Gym Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
    In due time with age and grey hair you'll learn it doesn't matter because when I was younger I probably would have ended in a fight because my mouth would have gone non stop
    But in the end, doing that particular exercise put a smile on my face (metaphorically speaking, I probably looked more like I got hit by a truck) and I left the gym thoroughly satisfied and temporarily crippled lol

Had I not waited, I probably would have been bitter at those folks for making me go to another exercise, but waiting just made me realize how inconsiderate their actions were without holding any further resentment. Hell, maybe they were just having a really shitty day... I'll take it for what it's worth and hopefully they have a little more respect in the future.

Yeah, sometimes I don't know how my mind works either...but I felt better after getting down to business with what I planned on doing. :bb:
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
      But in the end, doing that particular exercise put a smile on my face (metaphorically speaking, I probably looked more like I got hit by a truck) and I left the gym thoroughly satisfied and temporarily crippled lol

Had I not waited, I probably would have been bitter at those folks for making me go to another exercise, but waiting just made me realize how inconsiderate their actions were without holding any further resentment. Hell, maybe they were just having a really shitty day... I'll take it for what it's worth and hopefully they have a little more respect in the future.

Yeah, sometimes I don't know how my mind works either...but I felt better after getting down to business with what I planned on doing. :bb:
      Well take it for what it's worth, why did an exercise make or break your day? I'm not questioning your motive by any means, I know I discuss this in my journal, but at about your age bodybuilding consumed me and I was all about not missing a work out at any cost and eating my meals blah blah blah you know the story.

Fast forward to today, I've been to hell and back and (helenback, pizza joint here in florida) and have a son, divorced, dated, been a train wreck, went and got professional help, constantly needing something to make me, ME. Now shit like that I couldn't care less. I'm not sure where I'm going with this post but hopefully you can pull something out of it, lol. I don't let stuff like that bring me down, I've had cancer, called in sick and the police officer I was supposed to ride with that day get in a shootout and killed in the line of duty. It's nothing in the grand scheme of life, I know it's a rant thread but just food for thought
      For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
        Well take it for what it's worth, why did an exercise make or break your day? I'm not questioning your motive by any means, I know I discuss this in my journal, but at about your age bodybuilding consumed me and I was all about not missing a work out at any cost and eating my meals blah blah blah you know the story.

Fast forward to today, I've been to hell and back and (helenback, pizza joint here in florida) and have a son, divorced, dated, been a train wreck, went and got professional help, constantly needing something to make me, ME. Now shit like that I couldn't care less. I'm not sure where I'm going with this post but hopefully you can pull something out of it, lol. I don't let stuff like that bring me down, I've had cancer, called in sick and the police officer I was supposed to ride with that day get in a shootout and killed in the line of duty. It's nothing in the grand scheme of life, I know it's a rant thread but just food for thought

No I see where you you are coming from but this was my Widowmaker and has a special place in my heart.

This is also my first week back in the gym after not training for over a month. I set aside "me time" to train, and no, I did not HAVE to do that particular exercise, but I had the option to if I waited. And weighing my options, either doing something else or waiting and doing something that truly satisfies me. I did not have anything else going on, so I figured, yeah, I want to wait and do what I want to do.

Going through my recent health turmoils has made me realize how lucky I am to be able to train, eat and live as I do and I value that time I put in and want to be able to enjoy my training. If leaving the gym in a truly satisfied state means waiting a little while to do the things I really like doing, then so be it. Like I said, I am not carrying a black cloud over me because I had to wait.

I know what you are saying about looking at the grand scheme, but if I can bring a little more happiness into my day, is that not a good thing?

I do realize that life is about balance, you can't enjoy all life has to offer if you allow yourself to be consumed by one aspect. And at least from what I've seen in myself, when my life is in greater balance I enjoy the things I do all the more because they are all that I am thinking about or involved in at the moment.

I really do appreciate you offering up your wisdom. Obviously, you have "been there, done that" and know your way around the block and taking the time to share your experiences for others to learn from is admirable. Thanks DCB.
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

"I quit asking "Can I work in?"

Now, if the person is a machine hog, I simple tell them I am going to work in.
          If they have a problem, I refer them to the gym rules.

"Allow others to work in" is always on there." -Lee Salado

I used to just wait, but now I think about what Lee said. Did this yesterday. A guy was on three machines and doing pull ups in rotation. I went to the rope pull down station and he says to me," I have two sets left on this". I said, "I'm going to work in." He replies, "maybe you didn't hear me. I have two sets left on this." I said, "well I'm going to work in while you are on the other three machines, okay." He says under his breath as he walks away, "what an asshole." I just smiled.
          2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Amen tlopez
            [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
            Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Hey Doberman - why three different memberships? BTW - funny rant, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post

I would be pissed if I had missed an exercise just because of some douchebag. As long as I got it in before I left, I would probably leave happy and forget about it. BUT if I didn't get a chance to do it, I would prob be asking myself "why I allowed that bullshit to slide" for the rest of the day. So yes, I can understand why that exercise was important to you.

Luckily my gym has a "must allow others to work in" rule posted on the walls.
                My log: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=47064

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
                  "I quit asking "Can I work in?"

Now, if the person is a machine hog, I simple tell them I am going to work in.
                  If they have a problem, I refer them to the gym rules.

"Allow others to work in" is always on there." -Lee Salado

I used to just wait, but now I think about what Lee said. Did this yesterday. A guy was on three machines and doing pull ups in rotation. I went to the rope pull down station and he says to me," I have two sets left on this". I said, "I'm going to work in." He replies, "maybe you didn't hear me. I have two sets left on this." I said, "well I'm going to work in while you are on the other three machines, okay." He says under his breath as he walks away, "what an asshole." I just smiled.
                  That's the way you have to do it. They aren't entitled to hog the machine or station any more than you are. We have to share, but if you don't ask, it's harder for them to say 'no'. Especially if you are polite, and matter-of-factly about it.
                  Lee Salado, E.P.A.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                    Round 4Yes I found myself in the same gym and my favorite trainer was back at it. This time she had three sets of dumbells in front of her client. Of course I needed one of the dumbells that was just laying in front of them. I said, "Do you mind if I work in with you on one of those dumbells?" She again gave me the tone she gave before, "No we are using all of these." I looked over every now and then while I was doing something else and none of the bells had been used. I was up for the exercise now. I walked up and grabbed one of the dumbells and said, "I'm going to work in I'll hand it right back." She said, "Oh yeah you can borrow it." as if she didn't know before what I had asked. I said, "I would think so since you have so many laying there."
                    Bump, had a similar situation today, but escalated much further.

Was doing shoulder/legs at the gym today, after doing HS press and laterals I do one "widowmaker" set of behind the neck presses. Anyway there is a guy jumping between 4 different machines, taking over 10min each rotation. After he get off the shoulder press station I walked over and pull the weights off to put mine on. He runs over from the lat pulldown and says "WTF are you doing, I'm not done with that".

Me: I'm just doing one set, I will be done in a minute.

Him: You can wait till I'm done.

Me: I point to the rule board on the wall and tell him "You must let others work in between sets".

Him: "I don't give a **** about the rules. You touch the weights again and I will **** you up"

I start pulling off the weights again. He grabs it from me and puts it back on.

Him: You can use it when I'm done, I got one more. Don't touch the weights or I will **** you up. (He proceeds to walk back to the lat pulldown.

Me: Do your set now. (He comes back and sits on shoulder press seat). Well do your set...

Him: I will do it when I'm ready.

Me: Do it I'm not waiting. (he finally does it).

I informed the gym manager about it and he had a talk with the other member. I probably should have brought it to his attention sooner, waited probably 45 minutes.

It amazed me that people will threaten you with bodily harm over something so small, so much for a civilized society.
                    My log: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=47064

Comment

Originally posted by PBRevolution View Post
                      so much for a civilized society.
                      Who told you it was civilized?!
                      PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Working...
                      X