride in your gym.
                  This to a T, my gym has labels for what size weights go where. One pt sorts it all out but then everyone just messes it up anyway. Bunch of retards!
                  Originally posted by thsfootball
                  Stressing about what's catabolic- catabolic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I like when they put the 10lb plates under a bunch of 45's.
                    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

                    Truenutrition.com
                    Use Discount Code AMJ

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                      I like when they put the 10lb plates under a bunch of 45's.
                      LOL. I dug the 2.5's out today.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The issue in many cases that I've noticed in training at some newer gyms recently with lots of "newbies" is that the management doesn't establish any etiquette and most members are just following / doing what's being done and actually simply don't know better.

                        I think there are probably a lot of considerate, nice, well-meaning, polite kids and adults who who don't know they should re-rack their weights or that leaning against / sitting on the DB rack when no one seems to be using it is poor form.

                        Sucks when a new gym opens and neglects that small amount of effort to establish etiquette that create an entirely different vibe, or so I'm guessing. (I may be a bit hopeful here...) In my experience, this is b/c the owners / managers don't know proper etiquette (big box gyms).

                        I will add one, though:

                        -Be observant enough to know that is someone's training their ass off, breathing like a locomotive, in the middle of a strip set, looking like they might throw up and/or pass out, extraordinarily focused, has their headphones blaring, or doing something you don't recognize / understand, this is perhaps a good time to re-consider
                        ---Talking to them at all, esp. without making eye contact
                        ---Asking how much weight they're lifting, whether they compete, what their body fat percentage is, etc.
                        ---Or simply assuming they would like to engage in a conversation before politely asking something like, "Hey, got a second?..."

                        ------------

                        -S
                        The Book Has Arrived!
                        The Book Has Arrived!

                        Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


                        www.TrueNutrition.com

                        2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                          I think there are probably a lot of considerate, nice, well-meaning, polite kids and adults who who don't know they should re-rack their weights or that leaning against / sitting on the DB rack when no one seems to be using it is poor form.

                          -S
                          I agree with this except: at the 24hr fatness I go to there are signs about every 2 feet at eye level that say "please re-rack your weights" So unless you are Tlopez you can't miss them...lol
                          Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                            The issue in many cases that I've noticed in training at some newer gyms recently with lots of "newbies" is that the management doesn't establish any etiquette and most members are just following / doing what's being done and actually simply don't know better.

                            I think there are probably a lot of considerate, nice, well-meaning, polite kids and adults who who don't know they should re-rack their weights or that leaning against / sitting on the DB rack when no one seems to be using it is poor form.

                            Sucks when a new gym opens and neglects that small amount of effort to establish etiquette that create an entirely different vibe, or so I'm guessing. (I may be a bit hopeful here...) In my experience, this is b/c the owners / managers don't know proper etiquette (big box gyms).

                            I will add one, though:

                            -Be observant enough to know that is someone's training their ass off, breathing like a locomotive, in the middle of a strip set, looking like they might throw up and/or pass out, extraordinarily focused, has their headphones blaring, or doing something you don't recognize / understand, this is perhaps a good time to re-consider
                            ---Talking to them at all, esp. without making eye contact
                            ---Asking how much weight they're lifting, whether they compete, what their body fat percentage is, etc.
                            ---Or simply assuming they would like to engage in a conversation before politely asking something like, "Hey, got a second?..."

                            ------------

                            -S
                            Originally posted by Heckman View Post
                            I agree with this except: at the 24hr fatness I go to there are signs about every 2 feet at eye level that say "please re-rack your weights" So unless you are Tlopez you can't miss them...lol
                            I run all the day to day operations in a small 24 hr fitness center in central Texas. When I first started here I would re-rack/put away every single weight, bar, etc. 2-3 times/day during my 10+ hours at the club. I eventually put up signs by much of the equipment (leg press, smith machine, squat rack), and still nothing got better. I took the signs down because they looked tacky and didn't do any good anyways. I still put away all my weights when I train, all my clients weights when training others, and still pick up the club at least once/day. It doesn't help... within 1-2 hours of me putting everything away everything is all jacked up again, and we only have 1000 members.

                            I wish people just didn't know better... but I think it really just comes down to people being super lazy at the end of the day.
                            -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
                            -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
                            198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
                            -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
                            198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
                            -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
                            198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Heckman View Post
                              I agree with this except: at the 24hr fatness I go to there are signs about every 2 feet at eye level that say "please re-rack your weights" So unless you are Tlopez you can't miss them...lol
                              Damn!

                              I always re-rack my my weights. Cause like SkinnyMike said, "A lot of old people go to the gym too who don't use anything but 10 lb plates". haha!

                              My biggest pet peeve is when teens are incline benching with 35 lbs dumbbells and they slam them down like they're 120's.
                              2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

                              2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

                              2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

                              2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total


                              Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X